Conservation of Energy Ball Problem

In summary, the problem involves a 2.00-kg ball attached to the end of a 10-lb fishing line. The ball is released from rest while the line is taut and horizontal, and the goal is to find the angle at which the fishing line will break. The conservation of energy equation is likely a good starting point, but there may not be enough information given to solve for a specific angle. It may also be helpful to consider the force on the line and the effects of gravity.
clairez93

Homework Statement

A 2.00-kg ball is attached to the bottom end of a length of 10-lb (44.5-N) fishing line. The top end of the fishing line is held stationary. The ball is released from rest while the line is taut and horizontal ([tex]\theta[/tex]) = 90.0 degrees). At what angle [tex]\theta[/tex] (measured from the vertical) will the fishing line break?

Homework Equations

Conservation of Energy:
Ki + Ui = Kf + Uf

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm pretty sure that I have to start with the conservation of energy equation, however, I am not quite sure that I have enough numbers to put into solve for anything. Also, I have no idea what circumstances would cause the fishing line to break. I'm just clueless as to where to begin here.

Physics news on Phys.org
clairez93 said:

Homework Statement

A 2.00-kg ball is attached to the bottom end of a length of 10-lb (44.5-N) fishing line. The top end of the fishing line is held stationary. The ball is released from rest while the line is taut and horizontal ([tex]\theta[/tex]) = 90.0 degrees). At what angle [tex]\theta[/tex] (measured from the vertical) will the fishing line break?

Homework Equations

Conservation of Energy:
Ki + Ui = Kf + Uf

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm pretty sure that I have to start with the conservation of energy equation, however, I am not quite sure that I have enough numbers to put into solve for anything. Also, I have no idea what circumstances would cause the fishing line to break. I'm just clueless as to where to begin here.

At what force will the line break? 10 lb test line breaks at ...44.5N? That's what it looks like.

So ... what will the force on the line be?

Doesn't the change in potential energy = kinetic? Might that have something to do with the velocity?

Won't there also be a component of gravity acting on the weight?

As a scientist, it is important to first identify all the given information and variables in the problem. In this case, we are given the mass of the ball (2.00 kg), the tension in the fishing line (44.5 N), and the initial angle of the fishing line (90 degrees). We are also asked to find the angle at which the fishing line will break.

To solve this problem, we can use the principle of conservation of energy. This principle states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred from one form to another. In this case, the potential energy of the ball at the top of the fishing line will be converted into kinetic energy as it falls, until the fishing line breaks.

We can use the conservation of energy equation, Ki + Ui = Kf + Uf, where Ki is the initial kinetic energy, Ui is the initial potential energy, Kf is the final kinetic energy, and Uf is the final potential energy.

At the top of the fishing line, the ball has no kinetic energy and only potential energy given by the equation Ui = mgh, where m is the mass of the ball, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the ball above the ground.

As the ball falls, its potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, given by the equation Kf = (1/2)mv^2, where m is the mass of the ball and v is its final velocity.

Since we are looking for the angle at which the fishing line will break, we can set the final potential energy to zero, as all of the ball's potential energy will be converted into kinetic energy before the line breaks. This gives us the equation Ki = Kf, or mgh = (1/2)mv^2.

We can then solve for the final velocity, v, using the equation v = sqrt(2gh). Once we have the final velocity, we can use trigonometry to find the angle at which the fishing line will break. This angle can be calculated using the equation tan(theta) = v/vx, where vx is the horizontal component of the ball's velocity.

In conclusion, by applying the principle of conservation of energy and using the given information and equations, we can determine the angle at which the fishing line will break. This problem highlights the importance of understanding and applying fundamental scientific principles in solving real-world problems.

1. What is the conservation of energy ball problem?

The conservation of energy ball problem is a physics problem that involves the transfer of energy between two balls of different masses. The problem states that when a ball of mass m1 is dropped from a certain height and collides with a stationary ball of mass m2, the balls will exchange energy and the final heights of the two balls will depend on their masses and initial heights.

2. What is the equation for the conservation of energy ball problem?

The equation for the conservation of energy ball problem is: m1gh1 + 0.5m1v1^2 = m2gh2 + 0.5m2v2^2, where m1 and m2 are the masses of the balls, g is the acceleration due to gravity, h1 and h2 are the initial and final heights of the balls respectively, and v1 and v2 are the initial and final velocities of the balls respectively.

3. How does the conservation of energy apply to this problem?

The conservation of energy principle states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. In the case of the conservation of energy ball problem, the total energy of the system (the two balls) remains constant before and after the collision, with only a transfer of energy between the two balls.

4. What factors affect the final heights of the two balls in this problem?

The final heights of the two balls are affected by their masses, initial heights, and initial velocities. The higher the initial height of the dropped ball, the higher its final height will be after the collision. The heavier the stationary ball, the lower its final height will be. In addition, the initial velocity of the dropped ball also plays a role in determining the final heights of the two balls.

5. How is momentum conserved in the conservation of energy ball problem?

In this problem, momentum is conserved because the total momentum of the system (the two balls) remains constant before and after the collision. This means that the sum of the two balls' masses multiplied by their respective velocities (m1v1 + m2v2) will be the same before and after the collision. This is another way of stating the conservation of energy principle as both momentum and energy are conserved in the collision.