Subtracting Exponents with Same Base but Different Exponent

In summary: That would be a great relief to me, as I am about to take the GRE and it would mean the books are wrong and I am right.)In summary, the problem is to simplify 3^(n+2) / [3^(n+3) - 3^(n+1)], and the answer key says the correct answer is 1/3. However, when solving for it, the output is 3/8. It is possible that the answer key may have missed the "-3^(n+1)" in the denominator, which would result in the correct answer being 3/8 instead of 1/3.
baba
How do you do this problem (without a calculator) that looks deceivingly simple, yet is utterly confusing. (2 ^ 30 - 2 ^ 29)/2 = ?. The answer is
2 ^ 28, but how was this done without using a calculator. The furthest I can take this without using a calculator is 2 ^ 29 - 2 ^ 28

Mathematics news on Phys.org
2 ^ 29 - 2 ^ 28 = 2^28(2-1) = 2^28(1) = 2^28

230- 229= 2(229)- 229=
(2-1)229= 229 so (230-229)/2= 229/2= 228.

I am trying to work this actual problem that is in my GRE practice book. Looking at the way it is worked i still need help. Please let me know if you could help in any way.

Complete solutions have been posted above. What specific help are you looking for? If you explain which concept you're having difficulty with, someone might be able to help you better.

Edit : If your problem is entirely unrelated to the prior content of this thread, state the COMPLETE question in a new thread.

Last edited:
Well i understand how the orginal problem 2^30-2^29/2 becomes 2^29 -2^28 because you subract 2^1 from each exponent. Why isn't the 2 at the bottom canceled out? And where is the (2-1) coming from? The rule in the GRE manual for example 5^7/5^4 becomes 5^3 thus cancelling the denominator of 5. Please help me clear up any confusions.

Let's try being more explicit then:
(230-229)/2

Step one: cancel the two in the denominator. TO do this, you divide each term by 2, meaning (for this specific scenario), you subtract one from each exponent

229-228

Step two: Factor 228 from all the terms.

228(21-20)

Step three: Remembering some basic exponent rules, we clean up the equation a bit (specifically a number to the power of 1 or 0)

228(2-1)

Step four: Finish solving by calculating 2-1

228(1) = 228

i have the same problem with the problem above. this is the problem:

3^(n+2) / [3^(n+3) - 3^(n+1)]

the answer key says that the answer is 1/3 but when I solved for it, the answer is 3/8.. what is really the correct answer and how will it be solved?

If you only have powers of 3, you cannot possibly have a factor of [itex]8= 2^3[/itex]!

The correct answer is 1/3 as you were told- write [itex]3^{n+2}[/itex] as [itex]3(3^{n+1})[/itex] and cancel.

HallsofIvy said:
If you only have powers of 3, you cannot possibly have a factor of [itex]8= 2^3[/itex]!

Unless you happen to have [itex]8 = 3^2-3^0[/itex].

The correct answer is 1/3 as you were told- write [itex]3^{n+2}[/itex] as [itex]3(3^{n+1})[/itex] and cancel.

I get 3/8:

[tex]\frac{3^{n+2}}{3^{n+3}-3^{n+1}} = \frac{3 3^{n+1}}{3^2 3^{n+1}-3^{n+1}} = \frac{3}{3^2-3^0} = \frac{3}{9-1} = \frac{3}{8}[/tex]

Perhaps HallsofIvy and the person who wrote the book's answer key missed the "-3^(n+1)" in the denominator?

1. How do you subtract exponents with the same base but different exponents?

To subtract exponents with the same base but different exponents, you simply subtract the exponents from each other while keeping the base the same. For example, 25 - 23 = 22.

2. Can you subtract exponents with different bases?

No, you cannot subtract exponents with different bases. In order to subtract exponents, the bases must be the same.

3. Is the answer to subtracting exponents always an exponent?

Yes, the answer to subtracting exponents will always be in the form of an exponent.

4. Are there any special rules for subtracting exponents with negative exponents?

Yes, when subtracting exponents with negative exponents, you must first rewrite the expression to make all the exponents positive. Then, you can proceed with subtracting the exponents as usual.

5. Can you simplify an expression with subtracted exponents?

Yes, you can simplify an expression with subtracted exponents by combining like terms. For example, 34 - 32 = 81 - 9 = 72.