8 letter word for a efficient grouping of cardiac muscle cells

In summary, the Google search is helping the person try to find an answer to the last problem on the homework crossword. They are fairly certain that the word is syncytium, but it does not fit the definition. They are hoping that the crosswordmakers made a mistake.
TWertz
Doing a homework crossword and this is the last problem. I can't seem to find it anywhere.

An efficient grouping of cardiac muscle cells, eight letters long ending in M.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Biology news on Phys.org
Thread moved to homework help forums. Welcome to the PF, TWertz! We can't give out answers to homework/coursework questions here, but we can offer hints and tutorial thoughts, as long as you do the bulk of the work.

What have you found so far that is close? What are the different muscle types called? What is *special* about cardiac muscles...? What could the word "efficient" mean in this conntext?

Cardiac, Smooth, and skeletal.
I was looking at striated but I'm fairly certain that one one connected to this one on the crossword is correct so it has to end in m.

I'm fairly certain that efficient has to do with automaticity. I keep coming up with syncytium but it doesn't fit. I'm just stumped here.

Can you tell me if I'm correct? I just found mesoderm, but it's only the middle of 3 cell layers, so I'm not sure why it would be efficient?

TWertz said:
Can you tell me if I'm correct? I just found mesoderm, but it's only the middle of 3 cell layers, so I'm not sure why it would be efficient?

Not sure about that one. I found a good 9-letter word ending in M, does that count?

it's probably syncytium, but it doesn't fit! I'm hoping they just made a mistake on the crossword.

TWertz said:
it's probably syncytium, but it doesn't fit! I'm hoping they just made a mistake on the crossword.

Yeah, that's where I ended up.

This google search is helping my search, but I may have to get back to work soon!

efficient grouping of +cardiac muscle cells

I'm going to move this back to Medical Sciences.

Just hints please folks, not the answer since it's for homework. Thanks!

1. What is the 8 letter word for a efficient grouping of cardiac muscle cells?

The 8 letter word for an efficient grouping of cardiac muscle cells is "syncytia".

2. How is syncytia formed in cardiac muscle cells?

Syncytia is formed when individual cardiac muscle cells fuse together to form a larger, multi-nucleated cell.

3. What is the purpose of syncytia in cardiac muscle cells?

The purpose of syncytia in cardiac muscle cells is to allow for coordinated and efficient contraction of the heart.

4. Are syncytia only found in cardiac muscle cells?

No, syncytia can also be found in other types of muscle cells, such as skeletal and smooth muscle cells.

5. Can syncytia be harmful to the heart?

In some cases, syncytia can contribute to abnormal heart rhythms and can be associated with certain cardiac diseases. However, in most cases, syncytia play a crucial role in the proper functioning of the heart.