The universal gravitational constant (G)

In summary, the tool Dimensional analysis can be used to derive how the Period of a pendulum, T, is dependent on string length and acceleration of gravity. However, one needs to know apriori that the Period is only dependent on these two parameters. Additionally, the gravitational constant connects mass to distance and time.
Yoni
A most common tool in engineering is "Dimensional Analysis":
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimensional_analysis

This tool can provide you with the dependence and scale. For example, using Dimensional analysis one can easily derive how the Period of a pendulum, T, is dependent on string length and acceleration of gravity thus: [itex] T \propto \sqrt{ \frac{l}{g} } [/itex]
The problem of course is that you need to know apriori that the Period is only dependent on string length and gravity, and not anything else (For example, if you don't neglect air viscosity the answer will be different).

Now, I tried the method on planets and asked how is the Period of a planet circling the sun dependent on other parameters. I assumed that the Period is only dependent on distance from the sun and the sun's mass. Of course, no time unit can be derived from mass and distance. So I was stuck!

I realized that I was missing something, and that something was the universal gravitational constant (G). But then it got me thinking what is G??

Can I say that this constant connects TIME to MASS and DISTANCE?

I guess general relativity addresses this, so I post this here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the gravitational constant connects mass to distance and time. Just as by taking the speed of light (c) to be 1 we get ability to measure time in meters or length in seconds. By analogy, by taking G to be 1, we get the ability to measure mass in meters.

One funny thing is that we know better the mass of the Sun in meters than in kilograms. We are able to precisely measure the mass of the Sun in meters using various relativistic phenomena. Then we can derive the mass in kilograms knowing the value of G, but the accuracy of the measurements of G is lower than the accuracy of measurements of the Sun mass in meters.

You don't even need relativity. Newtonian mechanics does quite nicely. Solar system astronomers never use mass. They use an object's gravitational parameter. The object's mass is it's gravitational parameter divided by G. The gravitational parameter is highly observable for the Sun and those planets that have satellites. That one has to divide by G to obtain mass in mass units means mass is known to a significantly reduced precision. Another way of looking at it: We can measure masses of the moons, planets, and the Sun in units of length3/time2 to a much higher degree of precision than in units of mass.

1. What is the universal gravitational constant (G)?

The universal gravitational constant (G) is a fundamental physical constant that represents the strength of the gravitational force between two objects. It is denoted by the letter G and has a value of approximately 6.674 x 10^-11 Nm^2/kg^2.

2. How is the universal gravitational constant (G) measured?

The universal gravitational constant (G) is typically measured using a device called a torsion balance, which measures the gravitational force between two masses. This force is then used to calculate the value of G.

3. Why is the universal gravitational constant (G) important?

The universal gravitational constant (G) is important because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of objects in the universe. It is a key component in the law of universal gravitation, which explains the force of gravity between two objects.

4. Is the universal gravitational constant (G) a constant value?

Yes, the universal gravitational constant (G) is considered to be a constant value. However, there have been some recent studies that suggest it may vary slightly in different regions of the universe.

5. How does the universal gravitational constant (G) relate to other fundamental constants?

The universal gravitational constant (G) is related to other fundamental constants, such as the speed of light and Planck's constant, through the theory of general relativity. It is also used in calculations for other physical phenomena, such as the escape velocity of a planet or the mass of a black hole.