Mega Volcano 2012: Troubling Signs of a Possible Eruption

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Volcano
In summary, there are concerns about a possible mega eruption in 2012 from a supervolcano located in the Eduardo Avaroa Caldera Complex in South America. Some experts have noted an increase in harmonic tremors and predict the eruption based on an extrapolation of data. However, there are doubts about the reliability of the news source reporting this information. The movie "Supervolcano" has also explored the potential disaster.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
http://www.indiadaily.com/editorial/17965.asp

A supervolcano hidden in a veritable mega-volcano nursery called the Eduardo Avaroa Caldera Complex, located in the inhospitable Puna-Altiplano region near the tri-section of Argentina, Bolivia, and Chile is a major focus of many volcano experts in recent days.

The harmonic tremor is appreciating in a cyclical way. There are signs of trouble ahead. An extrapolation in the time axis points to a possible mega eruption in 2012.

Last edited:
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
I can't remember why but I'm sure I remember India Daily being an unreliable and untrustworthy news source. A quick google search hasn't found any similar stories elsewhere so I'd take this with a pinch of salt.

It's not completely bogus, but like most other science articles from Indiadaily, it's old news that's hyped up and made to look like yet another apocalypse (Indiadaily loves apocalyses).

http://www.geosociety.org/news/pr/06-13.htm

Hmm, didn't the mayan calendar also end some kind of cycle in 2012 as well?

Did anyone ever see that movie called Supervolcano? I think it was possibly made by Discovery Channel or something like that. My geology prof showed it to scare us. It was actually a pretty decent show.

http://shopping.discovery.com/product-58069.html

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a mega volcano and how is it different from a regular volcano?

A mega volcano, also known as a super volcano, is an extremely large volcano capable of producing eruptions that are thousands of times larger than those of normal volcanoes. These eruptions are so massive that they can have global impacts on climate and human civilization.

2. What are some signs that a mega volcano may be gearing up for an eruption?

Some of the most common signs of a possible eruption from a mega volcano include increased seismic activity, changes in the shape of the volcano, rising magma levels, and changes in gas emissions. Scientists also monitor the surrounding area for any unusual geological activity.

3. Is there a mega volcano that is currently showing signs of a possible eruption in 2012?

There is no specific mega volcano that is currently showing signs of an eruption in 2012. However, there are several active mega volcanoes around the world that are closely monitored by scientists for any potential signs of activity.

4. How likely is it that a mega volcano will erupt in the near future?

The likelihood of a mega volcano erupting in the near future is relatively low. While they are capable of causing catastrophic eruptions, these events typically occur once every few hundred thousand years. However, it is important for scientists to continue monitoring these volcanoes in case of any sudden changes or signs of activity.

5. What would be the potential consequences of a mega volcano eruption?

If a mega volcano were to erupt, it could have devastating consequences on a global scale. The eruption could release massive amounts of ash, gas, and volcanic debris into the atmosphere, potentially causing global climate change and impacting human civilization. It is important for scientists to closely monitor these volcanoes and have emergency plans in place to mitigate any potential effects.

Back