Induced superficial charge distribution of a sphere

In summary, A student new to the forums expresses appreciation for the help in understanding physics. They ask for assistance in finding the induced superficial charge distribution of a conductor sphere moving through a perpendicular magnetic field using the Lorentz formalism. They mention not having access to electromagnetic theory books and being unsure due to taking the course a while back. The student shares their approach of using the relativistic form of the Lorentz force and resolving the potential equation with a "virtual" electric field. They mention waiting for feedback and wondering if anyone is interested in their method.
ReyChiquito
Hello, I am new to this forums but i think you are doing a wonderfull job in helping us students trough our physics learning :redface:

Here is my q.

I have a conductor sphere moving at constant velocity trough a constant perpendicular magnetic field and i need to find the induced superficial charge distribution of the sphere under the Lorentz formalism..

i don't have any electromagnetic theory books at hand and i took the electromagnetic theory course a while back, so I am kind of clueless here...

any help will be apretiated... thx

Physics news on Phys.org
lol... maybe i posted this one in the wrong board

here is what i did (if anyone is interested)

i used the relativistic form of the lorentz force and replaced the magnetic field for a "virtual" electric field acting on the sphere and simply resolved the potential equation.

i don't know if this was done right, all i have to do is wait till tomorrow.

thats of course if anyone cares :P

Last edited:

Hello and welcome to the forum! I am glad to hear that you find this forum helpful in your physics learning.

To answer your question, the induced superficial charge distribution on a sphere moving through a magnetic field can be calculated using the Lorentz force law. This law states that the force on a charged particle moving through a magnetic field is given by F = qv x B, where q is the charge of the particle, v is its velocity, and B is the magnetic field.

In the case of a conductor sphere, the charge is free to move within the sphere. This means that as the sphere moves through the magnetic field, the charges within the sphere will experience a force and will redistribute themselves on the surface of the sphere.

To calculate the induced superficial charge distribution, you will need to consider the forces acting on each small element of charge on the surface of the sphere. This can be done by integrating the Lorentz force law over the surface of the sphere.

If you are familiar with vector calculus, you can use the concept of flux to calculate the total charge induced on the surface of the sphere. The flux of the magnetic field through the surface of the sphere is equal to the total charge induced on the surface.

I recommend consulting an electromagnetic theory textbook for a more detailed explanation and examples of how to solve problems like this. I hope this helps and good luck with your studies!

1. What is the concept of induced superficial charge distribution of a sphere?

The induced superficial charge distribution of a sphere is a phenomenon that occurs when a charged object is brought near a neutral conducting sphere. This results in a redistribution of charge on the surface of the sphere, causing an imbalance of charges on the opposite sides of the sphere. This leads to the creation of an electric field on the surface of the sphere.

2. How does the charge distribution on a sphere change when a charged object is brought near it?

When a charged object is brought near a neutral conducting sphere, the charge distribution on the surface of the sphere changes. The side of the sphere that is closer to the charged object will experience an attraction and the opposite side will experience a repulsion. This results in a redistribution of charges, causing an imbalance on the surface of the sphere.

3. What factors affect the induced superficial charge distribution of a sphere?

The induced superficial charge distribution of a sphere is affected by several factors, including the magnitude of the charge on the object, the distance between the object and the sphere, and the conductivity of the sphere's material. The shape and size of the sphere also play a role in the distribution of charges.

4. How does the electric field on the surface of a sphere relate to the induced superficial charge distribution?

The electric field on the surface of a sphere is directly related to the induced superficial charge distribution. The electric field is created due to the imbalance of charges on the surface of the sphere, and its strength is determined by the distribution of charges. A stronger electric field will be present on the side of the sphere that is closer to the charged object.

5. Can the induced superficial charge distribution of a sphere be used in any practical applications?

Yes, the induced superficial charge distribution of a sphere has several practical applications. It is used in electrostatic paint sprayers, where charged paint particles are attracted to a neutral object, resulting in a more efficient and even coating. It is also utilized in some types of air filters, where charged particles are attracted to a neutral filter, making it easier to remove them. Additionally, it is used in electrostatic precipitators to remove pollutants from industrial exhaust gases.