Fun with cryogenics and whip cream

• Thread starter runnergeek2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fun
In summary, there is a claim that dipping a can of shaving cream in liquid nitrogen and placing it in a car will cause the shaving cream to expand and fill the entire car. It is uncertain if the same effect can be achieved with whipped cream, as it is already whipped and does not contain a propellant like shaving cream does. However, it may be possible with synthetic "squirty cream" that comes in a pressurized can. Experimentation is recommended, but caution should be taken when using a car for testing.
runnergeek2
has anyone heard about dipping a can of shaving cream in liquid nitrogen, stripping away the metal and then placing the remains in a car. The effect is supposed to be that the shaving cream expands to such a great volume that it fills the entire car.

If this is possible I was wondering if the same can be done with whip cream.:rofl:

Physics news on Phys.org
No, shaving cream is expanding by the boiling of a liquid gas propellant that is under pressure in the can. Whipped cream is full of air at atmospheric pressure. No additional expansion will be available.

Sorry, I was thinking of the old fashioned way of making whipped cream by hand. If you are using a pressurized can of whipped cream the same results may happen.

Last edited:
has anyone heard about dipping a can of shaving cream in liquid nitrogen, stripping away the metal and then placing the remains in a car. The effect is supposed to be that the shaving cream expands to such a great volume that it fills the entire car.

If this is possible I was wondering if the same can be done with whip cream.

This definitely calls for an experiment, though in order to preserve a reasonable degree of goodwill within society in general I may reccomend not using a car for the testing.

Atleast not a very expensive one.

Real 'Whipped cream' doesn't expand further - it's already whipped.
I think the OP meant the synthetic 'squirty cream' that come in an presurised can, I think that is cream (probably plus some emulsifier or vegatable oil) and a propellant. So it might work.

Wouldn't one get the same amount of expansion by simply taping down the trigger and letting the cream (whipped or shaving) out of the can?

Yes, but that is being a bit sensible ! It's more fun to watch the uncontrollable expansion of a frozen block of the stuff - at least if it isn't you car.

What is cryogenics?

Cryogenics is the branch of science that deals with the production and effects of very low temperatures, typically below -150°C (-238°F). It involves the use of liquid nitrogen or other cryogenic gases to freeze materials and preserve them for extended periods of time.

What is the role of whip cream in cryogenics?

Whip cream is often used in cryogenics experiments as a medium for freezing and preserving biological materials. The fats and sugars in whip cream act as a protective layer around the material, preventing damage from the extreme cold temperatures.

What are some fun experiments you can do with cryogenics and whip cream?

Some fun experiments include creating instant ice cream by freezing whip cream with liquid nitrogen, making whipped cream clouds by spraying whipped cream into liquid nitrogen, and creating frozen sculptures by dipping objects into liquid nitrogen-covered whipped cream.

Is cryogenics safe for food consumption?

Yes, cryogenics is safe for food consumption as long as the proper precautions are taken. Liquid nitrogen should never be ingested directly and always be allowed to evaporate before consuming any food that has been exposed to it.

What are the potential dangers of working with cryogenics and whip cream?

The main danger of working with cryogenics and whip cream is the risk of extreme cold burns. It is important to always wear protective gear such as gloves and goggles when handling cryogenic materials. There is also a risk of asphyxiation if working in an unventilated area with high levels of cryogenic gases.