Differential equation tank problem

In summary, we are given a conical tank with a radius of 1m and a height of 4m, standing on its point with the top open. The water initially has a height of 0m and after 2 hours, it has a height of 3m. We are also told that the water evaporates according to the model dV/dt=kA, where k is a constant and A is the exposed surface area. By finding the relation between volume and base area, we can differentiate and solve for the height as a function of time, and then use that to find the volume as a function of time.
mabr0406
I need to find the volume of water in a conical tank as a function of time. I am given that the cone is standing on its point.
The radius at the top of the cone is 1m and the height of the cone is 4m.
The height of the water initially is h(0)=0 and h(2)=3.
I am also told that the top of the cone is open and we are to assume that the water evaporates according to the following model:dV/dt=kA where k is a constant of proportionality and A is the exposed surface area.

I think I am stuck becuase I am used to working with things likeV'=kV and in the above model we have V's and A's. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Jacob

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Given a cone, can you find a relation between its volume and the area of its base?

I did that... V=1/48pi(h^3) and A=1/16pi(h^2). But I don't know how to put these in terms of t...

I was looking for the more general relation, [tex]V = \frac{1}{3}\pi r^2h[/tex]. Can you "find" the area in that?

The height of the water initially is h(0)=0 and h(2)=3.
I'm not sure I understand that. How can the height of the water increase if we are supposed to assume that water is evaporating??

Neutrino, the conical tank has radius 1/4 the height. The cone of water at each level will also have radius 1/4 the height. In that case, [itex]V= \frac{1}{3}\pi r^2h[/itex] becomes [itex]V=\frac{1}{3}\frac{1}{16}\pi h^2 h= \frac{1}{48}\pi h^3[/itex].
Differentiating that with respect to t gives
[tex]\frac{dV}{dt}= \frac{1}{16}\pi h^2 \frac{dh}{dt}[/tex]
Of course the base area is [itex]A= \pi r^2= \frac{1}{16}\pi h^2[/itex].

Your [itex]\frac{dV}{dt}= kA[/itex] becomes
[tex]\frac{1}{16}\pi h^2 \frac{dh}{dt}= \pi r^2= k\frac{1}{16}\pi h^2[/tex]
which reduce to just [itex]\frac{dh}{dt}= k[/itex]!
Solve that for h as a function of t and plug into [itex]V= \frac{1}{48}\pi h^3[/itex] to get V as a function of t.

(Like neutrino, I have no idea what you mean by "h(0)= 0 and h(2)= 3".)

h(0)=4... sorry, those were the initial conditions for the height of the water in the tank

Last edited:

1. What is a differential equation tank problem?

A differential equation tank problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves modeling the behavior of fluids in a tank. It uses differential equations to describe the rate of change of the fluid level in the tank over time.

2. What are the applications of differential equation tank problems?

Differential equation tank problems have many practical applications, such as predicting the water level in a reservoir, designing water tanks, and analyzing the flow of liquids in pipes and channels.

3. How do you solve a differential equation tank problem?

To solve a differential equation tank problem, you need to first write down the differential equation that describes the rate of change of the fluid level in the tank. Then, you can use various mathematical techniques, such as separation of variables or substitution, to find the solution.

4. What are the key factors that affect the solution of a differential equation tank problem?

The key factors that affect the solution of a differential equation tank problem include the initial conditions (i.e. the starting fluid level and rate of change), the shape and size of the tank, and any external factors like inflow and outflow rates.

5. What are the limitations of using differential equation tank problems?

While differential equation tank problems can provide valuable insights into fluid behavior, they have some limitations. These include assuming ideal conditions and neglecting factors such as turbulence and viscosity, which may not accurately reflect real-world scenarios.