Diffraction grating wavelength problem

In summary: Which tells us the width of the fringe is 0.2 m. Distance between screen and grating is 1m. so let's calculatedsin(theta)=m*lambda_max(5E-6)(1.2/(sqrt(1^2+1.2^2)))=3*lambda_max
bcjochim07

Homework Statement

Light passes through a 200 line/mm grating and is observed on a 1.0 m wide screen located 1.0 m behind the grating. Three bright fringes are seen on both sides of the central maximum. What are the minimum and maximum possible values of wavelength?

Homework Equations

d= 1mm/200 lines = 5.0e-6 meters

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I got the maximum value:

The maximum value is where the m=3 bright fringe is on the edge of the screen, so the angle is arctan(.5/1) theta= 26.56 degrees. Then dsin(theta)=m*lambda

(5.0e-6)sin(26.56)=3* lambda lambda= 7.45e-7 meters= 745 nm

But for the minimum, I can't figure out what kind of relationship to set up.

Physics news on Phys.org
Does this have something to do with the fact the bands are SEEN on the screen, so the range of visible wavelengths being 380 nm- 750 nm, my guess would be that the minimum wavelength would be 380 nm.

Hi bcjochim07,

bcjochim07 said:
Does this have something to do with the fact the bands are SEEN on the screen, so the range of visible wavelengths being 380 nm- 750 nm, my guess would be that the minimum wavelength would be 380 nm.

I do not believe that is right. Instead, think of the fact that you cannot see the fourth fringe on the screen. What limit does that put on the wavelength?

Is my maximum correct then? Ok, so the fourth fringe will appear on the edge of the screen when:

(5e-6)sin(26.56)=(4)*lambda lambda= 5.59e-7 m. So the wavelength has to be greater than 559 nm.

bcjochim07 said:
Is my maximum correct then? Ok, so the fourth fringe will appear on the edge of the screen when:

(5e-6)sin(26.56)=(4)*lambda lambda= 5.59e-7 m. So the wavelength has to be greater than 559 nm.

That looks right to me.

That depends on your source. If youve used a white light source then minimum wavelength should be blue and longest one should be red.

good luck

Hi polarized hopes,

polarized hopes said:
That depends on your source. If youve used a white light source then minimum wavelength should be blue and longest one should be red.

good luck

In this problem the light source has a single frequency, and they are asking for the maximum and minimum values of that frequency that allows only three fringes to appear on the screen.

alphysicist said:
Hi polarized hopes,

In this problem the light source has a single frequency, and they are asking for the maximum and minimum values of that frequency that allows only three fringes to appear on the screen.

a diffraction grating resolves the spectral and temporal elements of an incident em wave. since no em wave is actually including single frequency, each fringe includes the wavelength distribution information of incident wave. i believe those fringes that you have observed are not the frequency components, they are first, second and third order diffracted light. (m=1, 2, 3)

polarized hopes said:
a diffraction grating resolves the spectral and temporal elements of an incident em wave. since no em wave is actually including single frequency, each fringe includes the wavelength distribution information of incident wave. i believe those fringes that you have observed are not the frequency components, they are first, second and third order diffracted light. (m=1, 2, 3)

The assumption in these problems is that we have a light source that is as monochromatic as possible, so that for purposes of locating fringes we can calculate the positions based on that single frequency.

So in this problem, the question is if there is only three orders visible on a screen that is 1 meter wide (and a set distance away), what are the limits on that frequency? One limit corresponds to having the third order be at the edge of the screen (and just visible), and the other limit corresponds to having the fourth order be at the edge of the screen (as close as possible to the edge without being visible).

alphysicist said:
The assumption in these problems is that we have a light source that is as monochromatic as possible, so that for purposes of locating fringes we can calculate the positions based on that single frequency.

So in this problem, the question is if there is only three orders visible on a screen that is 1 meter wide (and a set distance away), what are the limits on that frequency? One limit corresponds to having the third order be at the edge of the screen (and just visible), and the other limit corresponds to having the fourth order be at the edge of the screen (as close as possible to the edge without being visible).

lets say 3rd order diffracted zone begins y=1m apart from y=0, where you observe m=0, and ends y=1.2m apart from y=0. Which tells us the width of the fringe is 0.2 m. Distance between screen and grating is 1m. so let's calculate

dsin(tetha)=m lambda
(5E-6)(1.2/sqrt(1^2+1.2^2))=3 lambda_max
(5E-6)(1/sqrt(1^2+1^2))=3 lambda_min
lambda_max=1.28 um
lambda_min=1.18 um

in short i mean the departure from the origin is important that gives the wavelength information out of the grating equation. lambda is a function of sin(tetha).

polarized hopes said:
lets say 3rd order diffracted zone begins y=1m apart from y=0, where you observe m=0, and ends y=1.2m apart from y=0. Which tells us the width of the fringe is 0.2 m. Distance between screen and grating is 1m. so let's calculate

dsin(tetha)=m lambda
(5E-6)(1.2/sqrt(1^2+1.2^2))=3 lambda_max
(5E-6)(1/sqrt(1^2+1^2))=3 lambda_min
lambda_max=1.28 um
lambda_min=1.18 um

in short i mean the departure from the origin is important that gives the wavelength information out of the grating equation. lambda is a function of sin(tetha).

The width of the fringe is unimportant here; all that matters is its location. (Also, in your denominator on the left hand side of the equation it should be sqrt(1^2+(1/2)^2) since the total length of the screen is 1m, so from center to edge is 0.5m.)

Let me use the answers you gave in your first post to show what's wrong. In your first post you mentioned that the limiting wavelengths were blue and red light; let's assume that we use the textbook values for those wavelengths: 380nm and 750nm.

For a wavelength of 750nm, the third fringe occurs past the edge of the screen, so it does not have three orders visible on the screen, so 750nm is not an answer for the maximum wavelength. (The real answer, 745nm is close, though.)

For the wavelength of 380nm, if you calculate how many orders are visible, you will find that there are more than three orders of 380nm light visible on the screen, so that is not an answer for the minimum wavelength. The real answer (559nm) corresponds to having the fourth order be right at the edge, and so we could say that is the limit for having three order visible. (If the wavelength were any lower, there would not be exactly three orders visible on the screen.)

So the answers are 559nm and 745nm; any wavelength less than this will have more than three fringes visible on the screen, and any wavelength greater will have fewer than three fringes visible on the screen.

1. What is a diffraction grating?

A diffraction grating is a device that consists of a large number of evenly spaced parallel slits or grooves. When light passes through the grating, it is diffracted, or split into multiple beams, due to the interference between the light waves passing through the slits.

2. How does a diffraction grating affect the wavelength of light?

A diffraction grating affects the wavelength of light by causing the light waves to interfere with each other. This interference results in certain wavelengths of light being reinforced and others being canceled out. The wavelength of light that is reinforced is determined by the spacing of the grating's slits.

3. What is the diffraction grating equation?

The diffraction grating equation is nλ = d(sinθi + sinθr), where n is the order of diffraction, λ is the wavelength of light, d is the spacing between the grating's slits, and θi and θr are the angles of incidence and diffraction, respectively.

4. How can the diffraction grating equation be used to solve for wavelength?

To solve for wavelength using the diffraction grating equation, you need to know the order of diffraction, the spacing between the grating's slits, and the angles of incidence and diffraction. Once these values are known, simply rearrange the equation to solve for λ.

5. Can a diffraction grating be used to determine the wavelength of any type of light?

Yes, a diffraction grating can be used to determine the wavelength of any type of light as long as the light is within the visible spectrum and the grating's spacing is appropriate for the wavelength being measured. However, some types of light, such as UV or infrared, may require a specialized diffraction grating with specific spacing to accurately measure their wavelengths.