Calculate Force for Constant Velocity: Force & Velocity Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a particle moving at a constant velocity of v = (3 m/s) i - (4 m/s) j while being acted upon by two forces, one of which is F1 = (4 N) i + (-9 N) j. The speaker is unsure about how to relate force and velocity and seeks hints to solve the problem.
snoggerT
While two forces act on it, a particle is to move at the constant velocity v = (3 m/s) i - (4 m/s) j. One of the forces is F1 = (4 N) i + (- 9 N) j. What is the other force?

2. Homework Equations : Unsure

The Attempt at a Solution

- I know this is an easy problem, but I have one problem with it. I'm not sure how to relate force and velocity. So I'm not even sure where to start. Any hints to point me in the right direction would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
What does Newton say about particles moving at constant velocity?

PhanthomJay said:
What does Newton say about particles moving at constant velocity?

- I figured I was just thinking too much about that problem. Thanks.

What is force?

Force is a physical quantity that can cause an object to accelerate. It is measured in units of Newtons (N) and can be represented by the formula F=ma, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration.

What is velocity?

Velocity is a physical quantity that describes the rate of change of an object's position. It is measured in units of meters per second (m/s) and can be represented by the formula v=d/t, where v is velocity, d is displacement, and t is time.

What is constant velocity?

Constant velocity is when an object is moving at a steady rate without changing its speed or direction. This means that the object's velocity remains constant over time.

How do I calculate force for constant velocity?

To calculate force for constant velocity, you can use the formula F=mv/t, where F is force, m is mass, v is velocity, and t is time. This formula applies to situations where the object is moving at a constant velocity and there are no other external forces acting on it.

What are some real-life examples of calculating force for constant velocity?

One example of calculating force for constant velocity is a car traveling at a constant speed on a straight road. In this situation, the force acting on the car is equal to the product of its mass and velocity divided by time. Another example could be a person pushing a box across a frictionless surface with a constant velocity. The force in this case would be equal to the weight of the box, which is its mass multiplied by the acceleration due to gravity.