Calc I: Raising Limits to Functional Exponents

So the limit is infinite in the latter case.The limit is 0 if and only if f(x) = o(1). In this case, for each positive number k, there exists a positive number ε such that for every x < ε, -k < f(x) < k.One example is f(x) = x^2 and g(x) = x. Then we havex^{2x} = \exp(2 x \ln x), so \lim_{x \to 0+} x^{2x} = 0.
LemuelUhuru

Homework Statement

Suppose ##f(x)## and ##g(x)## [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] 0 as x [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] 0+. Find examples of functions f and g with these properties and such that:

a.) ## \lim_{x\rightarrow 0+} { f(x)^{g(x)} = 0 } ##

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

Let ## f(x) = 2^x-1 ## and ## g(x) = x ##

## \displaystyle \lim_{x\rightarrow 0+} ({2^x-1})^{x} = (2^{x^2}-1^{x}) = (1-1) = 0##

My experience with limits is basic, recently while experimenting with expressions approaching infinity I was told that if you obtain an indeterminate then you need to further simplify the expression, in this case substituting x for zero immediately reduced my expression to one which is an determinate. I imagine this means there is no need to simplify and that my solution is invalid, therefore I am confused on how to proceed.

Thank you in advanced for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
LemuelUhuru said:
## \displaystyle \lim_{x\rightarrow 0+} ({2^x-1})^{x} = (2^{x^2}-1^{x}) = (1-1) = 0##
Take another look at this. What did you do wrong? :tongue:

LemuelUhuru said:

Homework Statement

Suppose ##f(x)## and ##g(x)## [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] 0 as x [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] 0+. Find examples of functions f and g with these properties and such that:

a.) ## \lim_{x\rightarrow 0+} { f(x)^{g(x)} = 0 } ##

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

Let ## f(x) = x^2-1 ## and ## g(x) = x ##

My experience with limits is basic, recently while experimenting with expressions approaching infinity I was told that if you obtain an indeterminate then you need to further simplify the expression, in this case substituting x for zero immediately reduced my expression to one which is an determinate. I imagine this means there is no need to simplify and that my solution is invalid, therefore I am confused on how to proceed.

Thank you in advanced for the help.

Your "equation" ##(2^x - 1)^x = 2^{x^2} - 1^x## is false. For example, when x = 2 the left-hand-side is 9 while the right-hand-side is 15.

In general we have
[tex] (2^x-1)^x = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} {x \choose n} (-1)^n \, 2^{(2-n)x}.[/tex] The series is finite if x is a positive integer, and is infinite if x > 0 is non-integer.

1. What is the definition of a limit in Calculus?

A limit in Calculus is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a function near a specific input value. It is represented by the symbol "lim" and is used to determine the value that a function approaches as the input value gets closer and closer to a specific value.

2. How do you raise a limit to a functional exponent?

To raise a limit to a functional exponent, you can use the limit laws of calculus. These laws state that the limit of a function raised to a power is equal to the limit of the function raised to that power. In other words, if the limit of a function is equal to a certain value, then raising it to a power will not change that value.

3. What is the purpose of raising limits to functional exponents?

The purpose of raising limits to functional exponents is to simplify complex functions and make them easier to work with. By raising a limit to an exponent, we can manipulate the function algebraically and evaluate its limit more easily.

4. Can you give an example of raising a limit to a functional exponent?

Sure, let's say we have the function f(x) = x^2 and we want to find the limit as x approaches 2. By simply plugging in 2 for x, we get f(2) = 2^2 = 4. However, if we raise the limit to a functional exponent, we get lim x->2 (x^2)^2 = lim x->2 x^4 = 2^4 = 16. This makes it easier to evaluate the limit.

5. Are there any restrictions when raising limits to functional exponents?

Yes, there are certain restrictions when raising limits to functional exponents. One important restriction is that the exponent must be a constant. This means that the exponent cannot contain any variables or depend on the input value. Additionally, the limit must exist for the function before raising it to a power. If the limit does not exist, then raising it to a power will not change that fact.