Calculating Distance and Time for an Object on a Frictionless Inclined Plane

Thanks for the clarification.In summary, the conversation discusses solving for the time and distance an object takes to stop and reverse direction when pushed up a smooth incline at an initial speed of 4m/s and an angle of 30 degrees. The correct method involves finding the actual acceleration by considering the component of gravity acting along the incline and using the equation Vf=Vo-at to solve for time and X=Xo+Vot+1/2at^2 to solve for distance. The mistake in the conversation was using the incorrect values for acceleration and initial velocity. In a projectile problem, the only force acting on the object is gravity, and the correct terminology is "initial velocity" rather than "average velocity."
physicsnewby

Homework Statement

1 An object is pushed up a smooth incline of 30 degrees with a speed of 4m/s. In seconds, how long will it take before the object stops and reverses direction?

Vf= Vo - at

Vf= Vo - at
0 = 4 - (9.8)t
t = 0.41s

I know this is wrong because the angle isn't accounted for, but I'm not sure where to use it. I'm not sure what the right answer is either.
2 An object is placed on an incline of 30 degrees . The object is pushed up the incline at the initial speed vo=4m/s. How far does it travel before stopping and reversing direction?

Vf= Vo - at

Vf= Vo - at
0 = 4 - (9.8)t
t = 0.41s

x= (Vxo)(t)
x= (4)(0.41)
x=1.6m

For some reason, this gives me the right answer, but I again don't use the 30 degrees anywhere. What should I be doing?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
physicsnewby said:
Vf= Vo - at

Vf= Vo - at
0 = 4 - (9.8)t
t = 0.41s
This is incorrect. First find the actual acceleration by considering the component of gravity acting along the incline. (This will involve a bit of trig.)

x= (Vxo)(t)
x= (4)(0.41)
x=1.6m
This is incorrect because the speed is not constant. You'd need the average speed to find the distance using this method.

For some reason, this gives me the right answer, but I again don't use the 30 degrees anywhere.
Amusingly, the two errors you made exactly cancel.

ok, then to get acceleration, would I use:

a = g sin theta
a = 9.8 sin 30
a = 4.9 m/s^2

then to solve for time:
Vf= Vo - at
0 = 4 - (4.9)t
t = 0.82 s

physicsnewby said:
ok, then to get acceleration, would I use:

a = g sin theta
a = 9.8 sin 30
a = 4.9 m/s^2

then to solve for time:
Vf= Vo - at
0 = 4 - (4.9)t
t = 0.82 s
So far, so good.

Question 1 is then answered.

Question 2, if I need avg. speed:

V avg = Vf + Vo / 2
V avg = 0 + 4 / 2
V avg = 2

X = Xo + Vot + 1/2at^2
X = 0 + (2)(0.82) +1/2(o)^2
X = 1.64m

physicsnewby said:
Question 2, if I need avg. speed:

V avg = Vf + Vo / 2
V avg = 0 + 4 / 2
V avg = 2
That's the correct average speed. To get the distance use [itex]V_{ave} = \Delta X / \Delta T[/itex].

X = Xo + Vot + 1/2at^2
X = 1.64m
Using this equation is a perfectly fine way to solve for distance, but you need to do it right. Two problems: (1) Vo is the initial velocity, not average velocity; (2) What happened to the last term? ([itex]1/2at^2[/itex]) It's not zero!

For Question 2 using the formula you gave, then

Vavg = delta X/ delta t
2 = delta X / 0.82
delta X = 1.64m

I got the same answer, but my original equation was all wrong.

with correct numbers
X = 0 + (4)(0.82) +1/2(4.9)^2
X = 3.28 + 12.01
X = 15.29m

Which one is right?

physicsnewby said:
For Question 2 using the formula you gave, then

Vavg = delta X/ delta t
2 = delta X / 0.82
delta X = 1.64m
Correct method = correct answer.

I got the same answer, but my original equation was all wrong.
Wrong values = wrong answer.

with correct numbers
X = 0 + (4)(0.82) +1/2(4.9)^2
X = 3.28 + 12.01
X = 15.29m
The last term ([itex]1/2at^2[/itex]) is not correct. What is the acceleration? (Careful with signs--if up the incline is positive, then down the incline must be negative.) What is the time?

This equation for uniformly accelerated motion will come up often, so be sure you get it straight.

I've often had problems with these questions. When I put a value in for acceleration, my teacher always circles it and says there should be no acceleration when solving for distance X, so I get confused alot!

I know I've got the right answer, but want to know how to correct this other equation.

X = 0 + (4)(0.82) +1/2(4.9)(0.82)^2
X = 3.28 - 1.64
X = 1.64m !

THANKS !

cosine theta of the inclination [in a gravitational field] would be worthy of consideration.

physicsnewby said:
I've often had problems with these questions. When I put a value in for acceleration, my teacher always circles it and says there should be no acceleration when solving for distance X, so I get confused alot!
Not all motion is accelerated. For example, in projectile motion problems the acceleration only affects the vertical motion, not the horizontal. In such a problem there will be no acceleration when solving for horizontal (x-axis) distance.

I know I've got the right answer, but want to know how to correct this other equation.

X = 0 + (4)(0.82) +1/2(4.9)(0.82)^2
X = 3.28 - 1.64
X = 1.64m !
The only error that I see is having the wrong sign for the acceleration in the first line. The magnitude of the acceleration down the incline will be [itex]g \sin 30 = g/2 = 4.9[/itex], but the sign should be negative, since it acts down the incline.

In a projectile problem, you have two forces - gravity and propulsion.

Chronos said:
In a projectile problem, you have two forces - gravity and propulsion.
Once an object has been thrown or released, it becomes a projectile. Ignoring air resistance, the only force acting on it is gravity. (Once released, any propulsive force no longer acts.)

Correction noted. Initial velocity is the proper terminology.

What is a frictionless inclined plane?

A frictionless inclined plane is a theoretical plane surface with no friction, where a body can slide without any resistance. This means that there is no force acting against the motion of the body, making it move with constant speed.

What are the benefits of using a frictionless inclined plane in experiments?

Using a frictionless inclined plane allows for a simplified analysis of motion and forces. It eliminates the influence of friction, making it easier to calculate and understand the effects of other forces on the body.

How does the angle of inclination affect the motion of a body on a frictionless inclined plane?

The angle of inclination determines the acceleration of the body. The steeper the angle, the greater the acceleration. At a 0 degree angle, the body will not move at all, while at a 90 degree angle, the body will experience the maximum acceleration due to gravity.

What are some real-life examples of frictionless inclined planes?

Some examples of real-life frictionless inclined planes include roller coasters, water slides, and ski slopes. These structures are designed to minimize friction and allow for a smooth and fast descent.

How does friction affect the motion of a body on a regular inclined plane?

Friction always acts against the direction of motion, so on a regular inclined plane, it will oppose the motion of the body and cause it to slow down. This means that the acceleration of the body will be less than that of a frictionless inclined plane.