Error estimates for fuctions

• Thread starter Benny
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Error
From there, you can substitute n into the Taylor polynomial to get the values of x for which the replacement is valid. In summary, for both questions, you need to use Taylor polynomials and the remainder equation to approximate a number and determine the validity of a function replacement within a specified error margin.
Benny
I'm not understanding questions where I need to determines values of x for which one function can be replaced by another with a specified maximum allowable error. I'm also having trouble trying to approximate a number to a specified number of decimal places. Here are two questions that I would like some help with.

1. Use Taylor polynomials to approximate the given number to four decimal places. (You may assume that 2 < e < 3)

e^(1/2) is the number.

2. For what values of x can we replace sqrt(1+x) by 1 + (x/2) with an error of less than 0.01?

------

1. If I recall correctly then [tex]e^x = \sum\limits_{n = 0}^\infty {\frac{{x^n }}{{n!}}} \Rightarrow e^{\frac{1}{2}} = \sum\limits_{n = 0}^\infty {\frac{1}{{n!}}} \left( {\frac{1}{2}} \right)^n [/tex].

Just to give myself an idea of the numbers I'm working with I used a calculator to obtain e^(1/2) = 1.648721271.

So I need to find a value of n which will give me a number which is within 4 decimal places of e^(1/2).

I have the remainder equation [tex]R_n = \frac{{f^{\left( {n + 1} \right)} \left( c \right)}}{{\left( {n + 1} \right)!}}\left( {x - a} \right)^{n + 1} [/tex] for some c between x and a.

I'm not sure how to apply it to this question. I think question 2 requires the same thing but again I'm not sure how to apply the remainder equation. Can someone please help me out?

Physics news on Phys.org
1. For your first question, you can use the Taylor polynomial to approximate e^(1/2). You can start by writing out the Taylor series for e^x: e^x = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{x^n}{n!}Now substitute x = 1/2 into this equation and you have your Taylor polynomial approximation of e^(1/2). To get the value to four decimal places, you need to take the sum up to n = 4, which gives you an approximate value of 1.6487.2. For the second question, you need to use the remainder equation to determine the values of x for which the replacement is valid. The remainder equation is given by: R_n = \frac{f^{(n+1)}(c)}{(n+1)!}(x-a)^{n+1} where f(x) is the original function (in this case, sqrt(1+x)), c is a point between x and a (in this case, a = 0, since sqrt(1) = 1), and n is the order of the Taylor polynomial. To determine the values of x for which this replacement is valid, you need to find an n such that R_n < 0.01. To do this, you can set R_n = 0.01 and solve for n. This will give you the maximum allowable error of 0.01.

As a scientist, it is important to be able to accurately approximate functions and determine error estimates. In this case, we are asked to use Taylor polynomials to approximate a given number to four decimal places. This involves finding a value of n that will give us a number within the specified error range. The remainder equation can be used to help with this, as it allows us to estimate the error in our approximation.

For the first question, we can use the Taylor series expansion for e^x to obtain an expression for e^(1/2). Then, by using the remainder equation, we can determine a value for n that will give us an approximation within four decimal places. This can be done by setting the remainder equation to be less than 0.00005 (since we want an error of less than 0.0001) and solving for n.

For the second question, we need to determine the values of x for which we can replace sqrt(1+x) with 1+(x/2) with an error of less than 0.01. This can also be done by using the remainder equation, but in this case we need to find a value of n that will give us an error of less than 0.01. Again, we can set the remainder equation to be less than 0.01 and solve for n.

In both cases, it is important to keep in mind the range of values for x that are specified (2 < e < 3 for the first question, and we need to consider all possible values of x for the second question). With practice, you will become more familiar with using Taylor polynomials and the remainder equation to approximate functions and determine error estimates.

1. What are error estimates for functions?

Error estimates for functions are mathematical tools used to determine the accuracy of a numerical approximation compared to the exact solution of a mathematical function. They provide a quantitative measure of the difference between the two solutions and can be used to assess the reliability of the approximation.

2. How are error estimates for functions calculated?

Error estimates for functions are typically calculated by comparing the numerical approximation to the exact solution of the function. This can be done by using methods such as Taylor series expansions, polynomial interpolation, or numerical integration. The difference between the two solutions is then used to determine the error estimate.

3. Why are error estimates important?

Error estimates are important in order to assess the accuracy and reliability of numerical approximations of mathematical functions. They allow scientists to determine the level of precision and confidence in their results and to make adjustments if necessary. Error estimates are also useful for comparing different methods of approximation and choosing the most appropriate one for a given problem.

4. How can error estimates be used to improve numerical approximations?

Error estimates can be used to improve numerical approximations by identifying the sources of error and making adjustments to reduce them. For example, if the error estimate shows that the approximation is most affected by truncation error, increasing the number of terms in the approximation can improve its accuracy. Additionally, error estimates can be used to fine-tune parameters and improve the overall performance of numerical methods.

5. Can error estimates be used for all types of functions?

Yes, error estimates can be used for all types of functions, including polynomial, trigonometric, exponential, and logarithmic functions. They can also be applied to functions of multiple variables and in different numerical methods such as finite difference, finite element, and spectral methods. However, the accuracy and complexity of the error estimates may vary depending on the type of function and method used.