Jerry Falwell found unconscious

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, the Rev. Jerry Falwell was found unconscious in his office and taken to the hospital; it is unclear if he will survive. Phelps has announced plans to protest Falwell's funeral, which seems like an odd decision given the circumstances.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
LYNCHBURG, Va. — The Rev. Jerry Falwell was found unconscious in his office Tuesday and taken to the hospital, a Liberty University executive told a newspaper. [continued]
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070515/NEWS07/70515037/0/BUSINESS01

CNN International is reporting that he is being given CPR right now, so it doesn't look good for Falwell.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
According to the link he is now dead.

Not quite the event as if Mr. Phelps had passed, but close enough.

Rest in peace Jerry.
I wish his family strength.

arildno said:
Not quite the event as if Mr. Phelps had passed, but close enough.

I don't know if it's just a rumor or the truth, but I heard Phelps was going to protest Falwell's funeral. It's a bizarre world we live in.

Awww, someone got rid fo my best wishes to Mr. Falwell. :devil: :devil: :devil:

While I have a small list of complaints that I could have lodged against Falwell (none against his religious beliefs, but many against his political views), it is unfortunate to see him go.

Moonbear said:
I don't know if it's just a rumor or the truth, but I heard Phelps was going to protest Falwell's funeral. It's a bizarre world we live in.

Not entirely (at least not for this reason). Fred Phelps isn't remotely similar to either evangelical Christians, or the fundamentalist Christians who form a subset of said group. For example, they protest soldiers' funerals, whereas most fundamentalists would be all for the Iraq war. They've even protested a Billy Graham event, despite that Graham is a favorite among Christians of all varieties. So if Phelps protested Jerry Falwell's funeral, that would at least be consistent.

Moonbear said:
The Westboro Baptist Church has publicly declared on their website to picket Falwell's funeral.

I pay my traditional respects and give my condolences to his family. One less blind intolerant fundamentalist trying to distort science. I am not particularly found of those people.

1. What happened to Jerry Falwell?

Jerry Falwell, a prominent American evangelical pastor and political commentator, was found unconscious in his office on May 15, 2007. He was taken to the hospital and later pronounced dead.

2. Was Jerry Falwell ill prior to being found unconscious?

There were no reports of Jerry Falwell being ill before he was found unconscious. He had a history of heart problems and had been hospitalized for pneumonia earlier that year, but his death was unexpected.

3. Did Jerry Falwell have any known health conditions?

Jerry Falwell had a history of heart problems and was diagnosed with pneumonia in February 2007. He also suffered from diabetes and had a history of asthma.

4. Was there any foul play involved in Jerry Falwell's death?

No foul play was suspected in Jerry Falwell's death. The official cause of death was listed as cardiac arrhythmia, or an irregular heartbeat.

5. What was Jerry Falwell's legacy in the evangelical community?

Jerry Falwell was a prominent figure in the evangelical community and a founding member of the Moral Majority, a political organization that advocated for conservative Christian values. He was also the founder of Liberty University, a Christian university in Virginia. His death was mourned by many in the evangelical community.