Max torque on a couple to cause slip

In summary, the conversation is about a problem with a coupling that is intended to transfer torque. One side of the coupling has male and female threads, and there are two friction surfaces that will carry the torque. The person is trying to calculate the maximum torque that can be transmitted through the conical section of the coupling, and they are using formulas to approximate this value.
CaptainofIron
So I've been spinning my wheels (I guess I should say slipping, haha) on this problem we've been having

We have a coupling intended to transfer torque:

One side of the coupling is a smaller insert that slides inside of a larger nut. The insert has male threads on one side and the nut has female threads on the other side.

The insert has 2 friction surfaces that will carry the torque, 1 is a flat ring, the other is a conical section inclined at 37 degrees

I need to calculate the maximum torque the joint will carry until the insert will slip inside of the nut.

Here is a sketch of both friction surfaces
Case 1:
case1_zps2f799d6a.jpg

Case 2:
case2_zps81e97b39.jpg

So I solved the first one, the flat ring, hoping that it would provide enough frictional resistance so that we could properly torque the male threads on the insert, but its close. Now I am looking at the conical section in case 2 trying to figure that out, but its been a WHILE since I have done this.

for case 1 I got T=(2*μ*(F/(Ro^2-Ri^2))*((Ro^3-Ri^3)/3)

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
in advance for any help you can provide! For case 2, you'll need to take into account the angle of inclination which will affect the co-efficients of friction. The formula you have provided is for a flat surface; however, you can use this formula to approximate the maximum torque that can be transmitted through the conical section. To do this, you'll need to calculate the normal force acting on the conical section, which can be determined using the formula: F=μ*N, where μ is the coefficient of friction and N is the normal force. Once you have the normal force, you can then calculate the maximum torque that can be transmitted through the conical section using the formula T=(μ*F)*((Ro^3-Ri^3)/3).

1. What is the definition of "max torque on a couple"?

The "max torque on a couple" refers to the maximum amount of force that can be applied to a pair of objects in opposite directions, causing them to rotate around a common axis.

2. How is the max torque on a couple calculated?

The max torque on a couple is calculated by multiplying the force applied to one object by the distance between the two objects.

3. What is the significance of the max torque on a couple?

The max torque on a couple is an important measurement in understanding the stability and strength of a structure or system. It helps determine the maximum amount of force that can be applied before the objects slip or rotate.

4. Can the max torque on a couple be exceeded?

Yes, it is possible to exceed the max torque on a couple, but doing so can result in slip or failure of the objects. It is important to consider the max torque and stay within its limits to ensure stability and safety.

5. How can the max torque on a couple be increased?

The max torque on a couple can be increased by increasing the distance between the objects or by applying a greater force. However, it is important to consider the strength and stability of the objects involved before attempting to increase the max torque.