Using Sigma Notation to Prove \sum_{k=M}^{N} 2^{-k} = 2(2^{-M} - 2^{-N})

I think the part I'm getting stuck on is this:\sum_{k=M}^{N} 2^{-k} = 2^{-M}(\sum_{i=0}^{N} 2^{-i}) There are two different sums here, \sum_{k=M}^{N} 2^{-k} and \sum_{i=0}^{N} 2^{-i}, yet I'm using the same value for the upper limit. How can this be the case? I think I'm getting confused because there are two different values for k and i in the same equation. Can you explain this further?Sure, the reason we can use the same variable is because the two
dekoi
Show that:
[tex]\sum_{k=0}^{N} a_k = \sum_{k=M}^{M+N} a_{k-M}[/tex]

I did this, my answer is:
[tex]\sum_{k=0}^{N} a_k = a_0 + a_1 + a_2 + ... + a_N[/tex]

[tex]\sum_{k=M}^{M+N} a_{k-M} = a_{M-M} + a_{M+1-M} + a_{M+2-M} + ... + a_{M+N-M} = a_0 + a_1 + a_2 + ... + a_N[/tex]

Now, I have to use this to prove that:
[tex]\sum_{k=M}^{N} 2^{-k} = 2(2^{-M} - 2^{-N})[/tex]

So, I tried expanding the sum:
[tex]\sum_{k=M}^{N} 2^{-k} = 2^{-M} + 2^{-(M+1)} + 2^{-(M+2)} + ... + 2^{-N}[/tex]

I factored out some 2's:
[tex]\sum_{k=M}^{N} 2^{-k} = 2^{-M}2^{0} + 2^{-M}2^{-1} + 2^{-M}2^{-2} + ... + 2^{-M}2^{-N} = 2^{-M}(2^{0} + 2^{-1} + 2^{-2} + ... + 2^{-N})[/tex]

Which I'm assuming is equal to some other sum:
[tex]\sum_{k=M}^{N} 2^{-k} = 2^{-M}(\sum_{i=0}^{N} 2^{-i})[/tex]However, I don't know how to continue this. Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: [tex]\sum_{k=M}^{N} 2^{-k} = \sum_{k=0}^{N} 2^{-k}-\sum_{i=0}^{M-1} 2^{-i}[/tex]

That doesn't seem to work.
I get:
[tex]\sum_{k=M}^{N} 2^{-k} = \sum_{k=0}^{N} 2^{-k}-\sum_{i=0}^{M-1} 2^{-i}[/tex]
[tex]\sum_{k=M}^{N} 2^{-k} = (2^{0} + 2^{-1} + 2^{-2} + ... + 2^{-N}) - (2^{0} + 2^{-1} + 2^{-2} + ... + 2^{-M + 1}[/tex]
[tex]= 2^{-N} - 2^{-M+1} = 2^{-N} + 2^{-M}2^{1}[/tex]

Which will not equal to : [tex]2(2^{-M} - 2^{-N})[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
[tex]a_{M}+a_{M+1}+\cdot\cdot\cdot+a_{N-1}+a_{N}=\left( a_{M}+a_{M+1}+\cdot\cdot\cdot+a_{N-1}+a_{N}\right) + \left[ \left( a_{0}+a_{1}+\cdot\cdot\cdot+a_{M-1}\right) - \left( a_{0}+a_{1}+\cdot\cdot\cdot+a_{M-1}\right) \right] [/tex]
[tex] \left[ \left( a_{M}+a_{M+1}+\cdot\cdot\cdot+a_{N-1}+a_{N}\right) + \left( a_{0}+a_{1}+\cdot\cdot\cdot+a_{M-1}\right) \right] - \left( a_{0}+a_{1}+\cdot\cdot\cdot+a_{M-1}\right) = \left( a_{0}+a_{1}+\cdot\cdot\cdot+a_{N-1}+a_{N}\right) - \left( a_{0}+a_{1}+\cdot\cdot\cdot+a_{M-1}\right)[/tex]

Last edited:
Wait, we posted at the same time.
Read my previous post, I edited it.

I think you mean:

[tex]\sum _{k=M} ^N = 2(2^{-M}\mathbf{)} - 2^{-N}[/tex]

Anyways, I don't know how you'd prove this using what you proved first, but you can prove this if you know that:

2n - 1
= 2n - 20
= 2n + 0 + 0 + ... + 0 - 20
= 2n + (-2n-1 + 2n-1) + (-2n-2 + 2n-2) + ... + (-21 + 21) - 20
= (2n + 2n-1 + ... + 21) - (2n-1 + 2n-2 + ... + 20)
= 2(2n-1 + 2n-2 + ... + 20) - (2n-1 + 2n-2 + ... + 20)
= (2n-1 + 2n-2 + ... + 20)

No, no... I wrote the sum correctly.

AKG is right: [tex]\sum _{k=M} ^N 2^{-k}= 2(2^{-M}\mathbf{)} - 2^{-N}[/tex]

Well it's false so good luck proving it:

M = 3, N = 4

[tex]\sum_{k=M}^{N} 2^{-k} = 2(2^{-M} - 2^{-N})[/tex]

[tex]\sum_{k=3}^{4} 2^{-k} = 2(2^{-3} - 2^{-4})[/tex]

[tex]2^{-3} + 2^{-4} = 2(2^{-3} - 2^{-4})[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{8} + \frac{1}{16} = 2(\frac{1}{8} - \frac{1}{16})[/tex]

[tex]\frac{3}{16} = 2(\frac{1}{16})[/tex]

[tex]3 = 2[/tex]

Good luck.

Here's one way to do it:

[tex]\sum_{k=M}^{N} 2^{-k} = \sum_{k=0}^{N} 2^{-k}-\sum_{i=0}^{M-1} 2^{-i}[/tex]

the later sums are geometric... recall that the partial sum thereof is

[tex]1+r+r^2+r^3+\cdot\cdot\cdot+r^n=\frac{1-r^{n+1}}{1-r}[/tex]

This is going to be tricky... especially since the question I'm given has an error in it itself :S.
I guess I will have to try your methods.

Thank you AKG and benorin.

I'll get back to you if I have any problems.

benorin said:
recall that the partial sum thereof is
[tex]1+r+r^2+r^3+\cdot\cdot\cdot+r^n=\frac{1-r^{n+1}}{1-r}[/tex]

Well, that is the partial sum for a positive n, but in my case-- there is a negative n.
What is the partial sum for :
[tex]\sum_{i=0}^{N} 2^{-i}[/tex]

[tex]2^{-i}=\left( 2^{-1}\right)^{i}=\left( \frac{1}{2}\right)^{i}[/tex]

hence [tex]\sum_{i=0}^{N} 2^{-i}= \sum_{i=0}^{N}\left( \frac{1}{2}\right)^{i} = \frac{1-\left( \frac{1}{2}\right)^{N+1}}{1-\frac{1}{2}}=2\left( 1-2^{-(N+1)}\right)[/tex]

do likewise for [tex]\sum_{i=0}^{M-1} 2^{-i}[/tex] and subtract.

Why am I doing likewise for [tex]\sum_{i=0}^{M-1} 2^{-i}[/tex] ?

This was my last step: [tex]\sum_{k=M}^{N} 2^{-k} = 2^{-M}(\sum_{i=0}^{N} 2^{-i})[/tex]

dekoi said:
Why am I doing likewise for [tex]\sum_{i=0}^{M-1} 2^{-i}[/tex] ?

This was my last step: [tex]\sum_{k=M}^{N} 2^{-k} = 2^{-M}(\sum_{i=0}^{N} 2^{-i})[/tex]

the last term of the sum on left is [tex]2^{-N}[/tex] on the right the last term is [tex]2^{-(N+M)}[/tex], so their not equal.

[tex]2^{-i}=\left( 2^{-1}\right)^{i}=\left( \frac{1}{2}\right)^{i}[/tex]

hence [tex]\sum_{i=0}^{N} 2^{-i}= \sum_{i=0}^{N}\left( \frac{1}{2}\right)^{i} = \frac{1-\left( \frac{1}{2}\right)^{N+1}}{1-\frac{1}{2}}=2\left( 1-2^{-(N+1)}\right)[/tex]

do likewise for [tex]\sum_{i=0}^{M-1} 2^{-i}[/tex], that is

[tex]\sum_{i=0}^{M-1} 2^{-i}= \sum_{i=0}^{M-1}\left( \frac{1}{2}\right)^{i} = \frac{1-\left( \frac{1}{2}\right)^{(M-1)+1}}{1-\frac{1}{2}}=2\left( 1-2^{-M}\right)[/tex]

and subtract:

[tex]\sum_{k=M}^{N} 2^{-k} = \sum_{k=0}^{N} 2^{-k}-\sum_{i=0}^{M-1} 2^{-i}= 2\left( 1-2^{-(N+1)}\right) - 2\left( 1-2^{-M}\right) = 2^{1-M}-2^{-N}[/tex]

Sorry to be short, but got to go...

I don't quite understand.

I realize that your method is correct, but I don't understand why.

What is Sigma Notation?

Sigma notation is a mathematical notation used to represent the sum of a series of numbers. It is written as Σn, where n is the index variable. The index variable starts at a certain value and increases by 1 until it reaches a specified upper limit. The numbers to be summed are written as a function of the index variable.

What is the formula for using Sigma Notation?

The formula for using Sigma Notation is Σn = f(n), where n is the index variable, f(n) is the function of n, and Σ represents the sum of all terms from n=1 to n=N, where N is the upper limit.

What is the purpose of using Sigma Notation?

The purpose of using Sigma Notation is to simplify and condense the representation of a series of numbers. It allows for easier manipulation and calculation of sums, especially when dealing with large numbers or infinite series.

What is the significance of proving \sum_{k=M}^{N} 2^{-k} = 2(2^{-M} - 2^{-N})?

Proving this equation using Sigma Notation shows that the sum of a geometric series with a common ratio of 1/2 can be calculated using a simple formula. This can be applied to various real-world problems, such as calculating compound interest or population growth.

What are the steps to prove \sum_{k=M}^{N} 2^{-k} = 2(2^{-M} - 2^{-N}) using Sigma Notation?

The steps to prove this equation are as follows:

• Write out the left side of the equation using Sigma Notation.
  • Simplify the expression inside the Sigma notation by factoring out 2^-N.
  • Use the formula for the sum of a geometric series to simplify the expression.
  • Replace the upper limit with N and the lower limit with M in the formula.
  • Simplify the right side of the equation to match the left side.
  • Therefore, proving the desired equation using Sigma Notation.