What is in the Empty Space of an Atom?

• Thread starter nancy1251
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Atoms
In summary: The electron does not actually move, it is just smeared in a geometric pattern around the nucleus. This geometric pattern is what makes the atom stable. The reason the electron can't fall into the nucleus is because it can only have certain energies and can't have the intermediate energy needed when it has fallen halfway. Additionally, the electron repels other electrons due to like charges.
nancy1251
Hello I was wondering if someone could tell me what is in the empty space of an atom. Or if it's actually empty why doesn't it fill up with something or collapse?
Thanks for taking the time to answer what I hope isn't too dumb a question:smile:
Nancy

Physics news on Phys.org
The empty space inside the atom is just that- empty space.

The reason electrons don't collapse into the nucleus is because the laws of quantum mechanics prevent the electron from doing so. For more detail on this question about the atom collapsing, see the FAQ in the general physics forum:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=104715

Thank you for your reply. After reading it this is what I understand. Over 99% of everything is non existent or empty space. And electrons don't actually move they are instead smeared in a geometric pattern around the neculeus and that is what makes the atom stable.

Is this right?

Thanks again
Nancy

nancy1251 said:
Over 99% of everything is non existent or empty space.
Rather more than 99% by volume but yes.

And electrons don't actually move they are instead smeared in a geometric pattern around the neculeus and that is what makes the atom stable.
The classic picture of electrons like little planets whizzing around the nucleus is wrong but easy to picture. In quantum mechanics everything is smeared, it's just that as you get bigger the smearing is less - so a house is pretty sharp at the edges but a tiny electron is very smeared!
The reason the electrons can't fall into the nucleus is because they can only have certain energies and can't have the intermediate energy needed when they have fallen halfway.
It's not that they are locked in a geometric pattern repelling each other like stones in an arch - although that is a pretty good pitcure.

How remarkable. And thank you very much
Nancy

Sorry but I just have one more question. If all this is true and I assume it is, why can't I put my hand through my kitchen table?
Thanks again
Nancy

That's a very good question!
Materials are solids because the atoms all attract each other. The positive nucleus strongly attracts it's own electrons but also has a weak pull on the electrons on another atom (weaker because they are further away), this bonds all the atoms together. The strength of these bonds determines wether you have a very hard material like diamond or a weak one like water.

When you try and push atoms together the like-charges repel pushing them back apart - which is why everything doesn't immediately collapse into a neutron star.

So when you touch a table, the electrons in the atoms on you fingers are repelling the electrons in the atoms of the table. Thats the force you feel.

OK well that makes sense, thank you. What makes some materials denser than others? I can put my hand through jello.
Thanks
Nancy

oops sorry I didn't read the whole answer I just looked at my email. I got it.
Thanks again
Nancy

nancy1251 said:
Hello I was wondering if someone could tell me what is in the empty space of an atom. Or if it's actually empty why doesn't it fill up with something or collapse?
Thanks for taking the time to answer what I hope isn't too dumb a question:smile:
Nancy

Hey nancy1251
How would the electron collapse? its a wave!

aniketp said:
How would the electron collapse? its a wave!
I think they were asking why the atom doesn't collapse ie. why electrons didn't fall into the nucleus. This is a very good question, answering it took most of 20c physics.

1. What is the empty space of an atom made of?

The empty space of an atom is not made of any physical material. It is simply the absence of particles, such as protons, neutrons, and electrons.

2. Is the empty space of an atom truly empty?

No, the empty space of an atom is not completely empty. It is filled with tiny, constantly moving particles called virtual particles, which quickly appear and disappear.

3. How much empty space is there in an atom?

The amount of empty space in an atom varies depending on the element, but it typically makes up over 99% of the atom's total volume.

4. Can anything exist in the empty space of an atom?

Yes, particles such as electrons can exist in the empty space of an atom. These particles are constantly moving and interacting with each other within the atom.

5. Why is the empty space of an atom important for understanding matter?

The empty space of an atom is important because it allows for the movement and interactions of particles, which ultimately determine the properties and behavior of matter.