Where did the radian come from (Torque)?

• Thread starter raddian
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Torque
In summary: I = M r. The radius R is the distance from the center to any point on the circumference of the circle. Radians are a unit of measure for angular velocity, and are denoted by the symbol \frac{r}{s}. The SI unit of angular velocity is the radian per second."In summary, the radians came from the fact that angular velocity is measured in radians and the moment of momentum is measured in meters.
raddian
In the simple torque equation:

[tex] \tau_z = \alpha_z \times I [/tex]

[tex] \frac{\tau_z}{I} = \alpha_z [/tex]

Finally:

[tex] \frac{10 N.m}{10 kg.m^2} = \alpha_z [/tex]

[tex] \frac{10 kg.m^2}{10 kg.m^2.s^2} = \alpha_z [/tex]

[tex] 1 \frac{rad}{s^2} = \alpha_z [/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
raddian said:
In the simple torque equation:

[tex] \tau_z = \alpha_z \times I [/tex]

[tex] \frac{\tau_z}{I} = \alpha_z [/tex]

Finally:

[tex] \frac{10 N.m}{10 kg.m^2} = \alpha_z [/tex]

[tex] \frac{10 kg.m^2}{10 kg.m^2.s^2} = \alpha_z [/tex]

[tex] 1 \frac{rad}{s^2} = \alpha_z [/tex]

Do you use Google?

Yes. I understand that a "radian" is an angle measure. But radian is nonexistent in the formula.

What are the units of angular velocity? Of angular acceleration?

Angular velocity: rad/s

Angular acceleration: rad/s^2

maybe i should use an analogy

In the formula for acceleration:

[tex] a = \frac{\Delta V}{time} [/tex]

[tex] a = \frac{\frac{m}{s} - \frac{m}{s}}{s} [/tex]

The formula explicitly shows that [tex] a = \frac{m}{s^2}[/tex]

In the formula for torque, torque (τ) and the moment of momentum (I) do not have the units of "radians", hence my question: Where did the radians come from?

Radians are really dimensionless. The units of angular velocity are simply ## \text{s}^{-1} ##. We usually add "radians" so that we can distinguish that from other possible dimensionless units, such as "revolutions" or "degrees".

Likes 1 person
voko said:
Radians are really dimensionless. The units of angular velocity are simply ## \text{s}^{-1} ##. We usually add "radians" so that we can distinguish that from other possible dimensionless units, such as "revolutions" or "degrees".

Yes, I see. Two questions: if the answer for acceleration (given the torque equation) was written as ## x \frac{rad}{s} ##, why doesn't the value change from ## 1 \text{s}^{-1} ## to ## \frac{1 rad}{2\pi sec} ##. Would ## x \frac{deg}{s} ## be any different?

How do you use "#..#"?

Last edited:
hi raddian! welcome to pf! :smile:
raddian said:
if the answer for acceleration (given the torque equation) was written as x rad/s, would x °/s be any different?

(you mean /s2 :wink:)

yes! you need to convert from radians to degrees, using π = 180° :wink:
How do you use "#..#"?

you type two #s and two #s after :smile:

Likes 1 person
Just like 2 degress is very different from 2 radians, 2 degrees per second is very different from 2 radians per second. You convert between the two exactly as you would convert between degrees and radians for simple angles. So ## 1 \ \text{rad} \ \text{s}^{-2} ## which you got previously gets converted to ## 57 \ ^ \circ \text{s}^{-2} ## by multiplying the former with ## 180^\circ \over \pi ##.

You may be asking yourself "how do I know which dimensionless unit I should use"? It is very simple: in science, anything related to angles is done in radians by default. Then the result may be converted to degrees or revolutions or something else.

Regarding the use of #..#, this is just a shorthand for the itex tag, just like $ .. $ is a shorthand for the tex tag. Note you need two #'s and two $'s on each side.

Likes 1 person
But because ## \alpha = \frac{10 N.m}{10 kg.m^{2}} ##

shouldn't the answer technically be ## 1 \frac{}{s^{2}} ##? And isn't ## 1 \frac{}{s^{2}} ## very different from ## 1 \frac{rad}{s^{2}} ##?

The answer as ## 1 \ \text{s}^{-2} ## is perfectly correct. We know that it means ##1 \ {\text{rad} \over \text{s}^2} ## because we know that our default measure for angles is radians.

Likes 1 person
Voko your answer led me on the right path to http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:w8p0JeQq9gMJ:mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/64034.html+&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk. Thank you all for your answers.

The angular acceleration can be [itex]α=\frac{rad}{s^{2}}[/itex], because the angular velocity is [itex]ω=\frac{rad}{s}[/itex] (how many rads per second the matter moves on a circle).
Now the rad on a circle is connected to meters, because knowing the radius of the circle, you can determine how many meters the particle has moved, just by knowing how radians have changed. So for an obvious one, the full circle would be 2π (rads) and the length in meters is the well know 2πR
The nice thing is that radians are dimensionless (the dimensions were absorbed into the radius)

The radian is a natural unit of arc - scientists and mathematicians on another planet / continent / age would all eventually find themselves using radians, quite independently (not the same name, of course). The use of 360 degrees or 100 divisions or whatever, is quite arbitrary.

d[itex]\frac{sin(x)}{dx}[/itex]=cos(x) if x is expressed in radians. That is why many formulae use the radians unit.

raddian said:
maybe i should use an analogy

In the formula for acceleration:

[tex] a = \frac{\Delta V}{time} [/tex]

[tex] a = \frac{\frac{m}{s} - \frac{m}{s}}{s} [/tex]

The formula explicitly shows that [tex] a = \frac{m}{s^2}[/tex]

In the formula for torque, torque (τ) and the moment of momentum (I) do not have the units of "radians", hence my question: Where did the radians come from?
Now I (think) understand your question.

The answer is that when we derive the formulae used in circular movement we suppose the angles are measured in radians.

From wiki:
"Let R be the radius of the circle, θ is the central angle in radians"

The arc length is s = [itex]\frac{\theta}{R}[/itex]

Theta is dimensionless, you could use degrees or turns, but the formula is derived supposing it is measured in radians.

You can measure angles in degrees (even in dB) but then you should use another formulae.

alva said:
d[itex]\frac{sin(x)}{dx}[/itex]=cos(x) if x is expressed in radians. That is why many formulae use the radians unit.

The current that flows through a capacitor is
i =C[itex]\times[/itex][itex]\frac{dV}{dt}[/itex]

If the voltage is v(t) = V[itex]_{0}[/itex][itex]\times[/itex]sin(w.t)

the current will be i(t) = C.w.cos(wt)

and the impedance of the capacitor will be w.C if w is expressed in radians

alva said:
and the impedance of the capacitor will be w.C if w is expressed in radians

The impedance of a capacitor is 1/(w.C). My mistake.

From wiki:

Sound intensity level or acoustic intensity level is a logarithmic measure of the sound intensity (measured in W/m2), in comparison to a reference level.

The measure of a ratio of two sound intensities is

L= 10 . log[itex]_{10}[/itex][itex]\frac{I1}{I0}[/itex] dB

where I0 is the reference level.

The result of this formula has to be expressed in dB. Why? It is dimensionless. Where did the dB come from? From the way we used to derive it.

Honestly, I do not feel comfortable with my own answers.

help me please

please solve the integral in the attached file

Attachments

• B2.docx
    27.7 KB · Views: 256
alva said:
From wiki:
where I0 is the reference level.

The result of this formula has to be expressed in dB. Why? It is dimensionless. Where did the dB come from?

"dB" means wrt I0

it's a way of saying what the log of I/I0 is :smile:

(Basma Elyan, please start a new thread)

tiny-tim said:
"dB" means wrt I0

it's a way of saying what the log of I/I0 is :smile:

I think the question posed by the OP is "Where did the dB/radians come from?"
Not "What is a dB/radian?"

1. What is a radian and how is it related to torque?

A radian is a unit of measurement for angles, and it is closely related to torque. Torque is the measure of the turning force on an object, and it is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis of rotation. The radian is used to measure the angle through which the force acts, and it is equal to the ratio of the arc length subtended by an angle to the radius of the circle.

2. Where did the concept of radian come from?

The concept of radian was first introduced by Roger Cotes in the 18th century, although it was used by mathematicians and astronomers long before then. It was developed as a more convenient way to measure angles, as it eliminates the need for conversion between degrees, minutes, and seconds.

3. How is torque measured in radians?

Torque can be measured in radians by using the formula T = Fr, where T is the torque, F is the force applied, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation. The result will be in newton-meters (Nm) which is the SI unit for torque. Alternatively, torque can also be measured in pound-feet (lb-ft) by using the formula T = Fr/12, where r is in feet.

4. Can torque be measured in other units besides radians?

Yes, torque can also be measured in degrees, revolutions, or any other unit of angular measurement. However, the use of radians is preferred in most scientific and engineering contexts because it simplifies calculations and eliminates the need for unit conversions.

5. Why is it important to understand the concept of radians in relation to torque?

Understanding the concept of radians is important in order to accurately calculate and analyze torque, which is a fundamental concept in physics and engineering. It is also necessary for understanding other concepts such as rotational motion and angular velocity. Furthermore, the use of radians as the standard unit for angles allows for consistency and accuracy in scientific calculations and measurements.