Physics degree vs. Engineering vs. Applied Math

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's passion for math and their consideration of different degrees related to it, such as physics, engineering, and applied math. They are also considering a double major and the potential opportunities after graduate school for each degree. There is mention of the difficulty of pursuing a double major with an engineering degree.
thrill3rnit3
Gold Member
Pros and cons of each? I want my future to have something to do with Math [ it's my passion duh ], but I'd rather study an application of it than in it's purety [ though that's still not out of the question ].

So right now I'm considering getting a Physics degree, or maybe an Engineering [ still not sure what - anyone help? ] or an Applied Math degree [ with a specialization closely related to the previous two ].

Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Of course I'm also considering a double major.

Although what to major on is still a question for me.

Quick answer... Do what you love. To be successful in school, you're going to have to spend a LOT of time working on it.

Myself, I'm a full-time software developer with degrees in Physics (undergrad) and Applied Math (master's). I have never found the lack of an "engineering" degree to be a handicap in my work. Of course, your mileage may vary.

I would love to do ANY of these. I guess my question would be more about my future after studying. I'm planning to continue on to graduate school, but other than academia work, what other opportunities are there?

I'm leaning towards:

1. applied math (any ideas for a double major?)
2. physics (with a math double major)
3. engineering (unsure what speciality, again with a math double major)

Depends on the school, but doing a second degree to go with an engineering degree is a pretty tall order

Yeah that's what people are telling me. So if I do take the engineering path it would probably just be that or a minor in something.

1. What is the difference between a physics degree, engineering degree, and applied math degree?

A physics degree focuses on the fundamental principles and laws of nature, such as motion, energy, and matter. Engineering degrees, on the other hand, apply these principles to design and build structures, systems, and devices. Applied math degrees use mathematical models and techniques to solve real-world problems in various fields, including physics and engineering.

2. Which degree is better for a career in research?

All three degrees can lead to a career in research, but a physics degree may be more focused on theoretical research, while engineering degrees may be more practical and applied in nature. Applied math degrees can also lead to research careers, particularly in the fields of data analysis and modeling.

3. Which degree offers the most job opportunities?

All three degrees offer diverse job opportunities, but engineering degrees tend to have a wider range of options due to their practical and applied nature. Physics degrees may be more focused on research and academic careers, while applied math degrees can lead to jobs in various industries, such as finance, technology, and healthcare.

4. Is one degree more challenging than the others?

All three degrees require a strong understanding of math and science, but the level of difficulty may vary depending on individual strengths and interests. Physics degrees may require a deeper understanding of theoretical concepts, while engineering degrees may involve more hands-on work. Applied math degrees may require a strong foundation in both math and science.

5. Can I switch between these degrees if I change my mind?

It is possible to switch between these degrees, but it may require additional coursework and may delay graduation. It is important to carefully research and consider your interests, skills, and career goals before choosing a degree program.