U-shaped tube, pressure problem, what am i doing wrong?

In summary, the question is asking for the force pushing down on the left side of a U-shaped tube filled with water, given that the right side has a higher water level and a force of 138N acting on it. The solution involves using the equations P=F/A and P=Pnaught+rho*g*h to find the extra pressure needed to lift the water on the right side, which is then used to calculate the force on the left side using the given area.
jenzao

Homework Statement

What am I doing wrong in this pressure problem?
a U-shaped tube is filled with water.
left side area of opening is .05m^2
right side is .08m^2
the right side water level is .43m HIGHER than the left side, because two pistons push down on either side with different force on each side.
the force pushing down on right side is 138N

Q: What is the force pushing down on left side?

Homework Equations

I know that P=F/A and also P= Pnaught + rho*g*h

The Attempt at a Solution

so i rearrange to get F=PA
and P=rho*g*h (because i can factor out air pressure (Pnaught) because of the pistons,
so i now have F= rho*g*h*A
This is wrong though, and i can't figure out why, please help! thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are looking for the extra pressure needed to make the side 0.43m higher
So you need the pressure to lift 0.43m of water, this is just the static pressure at the bottom of that extra water column.

The extra pressure on the input piston is the same as this - then to get the force just use the area - be carefu about which area you are using.

It seems like you have the right equations and approach to solving this problem. However, it's important to note that the pressure on each side of the U-shaped tube is equal, despite the different forces pushing down on each side. This is due to the fact that the water is at the same height on both sides of the tube, creating an equilibrium of pressure. So, the equation you should be using is P = F/A, where P is the pressure on both sides of the tube. To solve for the force on the left side, you can rearrange the equation to F = P*A. You can then plug in the known values of P (which is the same on both sides) and A (from the given area of the opening) to solve for the force on the left side. I hope this helps!

1. What is a U-shaped tube and how does it work?

A U-shaped tube is a simple apparatus used to demonstrate the principles of fluid pressure and equilibrium. It consists of a tube bent into the shape of a "U" and partially filled with a liquid, usually water. The liquid levels in the two arms of the U-shaped tube will always be at the same height due to the pressure exerted by the liquid.

2. Why is the pressure not equal on both sides of the U-shaped tube?

The pressure in a U-shaped tube is determined by the height of the liquid column and the density of the liquid. If one side of the tube has a longer column of liquid or a denser liquid, the pressure will be greater on that side. This creates an imbalance of pressure and causes the liquid to flow from one side of the tube to the other until equilibrium is reached.

3. How can I use a U-shaped tube to measure pressure?

To measure pressure using a U-shaped tube, you can add a pressure source, such as a pump, to one side of the tube. This will increase the pressure on that side and cause the liquid to flow to the other side until the pressure is equalized. By measuring the height of the liquid column on the pressure side, you can calculate the pressure exerted by the source.

4. What could be causing my U-shaped tube to not reach equilibrium?

If your U-shaped tube is not reaching equilibrium, there could be several factors at play. It is possible that there is a leak in the tube or that the liquid levels are not accurately measured. It is also important to make sure that the tube is level and free from any air bubbles, as these can affect the pressure readings.

5. How can I troubleshoot my U-shaped tube experiment?

If you are having trouble with your U-shaped tube experiment, there are a few things you can try. First, double check all of your measurements and make sure the tube is properly set up. You can also try using different liquids with varying densities to see how it affects the pressure. If the issue persists, it may be helpful to consult with a science teacher or expert for further guidance.