Why is Mechanics Goldstein difficult to understand?

In summary, the conversation discusses the internal force between two particles and its relation to the potential energy. The author mentions the different notations used for the force and the potential energy and clarifies that they are discussing Herbert Goldstein's textbook on classical mechanics. They also mention confusion with another author, Sheldon Goldstein, who deals with quantum mechanics.
pardesi
i don't get this what he wrote...
the internal force [tex]\vec{F_{ij}}[/tex] between two particles is [tex]\vec{F_{ij}}=\nabla_{i} V_{ij}=\nabla_{ij} V_{ij}=-\nabla_{j} V_{ij}[/tex]
where the subscript below [tex]\nabla_{k}[/tex]implies the differentitaion with respect to components of [tex]\vec{r_{k}}[/tex]
i can't get how [tex]\vec{F_{ij}}=\nabla_{i} V_{ij} or \vec{F_{ij}}=-\nabla_{j} V_{ij}[/tex]
the potential energy is dependent on the relative distances between the particles hence there is no meaning to the above two equalities

Physics news on Phys.org
are we talking about Sheldon Goldstein?

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh...

I was thinking about Sheldon Goldstein who deals with quantum mechanics. Sorry

nonlocal said:
Oh...

I was thinking about Sheldon Goldstein who deals with quantum mechanics. Sorry
Yes, you are thinking of Shelly Goldstein of Rutgers, the expert on Bohmian mechanics, not Herbert Goldstein, author of the classic textbook on classical mechanics.

oops sorry for the inconvinience that was Herbert Goldstein...

P.S:Starnge but i am not able to post with my opera 9.27(because the posting page doesn't load completely) though i am able to do so with FireFox 3 Beta 5...i use Ubuntu 8.04

What is Mechanics Goldstein again?

Mechanics Goldstein again refers to the book "Classical Mechanics" by Herbert Goldstein, which is a widely used and highly respected textbook in the field of classical mechanics.

What topics are covered in Mechanics Goldstein again?

Mechanics Goldstein again covers a wide range of topics in classical mechanics, including kinematics, Newton's laws, conservation laws, rigid body dynamics, and small oscillations.

Is Mechanics Goldstein again suitable for beginners?

No, Mechanics Goldstein again is not suitable for beginners. It is a graduate-level textbook and assumes a strong background in mathematics and physics.

How is Mechanics Goldstein again different from other mechanics textbooks?

Mechanics Goldstein again is known for its thorough and rigorous treatment of classical mechanics, often including more advanced topics than other textbooks. It also includes many challenging problems for students to solve.

Is Mechanics Goldstein again still relevant in modern physics?

Yes, Mechanics Goldstein again is still considered a fundamental and valuable resource in the field of classical mechanics. While new theories and discoveries have been made, the principles and concepts covered in this book are still widely applicable and used today.