Understanding the Taylor Series in Euler's Method

In summary: y(x+h) = \displaystyle \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{h^n}{n!}\cdot \left. \frac{d^n }{dh^n}y(x+h)\right|_{h=0} = y(x) + h \cdot \left. \frac{d }{dh}y(x+h)\right|_{h=0} + \frac{h^2}{2}\cdot \left. \frac{d^2 }{dh^2}y(x+h)\right|_{h=0} + \cdotsy(x+h) =
thegreenlaser
I'm trying to learn about finite difference methods to solve differential equations. I'm using Advanced Engineering Mathematics 9th Ed., and in explaining Euler's method he claims the following Taylor series:

[tex]y(x+h) = y(x) + hy'(x) + \dfrac{h^2}{2}y''(x) + \cdots[/tex]

He then truncates that series, and because the equation to be solved is [tex]\dfrac{dy}{dx}=f(x,y)[/tex] he substitutes in f(x,y) for y'(x) in the Taylor series and goes on from there.

My question is, isn't the y'(x) in the Taylor series actually [tex]\dfrac{dy}{dh}[/tex] and not [tex]\dfrac{dy}{dx}[/tex] as the substitution would imply? It seems to me that the variable in that Taylor series is h, with centre 0. I understand Euler's method geometrically, but if someone could explain this Taylor series issue, that would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is your problem with the taylor series itself or what you're plugging into y'(x) for the differential equation?

h is the step value here. You pick h, depending on how small of a step you want to make. So in this case, you can treat h as a constant, but x is the variable. Since y is a function of the variable x, y'(x) is the derivative of y with respect to x (y'(x) is also another way of writing dy/dx).

gb7nash said:
Is your problem with the taylor series itself or what you're plugging into y'(x) for the differential equation?

h is the step value here. You pick h, depending on how small of a step you want to make. So in this case, you can treat h as a constant, but x is the variable. Since y is a function of the variable x, y'(x) is the derivative of y with respect to x (y'(x) is also another way of writing dy/dx).

I guess my confusion is with the Taylor series itself. I get that h is a constant, but it seems to me that in the taylor series it's being treated as the variable.

Edit: I should note that I've done very little calculus with multivariable functions, so that could be where my confusion lies.

Okay, I think I may have got it, but I'm not sure.

So the maclaurin series of y(x+h) would be defined as:
[tex]y(x+h) = \displaystyle \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{h^n}{n!}\cdot \left. \frac{d^n }{dh^n}y(x+h)\right|_{h=0} = y(x) + h \cdot \left. \frac{d }{dh}y(x+h)\right|_{h=0} + \frac{h^2}{2}\cdot \left. \frac{d^2 }{dh^2}y(x+h)\right|_{h=0} + \cdots[/tex]

However,
[tex]\displaystyle \frac{d}{dh}f(x+h) = \lim_{k \to 0} \frac{f(x+h+k)-f(x+h)}{k} = \frac{d}{dx}f(x+h)[/tex]

So the taylor series can be written as:
[tex]\therefore y(x+h) = \displaystyle \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{h^n}{n!}\cdot \left. \frac{d^n }{dx^n}y(x+h)\right|_{h=0} = y(x) + h \cdot \left. \frac{d }{dx}y(x+h)\right|_{h=0} + \frac{h^2}{2}\cdot \left. \frac{d^2 }{dx^2}y(x+h)\right|_{h=0} + \cdots[/tex]
[tex]y(x+h) = \displaystyle y(x) + h \cdot \frac{d }{dx}y(x) + \frac{h^2}{2}\cdot\frac{d^2 }{dx^2}y(x) + \cdots[/tex]

So, essentially, because it's a function of (x+h), the x derivative is the same as the h derivative. Is this correct, or is there another reason for the taylor series having the x derivative instead of the h derivative?

1. What is a Taylor Series?

A Taylor Series is a mathematical representation of a function as an infinite sum of terms, each of which is a polynomial multiple of the function's derivative at a certain point. It is used to approximate a function near a specific point, and can be used to calculate derivatives and integrals of the function.

2. How is Euler's Method used?

Euler's Method is a numerical method used to approximate the solution of a differential equation. It involves dividing the interval of interest into smaller subintervals, and using a simple formula to iteratively calculate the value of the function at each point. This method is particularly useful when an exact solution cannot be found analytically.

3. What is the difference between Taylor Series and Euler's Method?

The main difference between Taylor Series and Euler's Method is that Taylor Series is used to approximate a function near a specific point, while Euler's Method is used to approximate the solution of a differential equation over a given interval. Additionally, Taylor Series relies on derivatives of the function, while Euler's Method only requires the function itself.

4. What are the limitations of using Taylor Series and Euler's Method?

The accuracy of Taylor Series and Euler's Method depends on the smoothness and differentiability of the function being approximated. If the function is not differentiable or has discontinuities, these methods may not provide accurate results. Additionally, as the number of terms or subintervals used increases, so does the complexity and computation time.

5. How are Taylor Series and Euler's Method applied in real-world situations?

Taylor Series and Euler's Method are commonly used in physics, engineering, and other fields to approximate functions and solve differential equations. They are particularly useful in situations where exact solutions are difficult or impossible to obtain, such as in numerical simulations and modeling of physical systems.