Not so basic algebraic fraction manipulation

In summary: You meant \frac{ab}{2c} igham(else may confuse). :smile:You meant \frac{ab}{2c} igham(else may confuse). :smile:
namtip

Homework Statement

I am told this is wrong, but I am convinced it is right. I just need to show how but don't have a clue.

Homework Equations

(ab)/(2c(d+e))+(ab)/(2c(d-e))=(abd)/(c(d^2-e^2))

The Attempt at a Solution

I do not have a clue where to start. I am clueless as to where the d in the numerator comes from...

Any help at all, even a nudge would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
namtip said:

Homework Statement

I am told this is wrong, but I am convinced it is right. I just need to show how but don't have a clue.

Homework Equations

I do not have a clue where to start. I am clueless as to where the d in the numerator comes from...

Thanks

Didn't take me long but I don't make a virtue of that - practice does help.

You have no idea where to start?!

Come on - I don't believe you have never done anything like it. :smile:

Start making it easier by taking out a factor common that multiplies both parts of the expression.

namtip said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Thanks
I'm just converting those expressions to LaTeX so they're easier to read.

[itex]\displaystyle \frac{ab}{2c(d+e)}+\frac{ab}{2c(d-e)}\text{ is possibly equal to }\frac{abd}{c(d^2-e^2)}[/itex]

What makes you think they're equal. If you're sure that they are equal, can you show the steps you take to get from the left hand expression to the right hand expression.

Also, who told you that you're wrong?

Seriously, my algebra is terrible. So I take out a factor that is common to both sides? I take it you mean both sides of the equals sign. That would be the 'ab' then. But when you say 'take out' I'm not sure what you mean. Like this?

ab*1/(2c(d+e))+ab*1/(2c(d-e))=ab*d/(c(d^2-e^2))

Hi SammyS

I wrote that first sentence wrong, I meant 'I am told this is right, but I think its wrong'. See? If I can't put a sentence together what hope do I have in algebra?! This is an example I got given and need to show the processes. I've solved all the others given to me except this one. It was thrown in as an 'extra hard challenge'.

namtip said:
Hi SammyS

I wrote that first sentence wrong, I meant 'I am told this is right, but I think its wrong'. See? If I can't put a sentence together what hope do I have in algebra?! This is an example I got given and need to show the processes. I've solved all the others given to me except this one. It was thrown in as an 'extra hard challenge'.
Well ... It is absolutely correct.

Find a common denominator (the 'smallest' common denominator is best.) and use it to add the fractions.

namtip said:
Seriously, my algebra is terrible. So I take out a factor that is common to both sides? I take it you mean both sides of the equals sign. That would be the 'ab' then. But when you say 'take out' I'm not sure what you mean. Like this?

ab*1/(2c(d+e))+ab*1/(2c(d-e))=ab*d/(c(d^2-e^2))

No; taking out a common factor means recognizing that
[tex] \frac{ab}{2c(d+e)} + \frac{ab}{2c(d-e)}[/tex]
can be written as
[tex] \frac{ab}{2c} \left[ \frac{1}{d+e} + \frac{1}{d-e} \right], [/tex]
so it is enough to simplify the part in square brackets; that is, it is enough to figure out what
[tex] \frac{1}{d+e} + \frac{1}{d-e} [/tex]
simplifies to. After that you can put back the factor [itex] ab/(2c).[/itex]

Note: typo fixed.

RGV

Last edited:
You meant
[tex] \frac{ab}{2c} [/tex]

(else may confuse). :smile:

epenguin said:
You meant
[tex] \frac{ab}{2c} [/tex]

(else may confuse). :smile:

Right: it is fixed.

RGV

What is algebraic fraction manipulation?

Algebraic fraction manipulation is the process of simplifying and solving equations involving fractions with variables.

What are the basic rules for manipulating algebraic fractions?

The basic rules for manipulating algebraic fractions include finding the common denominator, multiplying both the numerator and denominator by the same number, and simplifying the resulting fraction.

Why is it important to simplify algebraic fractions?

Simplifying algebraic fractions makes equations easier to solve and helps to identify any errors in the original equation.

What are some common mistakes people make when manipulating algebraic fractions?

Some common mistakes people make include forgetting to find the common denominator, making incorrect calculations when multiplying or dividing fractions, and forgetting to simplify the resulting fraction.

How can I improve my skills in manipulating algebraic fractions?

Practice and repetition are key to improving your skills in manipulating algebraic fractions. It is also helpful to review the basic rules and common mistakes to avoid. Seeking help from a tutor or teacher can also be beneficial.