Error: your goal weight is greater than your starting weight

In summary: PF go there.In summary, the conversation centers around the FitDay website and using it to track food intake and nutrition. The conversation also touches on the topic of calorie intake, weight goals, and dieting. Some users share their experiences with the website and their own eating habits. There is also a discussion on obesity and nutrient deficiencies, as well as the challenges of following a vegetarian or vegan diet. The conversation ends with a mention that many users from the Physics Forums also use the FitDay website.
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
:rofl: this is hilarious

I was just filling out a food diary to see what I've been eating in calories today, when I see a tab to fill in your weight goal. Ok, I fill it in.. and get an error: your goal weight is greater than your starting weight. Seriously, it does not want to take the goal weight, it must be criminal to want to gain a few pounds :biggrin:

I'm guilty of eating 3300 calories today, they should lock me up o:)

Attachments

• Picture 6.png
    Picture 6.png
    9.9 KB · Views: 446
Physics news on Phys.org
Lol...I guess the thought of dieting to gain weight just never occurred to them!

Monique said:

Zowie. You a bicyclist?

Monique said:
:rofl: this is hilarious

I was just filling out a food diary to see what I've been eating in calories today, when I see a tab to fill in your weight goal. Ok, I fill it in.. and get an error: your goal weight is greater than your starting weight. Seriously, it does not want to take the goal weight, it must be criminal to want to gain a few pounds :biggrin:

I MADE A THREAD EXACTLY LIKE THIS ON ANOTHER FORUM LAST YEAR. ITS FUNNY. oh sorry caps lock was on. i didnt look at the attachment but I am guessing this is fitday.

Haha, same thing happened to me on that website a few years ago.

Meaningless since I still weigh the same.

As a general observation, not only does the U.S. lead the world in obesity, I would guess it leads in its opposites too - anorexia and bulimia.

Loren Booda said:
As a general observation, not only does the U.S. lead the world in obesity, I would guess it leads in its opposites too - anorexia and bulimia.

Unfortunately, EU follows closely in USA's footsteps. At least for obese ppl. Numbers are raising at an alarming rate.

berkeman said:
Zowie. You a bicyclist?
You ask that a Dutch person, of course :rofl:
Just not the sporty type of bicyclist that you are probably referring to :uhh:

I actually thought I would be low on calories, because I was low on groceries and only had stale bread with peanut butter for breakfast/lunch. I did have a delicious diner after visiting the Chinese grocery store. It turns out that ice cream and a handful of peanuts contributed a whopping 1500 calories.

Funny that other people ran into the same thing. It's indeed the FitDay website, their food diary is actually quite good. I think I'll follow my diet for a few days and see how I do nutrition-wise.

Snacks contribute primarily to the daily calories, despite what people seem to think. Skipping one of the two/three proper meals a day therefore is a really bad idea.

2-3 meals a day with an absolute minimum of snacks (apple > *) is the way to go. Fortunately I have to neither gain or lose weight, just stay in shape. Good thing I love swimming o:)

*waves at fellow Dutchie Monique* :biggrin:

Monique said:
Funny that other people ran into the same thing. It's indeed the FitDay website, their food diary is actually quite good. I think I'll follow my diet for a few days and see how I do nutrition-wise.

I have this crazy idea of mine, that a mirror is better than any website :P

DanP said:
I have this crazy idea of mine, that a mirror is better than any website :P

Nah, mirrors can lie. :biggrin: (Or at least let you delude yourself.)

I don't think Monique needs the website to know if she's gaining or losing weight, but is more interested in finding out if the foods she's eating to gain weight are giving her a nutritionally balanced diet.

It's one of those interesting oxymorons of obesity (not that Monique is aiming for obesity, just that is probably the group of people that site is designed for) that people who are obese often have nutrient deficiencies in spite of such excessive calorie consumption, because what they are eating has a lot of fats and sugars, but not much in vitamins and minerals, and sometimes not even balanced proteins.

For another type of diet, those who follow vegetarian or vegan diets, such a site would also be very helpful to inform them if they are getting adequate fats and complete proteins in their diet. Getting complete protein is the biggest challenge for someone who eats a vegetarian or vegan diet, because you need to mix and match your vegetables properly. It can be done, one just needs to check it's being done right, especially if they are just starting out with such a diet and are learning how to be healthy on it.

Moonbear said:

I don't think Monique needs the website to know if she's gaining or losing weight, but is more interested in finding out if the foods she's eating to gain weight are giving her a nutritionally balanced diet.

It's one of those interesting oxymorons of obesity (not that Monique is aiming for obesity, just that is probably the group of people that site is designed for) that people who are obese often have nutrient deficiencies in spite of such excessive calorie consumption, because what they are eating has a lot of fats and sugars, but not much in vitamins and minerals, and sometimes not even balanced proteins.

For another type of diet, those who follow vegetarian or vegan diets, such a site would also be very helpful to inform them if they are getting adequate fats and complete proteins in their diet. Getting complete protein is the biggest challenge for someone who eats a vegetarian or vegan diet, because you need to mix and match your vegetables properly. It can be done, one just needs to check it's being done right, especially if they are just starting out with such a diet and are learning how to be healthy on it.

that site is more used to track quantities of calories fat, carbs etc. it doesn't really tell you if what you are eating is a good calorie or bad calorie. when someone is trying to gain oe lose weight, they must eat above or below their maintenance levels. some hardgainers may think theyre eating 1000s and 100s of calories due to their weak appetites.when they plug in what they eat, they find that the reason theyre not gaining is they have barely eaten mainteneance. this site allows them to slowly increase their foods until the number of calories in is greater than the number of calories out. the goal weight feature isn't necessary.

the site has another flaw. it says my daily maintenance calories are 3300 calories. i put I am mostly sedentary so that can't be right,

Moonbear said:

Mirror, mirror on the wall, who is the fairest of them all ?
Mirror, mirror, on the wall, Can't you show me tall and slim?:devil:

Yeah, I know Monique is a smart chick and doesn't need a website to know if she gains. My post is just an expression of my fascination with simple things. (As Stephen King would say, "With all things nineteen.")

sportsstar469 said:
the site has another flaw. it says my daily maintenance calories are 3300 calories. i put I am mostly sedentary so that can't be right,

What's your weight, estimated bf% and activity level ?

If you want to gain weight you should visit a body building website. They know how to put on weight. And not just muscle weight.

leroyjenkens said:
And not just muscle weight.

True. A lot of fat too :P

Moonbear said:

[..]

Indeed, it's more about "what is in the food" and "how much of it". I think it is good for anyone to be aware of what they are eating. I found out the website also breaks down the foods into basic components, guess what: this vegetarian has a 99% RDA vit. B12 intake and I haven't even had diner yet :tongue: (if I did want to get advice from a nutritionist on how to complete my diet, it would be of a huge help to already have my diet documented).

My BMI is in the healthy range so I am really not worried. I just don't want to end up like Kurdt, my boyfriend always says he likes to carry a bit of extra weight in case of a crisis :biggrin:

DanP said:
Yeah, I know Monique is a smart chick

:bugeye: (Holy smokes! Delete or run? Delete or run? Run!)

berkeman said:
:bugeye: (Holy smokes! Delete or run? Delete or run? Run!)

Cmmon :P She is cool enough to accept a compliment for what is it :P

1. Why am I getting the error message "your goal weight is greater than your starting weight"?

This error message is typically shown when the goal weight you have entered is higher than your current starting weight. This is because it is not realistic or healthy to try to lose weight that you do not have.

2. Can I still set my goal weight higher than my current starting weight?

While it is not recommended, you can still choose to set your goal weight higher than your starting weight. However, it is important to keep in mind that this may not be a healthy or sustainable approach to weight loss.

3. What should I do if my goal weight is higher than my starting weight?

If you receive this error message, it is recommended that you adjust your goal weight to be lower than your starting weight. This will allow for a more realistic and achievable weight loss journey.

4. How can I determine a healthy and realistic goal weight?

The best way to determine a healthy and realistic goal weight is to consult with a healthcare professional. They can take into account your age, height, and overall health to help you set a safe and achievable goal weight.

5. Will I be able to track my progress if my goal weight is lower than my starting weight?

Yes, you will still be able to track your progress even if your goal weight is lower than your starting weight. The important thing is to focus on making healthy and sustainable lifestyle changes rather than just reaching a specific number on the scale.