Using current divider circuit

In summary, the conversation is about using the current divider formula to find I3. The advice given is to use the formula twice, first by associating R2, R3, and R4 into a single resistor and calculating the current through it, and then using this current to calculate I3. The person named CEL also replied to the original poster and asked to see their work as they apply this advice.
john88
Hi I want someone to guide me through this by using current divider, where I want to find I3. Can I use the current divider formula directly or?

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/7952/picha1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
john88 said:
Hi I want someone to guide me through this by using current divider, where I want to find I3. Can I use the current divider formula directly or?

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/7952/picha1.jpg

You must use the current divider twice.
First associate R2, R3 and R4 in a single resistor and calculate the current through the association, then use this current to calculate i3.

Last edited by a moderator:

somebody reply me='(...MEHRIN SALIM

Mehrin Salim said:
somebody reply me='(...MEHRIN SALIM

CEL did reply to you. Show us your work as you apply CEL's advice.

I would be happy to guide you through using the current divider circuit to find I3. The current divider formula can be used directly in this situation, but it is important to understand the principles behind it.

The current divider circuit is a useful tool for finding the current flowing through a specific branch of a circuit. It is based on the principle that the total current entering a junction will split into smaller currents as it passes through different branches. The amount of current flowing through each branch is inversely proportional to the resistance of that branch.

In the circuit provided, we can see that there are two branches - one with a resistance of 2Ω and one with a resistance of 4Ω. To find the current flowing through each branch, we can use the current divider formula:

I3 = (I1 * R2) / (R1 + R2)

Where I3 is the current flowing through the 4Ω branch, I1 is the total current entering the junction, R2 is the resistance of the 4Ω branch, and R1 is the resistance of the 2Ω branch.

Substituting the values from the circuit, we get:

I3 = (5A * 4Ω) / (2Ω + 4Ω)

I3 = 20/6 A

I3 = 3.33 A

Therefore, using the current divider formula, we can determine that the current flowing through the 4Ω branch (I3) is 3.33 A.

I hope this explanation helps guide you through using the current divider circuit to find I3. Remember, it is important to understand the principles behind the formula in order to apply it correctly in different situations.

What is a current divider circuit?

A current divider circuit is an electrical circuit that divides the total current flowing through it into smaller currents that flow through each individual branch of the circuit.

How does a current divider circuit work?

A current divider circuit works by utilizing the principle of parallel circuits, where the total current entering a junction is divided among the branches based on their resistance values. The branch with the lower resistance will have a higher current flow compared to the branch with a higher resistance.

What are the applications of a current divider circuit?

A current divider circuit has various applications in electronics, such as voltage regulators, LED circuits, and sensor circuits. It is also commonly used in power distribution systems to regulate the flow of current between different branches in a circuit.

How do I calculate the currents in a current divider circuit?

The currents in a current divider circuit can be calculated using Ohm's law, where the current in each branch is equal to the total voltage divided by the resistance of that branch. The sum of the individual currents should also equal the total current entering the circuit.

What are some factors that can affect the accuracy of a current divider circuit?

The accuracy of a current divider circuit can be affected by variations in the resistance values of the branches, changes in the supply voltage, and temperature changes. It is important to use precision resistors and ensure stable operating conditions for accurate results.