The Next Naked Eye Comet: What to Expect & When

• Thread starter Stratosphere
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Comet Eye
In summary, astronomers do not expect any comparable comet to show up anytime soon. Comet Hale-Bopp was very bright and had a chemical composition that made it easy to see. Comet Lulin is a small comet that is currently visible through a telescope.
Stratosphere
When will the next comet apear for Earth viewers. I know that there is almost always a comet or two visable through a large telescope but when is the next one visable with the naked eye(I want to plan somthing import on that night.) . I wish i was around for comet Hale-Bopp but i was to young.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Well, Hale-Bopp was one of the brightest comets seen for many decades. Astronomers do not expect any comparable comet to show up anytime soon. Hale-Bopp was discovered almost two years before it passed perihelion so when you think about it, the chances are quite slim(almost none). At least for the near future... :(

McNaught was also ridiculously bright, so owing to the laws of probability, we've had our fair share of bright comets already. :mad:

That sucks. Is there anything that might be visable but dim?

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/highlights/35992534.html

Here you go.

What chemical composition does it consist of that gives it the green color?

vincentm said:
What chemical composition does it consist of that gives it the green color?

its mainly cyanogen and some diatomic carbon gases

Here's a wonderful photo of it by Greg Parker and Noel Carboni. Their fantastic astronomy picture-book "Star Vistas" is now shipping. Greg does the imaging in England, emails the images to Noel in Florida, who does the image processing. Notice the quartet of galaxies visible through the comet. NGC 3020, NGC 3024, NGC 3019, NGC 3016 in Leo.http://forum.ourdarkskies.com/gallery_images/1233864399/gallery_131_7_140417.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if I would be able to find comet Lulin, my binoculars are too strong.(20x80)

Stratosphere said:
I don't know if I would be able to find comet Lulin, my binoculars are too strong.(20x80)

You can definitely do it. I have found it through my Newton without using a finderscope. I think your binocs are well suited for this kind of observation. You may want to use a tripod for this though...

alseth said:
You can definitely do it. I have found it through my Newton without using a finderscope. I think your binocs are well suited for this kind of observation. You may want to use a tripod for this though...

Definitely on the tripod. I picked it up a few days ago with my 15x70s and it was tough to see any kind of detail without the tripod.

hale bopp, i remember viewing a comet in grade 3 it must have been hale, that was about 12 years ago, 1996-97 i think.

Wouldnt mind taking a girl up to a hill to watch a comet, the night sky out of city limits is fascinating enough but with a comet streakin through it ohh baby haha.

blimkie.k said:
Wouldnt mind taking a girl up to a hill to watch a comet, the night sky out of city limits is fascinating enough but with a comet streakin through it ohh baby haha.
My idea exactly, i was only 3 or 4 when Hale-Bopp was around. I've always had an interest in science but it faed away around 9 and came back abought 5 months ago twice as strong.

1. What is a naked eye comet?

A naked eye comet is a comet that is visible to the naked eye without the use of binoculars or a telescope. These comets are usually bright and have a distinct tail, making them easily visible in the night sky.

2. When can we expect the next naked eye comet?

The next naked eye comet is difficult to predict as it depends on the unpredictable nature of comets. However, based on past observations, we can expect a naked eye comet to appear every few years.

3. How can we prepare to observe a naked eye comet?

To prepare for observing a naked eye comet, it is important to find a location with minimal light pollution. It is also helpful to have a pair of binoculars or a small telescope to get a better view of the comet's details.

4. What can we expect to see when observing a naked eye comet?

When observing a naked eye comet, you can expect to see a bright object in the night sky with a distinctive tail. The tail may appear to change shape and length as the comet moves closer to the sun.

5. Are there any safety precautions we should take when observing a naked eye comet?

Yes, it is important to never look directly at the sun when trying to observe a naked eye comet, as this can cause permanent eye damage. It is also recommended to use a designated filter or eclipse glasses when observing the comet through a telescope.