Cosine function & Modelling Tides

In summary: I'm having a bit of trouble working out the cosine function for the data I have on tide charts.Homework Equationsy=acos(nx-b)+c or y=Acos(Bx + C) + DThe Attempt at a SolutionThrough research I know that amplitude, a, will be (average high tide - average low tide) / 2so amplitude = 1.805Period,n or B, will be average time between high tides, so 12.29Now, I know that these are correct, but I'm no quite sure why. Nor do I know what the phase shift, b or C, will be.
flyinghigh
I'm having a bit of trouble working out the cosine function for the data I have on tide charts.

Homework Statement

I need to put the data provided into the cosine function y=acos(nx-b)+c

Morning average high tide: 5.137 metres
Morning average low tide: 1.29 metres
Afternoon average high tide: 4.732 metres
Afternoon average low tide: 1.35
Average high tide: 4.93 metres
Average low tide: 1.32 metres
Average time between high tide: 12.18 hours
Average time between low tides: 12.15 hours

Homework Equations

y=acos(nx-b)+c or y=Acos(Bx + C) + D

The Attempt at a Solution

Through research I know that amplitude, a, will be (average high tide - average low tide) / 2
so amplitude = 1.805

Period,n or B, will be average time between high tides, so 12.29

Now, I know that these are correct, but I'm no quite sure why. Nor do I know what the phase shift, b or C, will be. I have a feeling that c or D will be (average high tide + average low tide) / 2 = 3.125, but once again don't know why..

Any help would be most appreciated!

flyinghigh

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay so the basic equation for the cosine function, as you have correctly is
y = Acos(Bx + c) + D
Where A is the amplitude
B is called the angular frequency. It is the 2pi (period of the cosine function y = cos(x)) divided by T where T is the period of your function. T is just the distance of one "cycle".
x is your x.
c is your phase shift for x. This is because you see, the c is inside the entire cosine function, and this would add to your x. A positive phase shift means a phase **** to your left on the x-axis and a negative phase shift means a phase shift to your right on the x axis.
D is the phase shift on the y axis. Its just like another linear equation where the y intercept is c. However, for this function, just ignore the D first and graph it. After this, shift the function up or down by D on the y axis

If you don't understand anything from ^, let me know.

If my explanation wasn't sufficient, you might want to try:
http://www.zweigmedia.com/RealWorld/Calcsumm9.html

Thanks for the clarification physicsnoob93. So, taking what you said into account, the function would be
y=1.805cos(2[tex]\pi[/tex]/5x-??)+3.125

Is that on the way to being correct? I'm just not sure what C should be...?

flyinghigh

Ok sorry but I'm not really looking at the values but what you have to do is compare the cosine function:
y = cos(x) and your function.
You have to compare how much the x changes between the cos(x) function and the your function. This is the phase shift in the x direction.

K thanks for the help so far. If anyone else can help that would be greatly appreciated!

flyinghigh

1. What is a cosine function?

A cosine function is a mathematical function that describes the relationship between the angle of a right triangle and the ratio between the adjacent and hypotenuse sides. It is represented by the formula cos(x) = adjacent/hypotenuse.

2. How is the cosine function used in modelling tides?

The cosine function is used in modelling tides because it can accurately represent the cyclical nature of the Earth's tides. The tides are primarily caused by the gravitational pull of the moon and the sun, which follow a regular pattern. By using a cosine function, scientists can predict the height and timing of tides at different locations.

3. Why is the cosine function preferred over other functions for modelling tides?

The cosine function is preferred over other functions for modelling tides because it has a repeating pattern with a period of 24 hours, which closely matches the pattern of tides on Earth. Additionally, the cosine function has a smooth curve that accurately represents the gradual change in tidal height over time.

4. How do scientists validate the accuracy of their tide models?

Scientists validate the accuracy of their tide models by comparing the predicted tide levels to actual measurements taken at various locations. They also use historical data and incorporate other factors such as wind and atmospheric pressure to refine and improve their models.

5. Can the cosine function be used for other types of data modelling?

Yes, the cosine function can be used for other types of data modelling that have a cyclical nature, such as the changes in daylight hours throughout the year or the fluctuations in temperature over a 24-hour period. It can also be used in various fields such as economics, engineering, and physics to model periodic phenomena.