Equivalent Resistance: To Include or Not to Include r5 and r6?

In summary, the question is whether to include resistances R5 and R6 in calculating the equivalent resistance between points A and B. Based on the fact that these resistors are in open circuits and no current can flow through them, they can be excluded from the calculation. The equivalent resistance is 1.6 ohms.
sniderman

Homework Statement

Trying to find equivalent resistance between points a and b.Dont know whether to include resistances r5 and r6.

Thanks

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Im not sure what to do with the resistances r5 and r6in the open circuits are they apart of the calculations? i think they are not because nothing should be flowing threw them.
without them i got 1.6 ohms for a equivalent resistance

Attachments

• Untitled.doc
    30 KB · Views: 198
Physics news on Phys.org
sniderman said:

Homework Statement

Trying to find equivalent resistance between points a and b.Dont know whether to include resistances r5 and r6.

Thanks

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Im not sure what to do with the resistances r5 and r6in the open circuits are they apart of the calculations? i think they are not because nothing should be flowing threw them.
without them i got 1.6 ohms for a equivalent resistance

Welcome to the PF.

Imagine connecting a resistance meter (DVM) between points a and b. That will put a voltage across those 2 points, which will cause currents to flow in some of the resistors. If points c and d are floating during this measurement, will there be any currents through R5 and R6?

i want to say that there is no current through those wires, because their not connected to anything making them open circuits?

If no current flows through a component then it will not contribute to the resistance.

ok, but is there current flowing in r5 and r6

sniderman said:
ok, but is there current flowing in r5 and r6

Where would it flow to? You need a CIRCUIT (closed path) for current to flow.

1. What is equivalent resistance?

Equivalent resistance refers to the overall resistance of a circuit when multiple resistors are connected in some combination.

2. How do you calculate equivalent resistance for resistors in series?

In a series circuit, the equivalent resistance is equal to the sum of all the individual resistances. For example, if there are three resistors with values of 2 ohms, 4 ohms, and 6 ohms connected in series, the equivalent resistance would be 12 ohms (2+4+6=12).

3. What is the formula for calculating equivalent resistance for resistors in parallel?

The formula for calculating equivalent resistance for resistors in parallel is 1/Req = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + ... + 1/Rn, where Req is the equivalent resistance and R1, R2, etc. are the individual resistances.

4. Can you have an equivalent resistance that is lower than the lowest individual resistance in a circuit?

No, the equivalent resistance will always be greater than or equal to the lowest individual resistance in a circuit.

5. How does the addition of resistors in a circuit affect the overall equivalent resistance?

When resistors are added in series, the equivalent resistance increases. When resistors are added in parallel, the equivalent resistance decreases.