Electromagnetism and Beta Decay

In summary, the conversation is about a middle schooler participating in a STEM fair with a scientific question regarding the impact of electromagnetic influence on particle trails from beta decay. The student has had difficulty finding helpful resources and has come up with a hypothesis based on their limited knowledge. They are now looking for guidance in finding more information, and it is mentioned that a magnetic field would cause the electrons to curve in a circular or helical path, which aligns with the student's hypothesis. An elementary college physics text is suggested as a resource for further information.
ShrodingersCat
Hello!

I am participating in a STEM fair(I am a middle schooler), and my scientific question is :
Does the angle of the particle trails increase from beta decay when you introduce an electromagnetic influence?

I have been at a loss for finding a helpful site. The ones that I have come across are mediocre, or cross over into an advanced field that I am not prepared to look into.

My endeavors for researching an answer were all in vain, so I inferenced my hypothesis with what limited knowledge I have.

I am currently browsing through different online databases(Duke, Cornell, etc). If anyone could guide me to a site,book, or person that would be awesome!
Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
A magnetic field will make the beta decay electrons curve in a circular or helical path.
Any elementary college physics text should describe this.

Thanks! That is what i had hypothesized.

1. What is electromagnetism?

Electromagnetism is a fundamental force of nature that describes the interactions between electrically charged particles. It is responsible for the behavior of electric and magnetic fields, and plays a crucial role in many physical phenomena, including beta decay.

2. What is beta decay?

Beta decay is a type of radioactive decay in which an unstable atomic nucleus emits a beta particle (electrons or positrons) to become more stable. This process is governed by the weak nuclear force and can occur in certain elements with an excess of neutrons in their nucleus.

3. How does electromagnetism relate to beta decay?

Electromagnetism plays a crucial role in beta decay by causing the emission of beta particles from unstable atomic nuclei. This is because beta particles are electrically charged and are affected by the electric and magnetic fields within the nucleus.

4. What is the difference between alpha and beta decay?

Alpha decay is a type of radioactive decay in which an unstable atomic nucleus emits an alpha particle (two protons and two neutrons) to become more stable. This process is governed by the strong nuclear force and is typically seen in heavier elements. In contrast, beta decay involves the emission of beta particles and is governed by the weak nuclear force.

5. How is beta decay used in technology?

Beta decay has many practical applications, including in nuclear power plants to generate electricity and in medical imaging techniques such as positron emission tomography (PET). It is also used in carbon dating to determine the age of organic materials, and in industrial processes such as food preservation and sterilization.