Formulas for acoustical dampening?

• Thread starter Sean Powell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formulas
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of formulas for acoustical dampening in engineering, specifically in isolating loud motors from transmitting sound energy into the supporting structure. The formulas involve calculating the percentage of sound energy dampened out for a specific frequency based on the mass of the motor frame and the amount of pre-deflection of the supports. There is also a mention of a dangerous amplification frequency that should be avoided when building a smaller machine. The conversation also includes a link to a webpage with more information on the topic.
Sean Powell
Formulas for acoustical dampening?

Hello,

A number of years back I worked at an engineering company where we needed to isolate very large, very loud motors from transmitting sound energy into the supporting structure. We did this with a series of elastic isolators that supported the motors and frames. Based on some very simple formulas provided by the isomount fabricators we could calculate the % of sound energy dampened out for a specific frequency if we knew the mass of the motor frame and the amount of pre-deflection of the supports. For obvious reasons dampening out the lower frequencies required larger elastic pre-loads but there was a critical point for each frequency where you could set up a harmonic resonance within the isolators and accidentally get your motor frame bouncing… very bad when it’s a pair of 500hp motors and a 20ft diameter wheel running at 45mph tangential velocity.

Anyway, I have long since misplaced these formulas and don’t necessarily remember their correct application. If someone can recite the formulas or direct me to a web-page with a good explanation I would appreciate it. I now need to build a smaller machine that is essentially a hydraulic trip-hammer but it will have a variable speed setting and I need to assure myself before building it that I won’t have to pass through a dangerous amplification frequency while getting up to working speed.

Thank you,
Sean

Engineering news on Phys.org
Well some more extensive searching eventually led to this web page:

http://www.ribaproductselector.com/Docs/5/22595/external/COL122595.pdf?ac=

I'm posting it here in case someone uses a search engine on these posts so they don't come up dry.

Thanks,
Sean

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't say I have anything specific to isolation. The broad, general equations are stuff we tend to work with. I didn't get a chance to look through your link, but I would be interested to know if they are simply results of the ODE for a single DOF mass with a spring model.

FredGarvin said:
I didn't get a chance to look through your link, but I would be interested to know if they are simply results of the ODE for a single DOF mass with a spring model.

That's mostly what they are, apart from a few general comments on coupled modes at the end.

FWIW when I view the link, I don't see the symbol [tex]\pi[/tex] in the equations, which makes many of them look wrong. Beware!

1. What is acoustical dampening?

Acoustical dampening is the process of reducing or absorbing sound waves, often referred to as "noise." It is used to control noise levels and improve sound quality in various settings.

2. How do you measure acoustical dampening?

The most common unit of measurement for acoustical dampening is the decibel (dB). This scale is used to measure the intensity or loudness of sound. The higher the dB rating, the louder the sound.

3. What are the main factors that affect acoustical dampening?

The main factors that affect acoustical dampening include the type of material used, the thickness and density of the material, and the placement and arrangement of the material. Other factors such as air gaps and reflections can also impact the effectiveness of acoustical dampening.

4. What are some common materials used for acoustical dampening?

Some common materials used for acoustical dampening include acoustic foam, fiberglass, mineral wool, and mass-loaded vinyl. These materials are specifically designed to absorb or block sound waves, reducing their intensity and improving the overall acoustics of a space.

5. How can I calculate the amount of acoustical dampening needed for a specific space?

Calculating the amount of acoustical dampening needed for a space depends on several factors such as the size of the space, the type and intensity of sound being produced, and the desired level of noise reduction. It is best to consult with an acoustical consultant or use online calculators to determine the appropriate amount of acoustical dampening needed for a specific space.