Exploring Heat & Motion in Deep Space

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between heat and the motion of molecules, as well as the effects of deep space on the temperature and motion of gas molecules. The concept of uniform and non-uniform motion is also explored, as well as the definition of contact and the role of empty space in affecting the motion of objects. The conversation also touches on the idea of a single molecule as a "large" object and the role of space in maintaining uniform motion. Overall, the conversation delves into the complex dynamics between temperature, motion, and the environment.
Naveen3456
A mass of gas has its molecules moving. (Say in a jar)

Another mass of gas has its molecules moving faster. This gas is hotter than the first one.

So, heat is motion of molecules.

Now, I take this mass of gas into deep space devoid of any gravitation.

My questions are,

1. Will this gas cool down. If yes, why?

Let me give my detailed insight/conjecture.

A body moving in uniform motion does not get affected by the extremely low temperature of deep space and continues its 'motion' unabated.

Each molecule is in motion, even if not uniform motion.
So, if the gas cools down, why does deep space affect the motion of molecules?

2. Does deep space know the difference between uniform and non-uniform motion?

Science news on Phys.org
Naveen3456 said:
Another mass of gas has its molecules moving faster. This gas is hotter than the first one.
Not necessarily. If it has a different gas (with lighter particles), the temperature could be equal or lower.

So, heat is motion of molecules.
Heat is related to the motion of molecules.

1. Will this gas cool down. If yes, why?
Does it have contact to the environment? Can it radiate, does it receive radiation?

A body moving in uniform motion does not get affected by the extremely low temperature of deep space and continues its 'motion' unabated.
The uniform motion of a large object as a whole has nothing to do with its temperature.

So, if the gas cools down, why does deep space affect the motion of molecules?
The gas can emit electromagnetic radiation (blackbody radiation) and cool down.

2. Does deep space know the difference between uniform and non-uniform motion?
Space does not "know" anything.

mfb said:
Not necessarily. If it has a different gas (with lighter particles), the temperature could be equal or lower.

Thanks for the insight.

mfb said:
Heat is related to the motion of molecules.

Plz explain how is heat 'not' motion of molecules but 'related to' motion of molecules.

mfb said:
Does it have contact to the environment? Can it radiate, does it receive radiation?

How to define contact?

The molecules of the gas are colliding with the molecules of the jar. The molecules of gas have forces of attraction and repulsion operating between them. The molecules of the jar are also oscillating and vibrating. In fact molecules of jar are in immediate contact with the space.

Would molecules of jar also slow down?

Would the space that is inside the atoms/nuclei of the jar also cool down and in any way affect the motion of atoms/molecules/nucleons of the jar/gas?

mfb said:
The uniform motion of a large object as a whole has nothing to do with its temperature.

When does an object turn large? when we consider 2 atoms/molecules or more than 2?

Suppose the large object enters the area of space having absolute zero temperature. Will its motion still remain unaffected by the temperature around it?

Suppose a single CO2 molecule is moving in deep space away from any soured of gravity or radiation. What would be the scenario? Would the motion of oxygen atoms around the carbon atom slow down?

Can't a single molecule of CO2 be taken as a large object when there is no object nearby with which to compare this CO2 molecule.

mfb said:

Then how does space/nature see to it that the moment force is removed 'only' uniform motion results without fail.

Do take pains to answer my questions. This is really a laborious job. Thanks in advance.

Naveen3456 said:
Plz explain how is heat 'not' motion of molecules but 'related to' motion of molecules.
An apple is not a tree, but it is related to a tree.
More about heat

How to define contact?
Some way to exchange thermal energy.

The molecules of the gas are colliding with the molecules of the jar. The molecules of gas have forces of attraction and repulsion operating between them. The molecules of the jar are also oscillating and vibrating. In fact molecules of jar are in immediate contact with the space.

Would molecules of jar also slow down?
If "gas+jar" cool down, sure.

Would the space that is inside the atoms/nuclei of the jar also cool down and in any way affect the motion of atoms/molecules/nucleons of the jar/gas?
Empty space does not have a temperature.

When does an object turn large? when we consider 2 atoms/molecules or more than 2?
When you consider all molecules in an object, independent of the size of the object itself. Apart from that, all objects with ordered motion are "large" in that respect.

Suppose the large object enters the area of space having absolute zero temperature. Will its motion still remain unaffected by the temperature around it?
Space does not have a temperature. The motion of the particle is always unaffected by empty space.

Suppose a single CO2 molecule is moving in deep space away from any soured of gravity or radiation. What would be the scenario? Would the motion of oxygen atoms around the carbon atom slow down?
No. Why do you think it could?
Note that a single CO2 molecule does not even have a temperature.

Then how does space/nature see to it that the moment force is removed 'only' uniform motion results without fail.
I don't understand that question.

Do take pains to answer my questions. This is really a laborious job. Thanks in advance.
I get the impression that you should start with the basics (with a textbook, not here), as I guess you have some fundamental misunderstandings, and it is impossible to resolve them if you just keep asking random questions.

mfb said:
An apple is not a tree, but it is related to a tree.
More about heat

Some way to exchange thermal energy.

If "gas+jar" cool down, sure.

Empty space does not have a temperature.

When you consider all molecules in an object, independent of the size of the object itself. Apart from that, all objects with ordered motion are "large" in that respect.

Space does not have a temperature. The motion of the particle is always unaffected by empty space.

No. Why do you think it could?
Note that a single CO2 molecule does not even have a temperature.

I don't understand that question.

I get the impression that you should start with the basics (with a textbook, not here), as I guess you have some fundamental misunderstandings, and it is impossible to resolve them if you just keep asking random questions.

Thanks for your responses.

But I am afraid to say that you haven't explained anything nor tried to do so.

It seems to me that either you are irritated by such questions or you consider it below your standard to deal in such questions.

BTW, I have studied all these concepts till 12th class from textbooks.

I am under the impression that people on this forum can explain basics more lucidly that a textbook.

Thanks again.

There is nothing wrong about mfb answers and I agree with his opinion that you probably have some fundamental misunderstandings about what the heat is. But it is difficult if not impossible to pinpoint where the problem lies just by reading your questions.

Naveen3456 said:
A mass of gas has its molecules moving.

Not necessarily, and I think you may be confusing "heat" and "temperature". "Hotter" does not mean "has more heat", it means "has a higher temperature".

One way to see that heat and temperature are not the same is to consider that if you add the same amount of heat to the same amount of different substances, you may not get the same temperature change (google for "specific heat" to see what I mean).

Last edited:

1. What is heat and motion in deep space?

Heat and motion in deep space refer to the transfer of thermal energy and the movement of objects in the vacuum of outer space. In deep space, there is no air or other medium to transfer heat, so it is primarily transferred through radiation. The lack of gravity also affects the motion of objects, causing them to move in a straight line or orbit around larger bodies.

2. How is heat and motion studied in deep space?

Scientists use a variety of instruments and techniques to study heat and motion in deep space. These include telescopes, spectrometers, and thermal sensors, which can measure the temperature and movement of objects in space. They also use mathematical models and simulations to understand and predict heat and motion in deep space.

3. What are some challenges of exploring heat and motion in deep space?

One of the main challenges of studying heat and motion in deep space is the extreme conditions that exist in this environment. The lack of air and extreme temperatures can affect the accuracy of measurements and the performance of instruments. Additionally, the vast distances and limited access to certain areas of space can make it difficult to collect data and conduct experiments.

4. Why is understanding heat and motion in deep space important?

Studying heat and motion in deep space is crucial for our understanding of the universe and the laws of physics. It can also help us understand the formation and evolution of celestial bodies and the processes that occur within them. Additionally, understanding heat and motion can aid in the development of technologies for space exploration and improve our ability to predict and mitigate potential hazards in space.

5. How does heat and motion in deep space impact human space travel?

Heat and motion in deep space have a significant impact on human space travel. The extreme temperatures and radiation can affect the health and safety of astronauts, and the lack of gravity can cause changes in the body's physiology. It is essential to understand and manage these factors to ensure the success and safety of future space missions.