Trajectory Motion Using Calculus

In summary, the two forms of finding the x and y components of a trajectory in a parabolic path are the integral approach and the derivative approach. The integral approach involves using the formula [Delta]Y=Vyit+1/2at^2 and [Delta]X=Vxit+(1/2at^2) while the derivative approach uses the basic parabolic formula ax^2+bx+c=0 and takes the form s=at^2+vt+c=0 with x and y components of s=vt and s=at^2+vt, respectively. The difference between the two approaches lies in the coefficient of t^2, with the integral approach using 1/2at^2 and the derivative
cybershark5886
At this point in my project I'm merely trying to work out the correct formula to put together to find the x and y components of a trajectory traveling in a parabollic path.

My teacher showed me two different forms and said for me to try to figure out which one was best for my specific application, before I apply it. One form took an integral approach and had the components as such:
[Delta]Y = Vyit + 1/2at^2
[Delta]X = Vxit + (1/2at^2) [since no acceleration in x direction only Vxit is relevant]

The other took a derivative approach using the basic parabolic formula ax^2+bx+c=0 and takes this form:

s = at^2 + vt + c = 0

With the x and y components being:

x) s = vt
y) s = at^2 + vt

As you can see the last form is much simpler and straight forward. The thing is though I need to measure initial velocity. Also my teacher didn't know which form was more suitable for my application. I tried getting her to explain the difference between the first approach using 1/2at^2 and the second approach (on the y component) using only at^2. What happened to the 1/2 in front? She said something about the first being a result of the integral approach of integrating at which would then produce 1/2at^2. That makes sense but why does the formula s = at^2 + vt not havethe 1/2 in front?

One last question concerning this she wrote down two distance formulas on my paper while we were discussing this but she was going too fast that I didn't quite catch the difference.

She wrote d = 1/2at^2 on the left and then right beside it d=16t^2. I think she said the 16t^2 part had something to do with taking gravity into account. Can anyone clear this up for me a bit? I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

~Josh

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Oops. I apologize, I just realized this probably is in the wrong forum section. I didn't see the sticky note at first. Sorry never posted here before. Could a moderator move this to the proper forum?

cybershark5886 said:
The other took a derivative approach using the basic parabolic formula ax^2+bx+c=0 and takes this form:

s = at^2 + vt + c = 0

With the x and y components being:

x) s = vt
y) s = at^2 + vt

s = at^2 + vt + c is physically incorrect.

To see what the coefficient of t^2 represents, take two derivatives of the displacement s, written as s=At^2+Bt+C, with respect to t.

To see what the coefficient of t^2 represents, take two derivatives of the displacement s, written as s=At^2+Bt+C, with respect to t.

Ok, the first derivative would be 2At + B and the second derivative would be 2A. I'm not quite sure of the consequences of that, but would you mind helping me fix the formula if it is wrong?

So, the "second derivative of displacement s" (the "acceleration a") is equal to 2A. So, what is the coefficient A in s=At^2+Bt+C?

So, the "second derivative of displacement s" (the "acceleration a") is equal to 2A. So, what is the coefficient A in s=At^2+Bt+C?

It would be 1. But where are you going with this?

Let me just throw some dummy values out there.

Say my initial velocity is 15 meters/second and the duration of time in the air is 10 seconds.

Using the y position formula [Delta]Y = Vyit + 1/2at^2

Then it should yield: [Delta]Y = 15*30 + 1/2(-9.81)(10)^2
Which reduces to: 450 - 490.5= - 40.5 meters

Now how can I find its highest point in the trajectory though? Is that formula telling me that the projectile lands 40.5 meters below the firing height or that it went up to a peak of 40.5 meters and came back down?

Last edited:
cybershark5886 said:

It would be 1. But where are you going with this?

No it would not be.
(The coefficient A (the "coefficient of t^2") is that thing that multiplies t^2 in that term.)

Since a=2A, then the coefficient A=(1/2)a... which explains that factor of (1/2) that you asked about in the beginning.

1. What is trajectory motion?

Trajectory motion refers to the path followed by an object as it moves through space or air, under the influence of external forces such as gravity or air resistance.

2. How is calculus used in trajectory motion?

Calculus is used to model and analyze the motion of objects in trajectory motion. It allows us to calculate important parameters such as velocity, acceleration, and position at any given point in time.

3. What is the difference between position, velocity, and acceleration in trajectory motion?

Position refers to the location of an object in space at a given time. Velocity is the rate of change of position over time, while acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time.

4. What are the key equations used in trajectory motion using calculus?

The key equations used in trajectory motion are the equations of motion, which include the kinematic equations and the Newton's second law of motion. These equations involve derivatives and integrals, which are fundamental concepts in calculus.

5. How can calculus help us predict the future trajectory of an object?

By using calculus, we can calculate the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object at any given time. This information can then be used to predict the future trajectory of the object, taking into account external forces and any changes in motion.