Can You Connect Two Aquariums with a Tube Without Causing Overflow?

In summary, the conversation discussed the possibility of creating a connective tube between two fish tanks to allow an eel to swim between them. Various solutions were suggested, including raising the smaller tank on wooden planks or keeping the water levels equal by adjusting the tanks' positions. The idea of using a siphon tube was also brought up, but it was determined that it would require a large pump and may not be practical. The conversation concluded with the decision to raise the smaller tank and the suggestion to use felt for the eel to move over any air barriers in the tube.
mtsafer
Hello, I have two fish tanks next to each other. One is big (36 gallons, about 2 feet tall), one is smaller (10 gallons, about a foot tall). I want to make a connective tube so that my eel can swim between the two tanks but I don't want either tank to overflow. I am not adverse to raising the shorter tank on wooden planks. Is there a way to make this work or am I doomed to failure? Also if my eel swims through it will it make a siphon and flood a tank?

EDIT: The tube goes over the tops of the fish tanks, not through the walls.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The water will want to be at the same absolute level in both tanks. Your best bet is to position them so that their upper sides are level. If not, you might be able to control the situation with a pump - but if it fails, things can get nasty.

If not, you might be able to control the situation with a pump - but if it fails, things can get nasty.

Well, forget about this. If the water levels are a foot apart, and the diameter of the tube is just 3 cm, the application of Torricelli's law yields 1.7 l of water per second, so you would need a pump with the flow rate of 6 cubic meters, or 1600 gallons, per hour. That is significantly in excess of the recommended flow rate 230 gallons per hour for your tanks combined.

mtsafer said:
I am not adverse to raising the shorter tank on wooden planks. Is there a way to make this work or am I doomed to failure?

Also if my eel swims through it will it make a siphon and flood a tank?

EDIT: The tube goes over the tops of the fish tanks, not through the walls.
With the glass wall top edges at equal height you will not overflow. Make sure that the siphon tube contains less water than the head space available in the tanks. The head space is height above the water but below the tank top edge.

You can ignore the effect of the eel.

You will have to fill the siphon and make sure that its lower edges are never above the the water surface.

You are not using the siphon to transfer liquid but you may find this interesting

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you everyone! I am going to raise the smaller fish tank and I have confidence now that nothing will overflow. This is going to be a very cool setup that I have never seen before!

You could always have the lower tank sealed, in which case you could have it at any height. It could be an interesting situation if it were actually a level below the bottom of the upper tank. If the joining tube went from the top of the lower tank to low down in the top tank, you could aerate into the bottom tank and the bubbles would flow up through the tube. You could use standard plumbing fittings, once you have the holes made in the glass.
The eels might enjoy that and it would certainly be a conversation piece.

Failing that, just keep the surfaces of the two tanks the same, using blocks. The eel won't make it all overflow or syphon.

Thanks, I don't want to drill the tanks, that's why the tube is going over the tops. Plus I don't think it's practical to seal the lower tank since then I wouldn't be able to do maintenance on it. That is an interesting idea and if I ever make a fish tank, maybe I'll make a weird shape like that.

I get the picture now. If the pipe is full of water then the two water levels will always be the same (equalise, automatically) and the eel may just cause a small flow in the pipe, whilst swimming through, but the water will re-balance when he's through.
The connecting pipe will need to be kept full of water in some way or bubbles will find their way in it and form an air barrier for the eel - although, if you give him some felt to squirm on, he can probably get over a small air filled hump at the top of the inverted U. They do go over land at times, I believe.
How exciting. Keeping eels! Much more interesting than Koi.

:D Thanks! If worse comes to worse I could drill a small hole in the pipe and install a pump to suck air out to it will fill back up with water

1. How do I calculate the pressure at the bottom of an aquarium?

To calculate the pressure at the bottom of an aquarium, you can use the formula P = ρgh, where P is the pressure, ρ is the density of the fluid (water), g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the water column. Make sure to use consistent units (such as meters for h and kilograms per cubic meter for ρ) to get an accurate result.

2. Why do fish need a certain amount of water in an aquarium?

Fish need a certain amount of water in an aquarium because it provides enough water for them to swim and move around, ensures enough oxygen is present for them to breathe, and helps maintain a stable environment. The water also acts as a buffer against sudden changes in temperature, pH levels, and other factors that can harm the fish.

3. How does temperature affect the water level in an aquarium?

Temperature affects the water level in an aquarium through thermal expansion. As the temperature of the water increases, the molecules move faster and take up more space, causing the water level to rise. Conversely, as the temperature decreases, the water level will decrease due to the molecules moving slower and taking up less space.

4. What is the ideal flow rate for an aquarium filter?

The ideal flow rate for an aquarium filter is typically around 3-5 times the volume of the tank per hour. So, for a 20-gallon tank, the filter should have a flow rate of 60-100 gallons per hour. However, this can vary depending on the type and number of fish in the tank, the type of filter being used, and other factors. It's important to do research and adjust the flow rate accordingly to ensure proper filtration and water quality.

5. How does the shape of an aquarium affect its water flow?

The shape of an aquarium can affect its water flow in several ways. For example, a taller, narrower tank will have a stronger, more concentrated flow compared to a wider, shallower tank. The placement of inlets and outlets for filters and pumps can also impact the water flow. Additionally, the presence of decorations and plants can create obstacles and change the flow pattern in the tank.