Solve a differential equation for the initial conditions,

In summary: I understand what they were getting at now, ignoring that we didn't have a solution for the general form in order to pursue the differential equation is where I was getting stuck. Both the initial condition and the equilibrium solution are real numbers, so the interval 't' is all real numbers.
mesa
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Solve y' = (y^3)(t^2) for the initial condition y(0)=0 and state in which interval in 't' this solution exists.

The Attempt at a Solution

First I divided both sides by y^3 and then subtracted t^2 from each as well,

-t^2 + y'(y^-3) = 0

then solved,

(-t^3)/3 + (y^-2)/-2 = C

and then uh oh for y = 0 so chugging ahead and leaving 'C' alone for now,

y^-2 = (C + (t^3)/3)/-2

so,

y = [-2/(C+(t^3)/3)]^(1/2)

Therefore (C + (t^3)/3) ≤ 0

I am sure (as usual) I am missing something simple :P

Physics news on Phys.org
mesa said:

y^-2 = (C + (t^3)/3)/-2

I cannot follow this. According to the question, y is zero when t is zero. What do you get for C?

mesa said:

Homework Statement

Solve y' = (y^3)(t^2) for the initial condition y(0)=0 and state in which interval in 't' this solution exists.

The Attempt at a Solution

First I divided both sides by y^3 and then subtracted t^2 from each as well,

-t^2 + y'(y^-3) = 0

then solved,

(-t^3)/3 + (y^-2)/-2 = C

y^-2 = (C + (t^3)/3)/-2

so,

y = [-2/(C+(t^3)/3)]^(1/2)

Therefore (C + (t^3)/3) ≤ 0

For [itex]y(0) \neq 0[/itex] it is the case that the solution only exists when [itex]3C + t^3 < 0[/itex]. But for [itex]y(0) = 0[/itex] that method doesn't work at all. And in fact [itex]y(t) = 0[/itex] is a solution of [itex]y' = y^3t^2[/itex] which satisfies [itex]y(0) = 0[/itex].

Pranav-Arora said:
I cannot follow this. According to the question, y is zero when t is zero. What do you get for C?

Sorry, let me explain where I am coming from. We have,

(-t^3)/3 + (y^-2)/-2 = C

With the (1/-2y^2) term I get infinity for 'C'. That's my sticking point, so obviously I',ve goofed this up and there is another way to solve for 'C'?

pasmith said:
For [itex]y(0) \neq 0[/itex] it is the case that the solution only exists when [itex]3C + t^3 < 0[/itex]. But for [itex]y(0) = 0[/itex] that method doesn't work at all. And in fact [itex]y(t) = 0[/itex] is a solution of [itex]y' = y^3t^2[/itex] which satisfies [itex]y(0) = 0[/itex].

I'm sorry but I am not quite following what you are saying. Should I not solve for the general form?

mesa said:
I'm sorry but I am not quite following what you are saying. Should I not solve for the general form?

You've done that, and shown that there is no choice of C for which y(0) = 0. At that point you need to find another approach.

In any event, if you have the initial condition [itex]y(0) = D[/itex], and it is obvious on inspection that [itex]y' = 0[/itex] when [itex]y = D[/itex], then the solution is [itex]y(t) = D[/itex] and you can save yourself some work.

Likes 1 person
pasmith said:
You've done that, and shown that there is no choice of C for which y(0) = 0. At that point you need to find another approach.

In any event, if you have the initial condition [itex]y(0) = D[/itex], and it is obvious on inspection that [itex]y' = 0[/itex] when [itex]y = D[/itex], then the solution is [itex]y(t) = D[/itex] and you can save yourself some work.

It's the not working in the general form that is bothering me but I think I have this one figured out.
Here is what I sent to my Professor,

Our y(0)=0 is saying our general form:
y = [-2/(t^3/3+C)]^(1/2) which is also = to 0 when t = 0

So we need a negative value for our ((t^3/3+C) to keep our square root happy.

we also have our other form,
(-t^3)/3 + y^(-2)/-2 = C and t=0 so,

0+ 1/0 = C, except I should have kept in mind that our division by 0 is still a negative if we take the limit as we approach 0 for our 'y' since we have that '-2' coefficient in the denominator so really we have,

lim y-->0 1/-2y^2 = 1/-0 = C which is = to -infinity

And then our square root in the general form is satisfied and the Universe doesn't blow up, thank goodness!
So we can now state the interval 't' is all real numbers. That seems right but...

I feel satisfied with this although I also like the explanation I just saw from the Professor.

Last edited:
Edit:

mesa said:

What (s)he was trying to state is that y = 0 is an equilibrium solution of the differential equation. What would this imply about the equation?

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
smize said:
What (s)he was trying to state is that y = 0 is an equilibrium solution of the differential equation. What would this imply about the equation?

I understand what they were getting at now, ignoring that we didn't have a solution for the general form in order to pursue the differential equation is where I was getting stuck. Both are solved at this point so I am satisfied unless someone else has something to add?

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is used to model various physical phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. What are initial conditions in a differential equation?

Initial conditions are the values of the dependent variable and its derivatives at a specific starting point. They are used to determine the unique solution to a differential equation.

3. How do you solve a differential equation for initial conditions?

To solve a differential equation for initial conditions, you must first identify the type of differential equation and then use appropriate mathematical techniques such as separation of variables, substitution, or integrating factors. The initial conditions are then used to find the specific values of the constants in the solution.

4. What are the applications of solving a differential equation for initial conditions?

Solving a differential equation for initial conditions is essential in many scientific and engineering fields. It can be used to model real-world situations such as population growth, radioactive decay, and chemical reactions. It is also crucial in predicting and analyzing the behavior of complex systems.

5. Can differential equations be solved analytically or only numerically?

Some differential equations can be solved analytically, meaning that an explicit formula for the solution can be found. However, many differential equations cannot be solved analytically and require numerical methods to approximate the solution. These methods involve using computers to perform calculations and obtain an approximate solution.