Questions about Young's Double-Slit experiment and light waves intereference

In summary, the conversation discusses Young's Double-Slit experiment, light wave interference, and the effects of performing the experiment under water. The interference pattern would not be affected due to the mechanical nature of water waves. The phenomenon of a soap bubble turning black before breaking is explained by destructive interference of the reflected light, which is affected by the phase changes at each surface of the soap film. It appears brightest at the outer region because of constructive interference, indicating that the index of refraction of oil is lower than that of water. The conversation also touches on how changing the speed of light in water would affect the interference pattern, with a decrease in wavelength leading to larger spacing between fringes and a decrease
insertnamehere
Hello. I just have some questions about Young's Double-Slit experiment and light wave interference. I think i got the right answers, but i just want to know if i grasped the concept correctly.
1-If we perform young's double slit experiment under water, how would the interference pattern be affected?
-well, since this is performed under water, we would be dealing with water waves, so they can't really diffract once they pass the slits, right? Because they're mechanical waves and lack that property, therefore there would not be any intereference pattern on the screen.

2- As a soap bubble evaporates, it appears black just before it breaks. Explain this phenomenon in terms of the phase changes that occur on reflection from the two surfaces of the soap film.
-i think it turns black before it breaks because at that point, the beams interfered destructively (which explains the darkness). but I'm not really sure...it turns black where the film of the soap bubble is thinnest since color also depends on the thickness of film.

3-A certain oil film on water appears brightest at the outer region, where it is the thinnest. From this information, what can you say about the index of refraction of oil relative to that of water?
-well, since it is brightest at the outer region, constructive interference occurs there, so would the index of refraction of oil be lower than that of water, since if it were larger, the two reflections would be out of phase and interfere destructively.

Did i get the right concept? Please, I need to move on with my assignment, but I can't do so unless I know whether or not I truly understand this. Thank you very much for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
PLEASE! I need feedback or else i won't be able to go on with my assignement! I just want to know if i got the right idea!

insertnamehere said:
1-If we perform young's double slit experiment under water, how would the interference pattern be affected?
-well, since this is performed under water, we would be dealing with water waves, so they can't really diffract once they pass the slits, right? Because they're mechanical waves and lack that property, therefore there would not be any intereference pattern on the screen.
I'm sure they mean the usual Young's double slit experiment--with light, not water waves!--just performed underwater. What changes when light travels through water?
2- As a soap bubble evaporates, it appears black just before it breaks. Explain this phenomenon in terms of the phase changes that occur on reflection from the two surfaces of the soap film.
-i think it turns black before it breaks because at that point, the beams interfered destructively (which explains the darkness). but I'm not really sure...it turns black where the film of the soap bubble is thinnest since color also depends on the thickness of film.
The reflections destructively interfere, but why? (What's the phase change on reflection at each surface?)
3-A certain oil film on water appears brightest at the outer region, where it is the thinnest. From this information, what can you say about the index of refraction of oil relative to that of water?
-well, since it is brightest at the outer region, constructive interference occurs there, so would the index of refraction of oil be lower than that of water, since if it were larger, the two reflections would be out of phase and interfere destructively.
Right. The reflections constructively interfere, which can only happen if they are in phase--which implies that the index of refraction of the oil is less than that of water. (Compare this with question 2.)

Thank you thank you thank you!

Sorry, i just need to clarify one thing.
For my first question, when light travels through water, it's speed would obviously decrease, but the interference pattern shouldn't be affected as the beams themselves would remain in phase, etc... Am I right?

No, not right. If the speed of the light changes, what other characteristic of the light must also change? (Hint: What determines the spacing of the fringes in the interference pattern?)

so if we change the speed of the light, it's wavelength would be affected, therefore it would diffract differently from the slits, thus giving us different interference patterns on the screen (from what we would obtain "on land") But then how would it be different, would there be larger spacing between the fringes since the wavelength would decrease (due to change in medium)?

insertnamehere said:
so if we change the speed of the light, it's wavelength would be affected, therefore it would diffract differently from the slits, thus giving us different interference patterns on the screen (from what we would obtain "on land")
Exactly.
But then how would it be different, would there be larger spacing between the fringes since the wavelength would decrease (due to change in medium)?
You tell me: How does the fringe spacing depend on the wavelength? (Figure it out or look it up!)

fringe separation is directly proportional to wavelength,hence the diffraction becomes more concave?

1. What is the Young's Double-Slit experiment?

The Young's Double-Slit experiment is a famous experiment in physics that demonstrates the wave-like nature of light. It involves passing a beam of light through two parallel slits and observing the resulting interference pattern on a screen.

2. What is the purpose of the Young's Double-Slit experiment?

The purpose of the Young's Double-Slit experiment is to provide evidence for the wave-like nature of light, as opposed to the particle-like nature proposed by Newton's theory of light. It also helps to understand the concept of interference and how it affects light waves.

3. What is the interference pattern in the Young's Double-Slit experiment?

The interference pattern in the Young's Double-Slit experiment is the result of two or more waves of light overlapping and either reinforcing or canceling each other out. This creates a pattern of bright and dark fringes on a screen, demonstrating the wave-like behavior of light.

4. How does the distance between the slits affect the interference pattern in the Young's Double-Slit experiment?

The distance between the two slits in the Young's Double-Slit experiment affects the interference pattern by determining the spacing between the bright and dark fringes. As the distance between the slits increases, the spacing between the fringes decreases, resulting in a wider interference pattern.

5. What does the outcome of the Young's Double-Slit experiment tell us about the nature of light?

The outcome of the Young's Double-Slit experiment supports the wave theory of light, which states that light behaves like a wave and exhibits properties such as interference and diffraction. This experiment also helped to disprove the particle theory of light proposed by Newton.