Why is the derivative of absolute value of x (x*x')/abs(x)

In summary: Thank you for pointing that out to me and helping me out!In summary, the derivative of abs(x) should be x/abs(x) but it is actually x'(abs(x)/x) which is equal to x. This difference is not important and can be ignored.
Andres2313874
I have no problem that I am trying to solve but simply a question about the derivative of an absolute value equation. I know that the derivative of and absolute value function is (x*x')/(abs(x)) and I understand the process of reaching this equation through the process shown here.

http://www.sinclair.edu/centers/mathlab/pub/findyourcourse/worksheets/Calculus/DerivativesInvolvingAbsoluteValue.pdf

I would like to know why one cannot give the answer of (abs(x))/(x*x') instead of the equation I mentioned earlier. Their graphs are exactly the same and do not have any differences I can find other than the equation.

For example the derivative of abs(x) should be x/abs(x) but the graph of abs(x)/x is defined for all the same values and also returns all the same values and the proper answer. Please help me understand why the latter equation is considered incorrect and not the derivative of the abs(x).

Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct that in general, if ##y## is real-valued and nonzero,
$$\frac{y}{|y|} = \frac{|y|}{y}$$
To see why, start with ##|y|^2 = y^2##, and divide both sides by ##y|y|##.

So why would abs(y)/y be considered incorrect for the derivative of abs(y) if you say they're equal?

It's not incorrect. It is a perfectly valid alternative expression.

[edit] What I mean to say is that
$$\frac{x \cdot x'}{|x|} = \frac{|x| \cdot x'}{x}$$
However, I don't think either of these is equal to
$$\frac{|x|}{x \cdot x'}$$
which is the expression you gave above.

Great. Now I just need to get that into the head of my Calculus teacher. Thanks!

I edited my previous post with a clarification. I'm not sure about the expression (abs(x))/(x*x') you proposed above.

Yeah sorry. I meant the derivative of x being x'(x/abs(x)) also being equal to x'(abs(x)/x)

Still have to prove that my answers right to my teacher though. Thank you again. I know it might seem stupid but this question had been bothering me for a while and finding out I'm right feels good.

Another thing to notice which might make it clearer is the following:
$$\frac{y}{|y|} = \begin{cases}
1 & \text{ if }y > 0\\
-1 & \text{ if }y < 0\\
\text{undefined} & \text{ if }y = 0
\end{cases}$$
and ##|y|/y## is exactly the same.

Yeah, I tried explaining that to my calc teacher and he just said that it was incorrect because they were not the same. At the time I did not realize I could prove the abs(x)/x to be equal to x/abs(x) so I just let it go.

1. What is the derivative of absolute value of x?

The derivative of absolute value of x is equal to the product of x and its derivative, divided by the absolute value of x.

2. Why is the derivative of absolute value of x equal to (x*x')/abs(x)?

This is because the derivative of absolute value of x can be expressed using the quotient rule (f'(x)= (g(x)*f'(x) - f(x)*g'(x))/[g(x)]^2), where g(x) = |x| and f(x) = x. Simplifying this expression results in (x*x')/abs(x).

3. Does the derivative of absolute value of x exist at x=0?

No, the derivative of absolute value of x does not exist at x=0 because the function is not differentiable at this point. The left and right hand limits of the derivative are not equal, which means that the derivative is undefined at x=0.

4. How do you find the derivative of absolute value of x using the limit definition?

The derivative of absolute value of x can be found using the limit definition by taking the limit of the difference quotient (f(x+h)-f(x))/h as h approaches 0. This involves considering the different cases of x being positive, negative, or equal to 0.

5. What is the geometric interpretation of the derivative of absolute value of x?

The geometric interpretation of the derivative of absolute value of x is the slope of the tangent line to the graph of the function at a specific point. This slope changes depending on the direction of approach to the point, which is why the derivative does not exist at x=0.