Solving the Motion Equation of a Projectile

In summary, the projectile is shot from the ground under an angle alpha and the path is in the x,y plane. The projectile has an initial speed given by v0 and the first integration regards to t gives x(dot) = constant = x(dot)(0) = vo*cos(alpha) and y(dot)(t) = -g*t + constant = -g*t + v0*sin(alpha). The second integration regards to t gives x(t) = (v0*cos(alpha))*t and y(t) = -1/2*g*t² + (v0*sin(alpha))*t. The path is found by solving the y equation for t
Flukkie
I have a question about this classical mechanics application.

Given is a point with mass m and speed v0. It gets shot from the ground under an angle alpha.
Wanted is the path of this projectile.

This is a two dimensional example so I need to find the motion equation.

I know that m*x(double dot) = Fx = 0
and m*y(double dot) = Fy = -m*g

so x(double dot) = 0
and y(double dot) = -g

The initial speed is given by :
v0 = v0*cos(alpha)*1x + v0*sin(alpha)*1y (vectorial notation)

Then they say that the first integration regarded to t gives:
x(dot) = constant = x(dot)(0) = vo*cos(alpha) and
y(dot)(t) = -g*t + constant = -g*t + v0*sin(alpha)

I don't see how they come to this result. Can someone explain this?

Further they say that the second integration regarded to t gives:
x(t) = (v0*cos(alpha))*t
y(t) = -1/2*g*t² + (v0*sin(alpha))*t

Then they say that the path of the object is in the x,y plane with equation y = F(x)
Now they ask me to find that F(x).
They say you can do it by elimination of the variable t (t= x/(v0*cos(alpha))) Can anyone explaine me how they find this value for t and how this elimination procedure works?

Many thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Flukkie
I have a question about this classical mechanics application.

Given is a point with mass m and speed v0. It gets shot from the ground under an angle alpha.
Wanted is the path of this projectile.

This is a two dimensional example so I need to find the motion equation.

I know that m*x(dubble dot) = Fx = 0
and m*y(dubble dot) = Fy = -m*g

so x(dubble dot) = 0
and y(dubble dot) = -g

The initial speed is given by :
v0 = v0*cos(alpha)*1x + v0*sin(alpha)*1y (vectorial notation)

Then they say that the first integration regarded to t gives:
x(dot) = constant = x(dot)(0) = vo*cos(alpha) and
y(dot)(t) = -g*t + constant = -g*t + v0*sin(alpha)

I don't see how they come to this result. Can someone explain this?

I wish we had the dot notation! You will find that, even if it does not offer everything, this site offers much more then most in the way of notation.

To your question, let me use a prime (') in place of the dot
We have
x'(t) = C
Note that I added the implied variable, now we need to evaluate the constant for all time, we have the initial condition of

x'(0)=v0Cos(α)

But since x'(t)=C we must have C=v0Cos(α)
repeat this logic to get evaluate your constant of integration for the y equation.

Further they say that the second integration regarded to t gives:
x(t) = (v0*cos(alpha))*t
y(t) = -1/2*g*t² + (v0sin(alpha))*t

Then they say that the path of the object is in the x,y plane with equation y = F(x)
Now they ask me to find that F(x).
They say you can do it by elimination of the variable t (t= x/(v0*cos(alpha))) Can anyone explaine me how they find this value for t and how this elimination procedure works?

Many thanks in advance!

Simply solve your equation for x(t) for t, then take the resulting function of x and subsitiute it into your y(t) equation.

In the future you may wish to post such questions to our Homework help fourm.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help!
I think I get the picture :-)
If I have any further questions about this application, I'll post them here.

1. What is the motion equation of a projectile?

The motion equation of a projectile is a mathematical representation of the trajectory or path of an object that is thrown or launched into the air. It takes into account the initial velocity, acceleration due to gravity, and time elapsed to predict the position of the projectile at any given time.

2. How do you solve the motion equation of a projectile?

To solve the motion equation of a projectile, you need to know the initial velocity, acceleration due to gravity, and time elapsed. You can then use the equations of motion, such as the kinematic equations, to calculate the position, velocity, and acceleration of the projectile at any given time.

3. What are the components of the motion equation of a projectile?

The motion equation of a projectile has three main components: the initial velocity, the acceleration due to gravity, and the time elapsed. These components are used to calculate the position, velocity, and acceleration of the projectile at any given time.

4. What factors can affect the motion equation of a projectile?

The motion equation of a projectile can be affected by various factors, such as air resistance, wind, and the shape and weight of the object. These factors can alter the initial velocity and acceleration of the projectile, thus changing its trajectory.

5. Why is solving the motion equation of a projectile important?

Solving the motion equation of a projectile is important in understanding and predicting the behavior of objects in motion. It is used in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and sports, to analyze and optimize the trajectory of projectiles, such as projectiles launched from a cannon or a ball thrown by an athlete.