What is the error in finding the volume of a cap of a sphere using integration?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the volume of a cap of a sphere with given radius and height. The person attempted to solve the problem by flattening the sphere and rotating it, but their solution was deemed incorrect by their computer program. They question what they did wrong and mention that the volume should approach zero as the height approaches zero.
samee

Homework Statement

Find the volume of a cap of a sphere with radius r and height h.
A picture of it is given here;
http://sjc.ilrn.com/ilrn/bca/user/appletImage?dbid=1276286560

Homework Equations

The area of a circle is [tex]\pi\[/tex]r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

So I flattened the sphere into a circle and solved me equation for x;
x=sqrt(r^2-y^2)
Then I rotated it around the y-axis and integrated to find;
[tex]\pi[/tex][tex]\int[/tex][tex]\stackrel{h}{r}[/tex](r²-y²)dy= [tex]\pi[/tex]((1/3)h³+(2/3)r³-hr²)

But the computer program I do my homework on tells me that it wrong. Now I'm confused. What did I do wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
As h->0 the volume should go to zero, right? Does yours? That's a clue something is wrong. Look at your limits of integration again. Are they right?

1. What is the formula for finding the volume of a cap of a sphere?

The formula for finding the volume of a cap of a sphere is V = (πh^2/3)(3R - h), where V is the volume, h is the height of the cap, and R is the radius of the sphere.

2. How do you measure the height of a cap on a sphere?

The height of a cap on a sphere can be measured by finding the distance from the center of the sphere to the top of the cap. This can be done using a ruler or measuring tape.

3. Can the volume of a cap of a sphere be negative?

No, the volume of a cap of a sphere cannot be negative. It is always a positive value, as it represents the amount of space inside the cap.

4. How does the volume of a cap of a sphere change with different heights?

The volume of a cap of a sphere increases as the height of the cap increases. This is because a taller cap has a larger volume of space inside it compared to a shorter cap.

5. Is the volume of a cap of a sphere affected by the size of the sphere?

Yes, the volume of a cap of a sphere is affected by the size of the sphere. A larger sphere will have a larger volume of space inside its cap compared to a smaller sphere with the same cap height.