Fusion? (latent heat of fusion)

In summary, fusion is a process in which nuclei join together by melting, resulting in a release of fusion energy. This is different from nuclear fusion, which is a completely separate process. When an object changes from liquid to solid state, it goes through a fusion process and releases fusion energy. This process is also known as the latent heat of fusion and is not related to nuclear fusion.
DhruvKumar
Fusion?? (latent heat of fusion)

What is fusion?
What I know that is fusion is the process of joining of nuclei by melting.Thus , fusion is a melting process.
Can i get some more information in easy language.
I have read some-were "fusion is a freezing process" is this statement is true by any point of view.

Science news on Phys.org

I started to write an an answer until I realize that I don't know what kind of "fusion" you mean here! Yes, "chemical fusion", fusing two metals such as silver and gold, is just a matter of heating the metals enough that the chemical bonds, due to the outer electron shells, holding the metal crystals together break and the atoms from the two different metals can mix- although there will not be a true chemical bond between the atoms of the different metals.

Nuclear fusion is a completely different thing!

HallsofIvy said:
I started to write an an answer until I realize that I don't know what kind of "fusion" you mean here! Yes, "chemical fusion", fusing two metals such as silver and gold, is just a matter of heating the metals enough that the chemical bonds, due to the outer electron shells, holding the metal crystals together break and the atoms from the two different metals can mix- although there will not be a true chemical bond between the atoms of the different metals.

Nuclear fusion is a completely different thing!

This fusion of which i am talking about is of Heat chapter.

DhruvKumar said:
What is fusion?
What I know that is fusion is the process of joining of nuclei by melting.Thus , fusion is a melting process.
Can i get some more information in easy language.
I have read some-were "fusion is a freezing process" is this statement is true by any point of view.

DhruvKumar said:
This fusion of which i am talking about is of Heat chapter.

Can you post some links to what you are asking about? It is still not clear. Is there a Wikipedia.org page that discusses it?

Or maybe a page at Hyperphysics? http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hphys.html

Last edited:

He's talking about latent heat of fusion. It has nothing to do with nuclear fusion.

When an object goes from liquid to solid state, it "fuses", and releases the fusion energy. In order to melt an object, you have to supply fusion energy. In this process, neither nuclei nor atoms really fuse. The only thing that changes is the state of matter. You can think of it as change of arrangement of atoms or molecules between somewhat sparse and random (liquid) and tight and ordered (solid). There are other, more complex transitions that are possible, but these are the basics.

Thanks K^2. I added your clarification to the thread title.

1. What is fusion?

Fusion is a process in which two or more atomic nuclei come together to form a heavier nucleus. This process releases a large amount of energy, which is the same energy that powers the sun and other stars.

2. How does fusion produce energy?

Fusion produces energy by converting a small amount of mass into a large amount of energy. This is based on Einstein's famous equation, E=mc², where E is energy, m is mass, and c is the speed of light. During fusion, some of the mass of the nuclei is converted into energy, which is released in the form of light and heat.

3. What is the difference between fusion and fission?

Fusion and fission are both nuclear processes that involve the release of energy. However, fusion is the process of combining two or more nuclei to form a heavier nucleus, while fission is the process of splitting a heavy nucleus into two or more lighter nuclei. In terms of energy production, fusion releases much more energy than fission.

4. What is the role of latent heat of fusion in fusion reactions?

The latent heat of fusion is the amount of energy required to change a substance from a solid to a liquid state, or vice versa, without changing its temperature. In fusion reactions, the latent heat of fusion is important because it is the energy required to overcome the repulsive forces between the positively charged nuclei and fuse them together.

5. What are the potential applications of fusion energy?

Fusion energy has the potential to provide a nearly limitless source of clean and sustainable energy. It could be used to power homes, businesses, and even entire cities without producing harmful greenhouse gases or radioactive waste. However, fusion technology is still in its early stages and there are many challenges to overcome before it can be used on a large scale.