Help in calculating the square of a number in sexagesimal notation?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the square of a number in sexagesimal notation (base 60). It is suggested to define symbols for the 60 integers and work out multiplication and addition tables in terms of those integers. It is also recommended to start with simpler numbers, such as in octal notation, before moving on to more complex calculations.
moohah
How would you go about calculating a number's square entirely in sexagesimal notation (i.e. base 60). For example, how would you calculate the square of 37 + 4/60 + 55/60^2? If you can please show me how to calculate a number's square entirely in sexagesimal notation without using decimals it would be appreciated! Thanks in advance for answers...

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Some questions to think about that might lead to an answer to your question ...

How do you go about calculating a number's square in decimal notation?

Why/how does that work?

Why does that not work for a different base? Could you change something to make the process work in a different base?

(a +b x+c x^2)^2=a^2+2abx+2acx^2+b^2x^2+2bcx^3+c^2x^4
let
a=37
b=4
c=55
x=1/60
then carry

First step would be to define symbols for your 60 integers, then work out multiplication and addition tables in terms of those integers, now multiply.

The trouble with lurflurf's solution is that it is doing the arithmetic in decimal, and the result will be in decimal.

As long as lurflurf does his arithmetic in base-60 arithmetic, I believe his method would correctly compute the base-60 square of that number in base-60 notation.

Personally I think the OP should first do some simple ones. How about octal? Won't that work with the number he gave or even a simpler number? Try squaring some simple numbers in just plain-old octal first, then ramp it up.

Last edited:
^No that is sexagesimal. We could use a=10 z=35 A=36 X=59 to conform with convention

B.4T=B*1+4*0.1+T*0.01

for one example
a.bc
is perfectly adequate

. . . I don't know what none of you guys are doing in this thread to be honest with you. It's ambiguous, unclear, and confusing to someone at the top in class.

Hey lurflurf has it right... thank you guys for your help

1. How do I convert a number in sexagesimal notation to decimal?

To convert a number in sexagesimal notation to decimal, you can use the formula:
Decimal = Degrees + (Minutes/60) + (Seconds/3600)

2. What is the purpose of using sexagesimal notation?

Sexagesimal notation is used to represent degrees, minutes, and seconds in a more precise and convenient way, especially when dealing with angles or coordinates on a sphere.

3. How do I calculate the square of a number in sexagesimal notation?

To calculate the square of a number in sexagesimal notation, you can first convert it to decimal, then square the decimal value, and finally convert the result back to sexagesimal notation.

4. Can I use a calculator to convert and calculate in sexagesimal notation?

Yes, many scientific calculators have the option to work with sexagesimal notation. However, it is important to make sure that the calculator is set to the correct mode before performing any conversions or calculations.

5. Are there any online tools or resources available for converting and calculating in sexagesimal notation?

Yes, there are several online calculators and converters specifically designed for working with sexagesimal notation. You can easily find them by searching for "sexagesimal calculator" or "sexagesimal converter" on a search engine.