Bond length = Bond strength ?

In summary: For example, a double bond is stronger than a single bond and a triple bond is stronger than a double bond. In summary, there is a general relationship between bond length and bond strength, where shorter bond lengths typically result in stronger bonds. However, there can be exceptions to this rule, such as in molecules with heavy atoms or with different types of atoms involved. Additionally, as atomic number increases, bond strength may decrease, leading to less stable molecules. Data from various sources support this general trend, but there can be variations depending on the specific atoms and molecules involved.
Dr. Nick
Bond length, Bond strength, relationship ?

Is this always true ? And why? My answer to this question would be, having larger electron density between two nuclei, thus attraction, allows them to position more closely.

But somehow I think that there could be some exceptions of this rule, maybe in molecules of heavy atoms with many subvalece orbital not allowing them to be at close range, but still having strong bonds with good overlap.

Or, if this rule is absolutely and always true, I would say that bond strength decrease as atomic number increases (throughout period system), and molecules of atoms with larger number of orbital and electrons are less stabile.

edit:i've fixed the title
... :) well I've tried

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
No, this is not always the case. Take for example F2 and Cl2; the bond lengths are 142 and 199 pm, respectively. The bond energies, however, are 158 and 243 kJ, respectively.

Another example (where one atom is kept constant) would be a C-N and a C-Cl bond. The C-N bond is 147 pm, the C-Cl, 177 pm. The energies are 308 and 330 kJ, respectively.

Data are from http://www.science.uwaterloo.ca/~cchieh/cact/c120/bondel.html

For anyone that is confused by the title, I'm quite sure the OP is talking about the usual inverse relationship between bond-length and bond strength.

1. What is bond length?

Bond length is the distance between the nuclei of two bonded atoms. It is measured in units of picometers (pm) or angstroms (Å).

2. How does bond length affect bond strength?

In general, shorter bond lengths correspond to stronger bonds. This is because shorter bonds have a higher electron density between the nuclei, resulting in a stronger attraction between the atoms.

3. Are there any exceptions to the relationship between bond length and bond strength?

Yes, there are exceptions. For example, triple bonds are shorter than double bonds, but they are not necessarily stronger. This is because triple bonds have a higher bond order, meaning that there are more bonds holding the atoms together.

4. How is bond strength measured?

Bond strength is typically measured in terms of bond energy, which is the energy required to break a bond. This can be calculated using various experimental techniques, such as spectroscopy or calorimetry.

5. Can bond strength be changed?

Yes, bond strength can be changed by altering the conditions under which the bond is formed. For example, increasing the temperature or pressure can affect the strength of a bond. Additionally, different types of bonding, such as covalent, ionic, or metallic bonding, have different strengths and can be manipulated through various methods.