Enhancing Magnesium-Water Reaction with Pressure and Temperature

In summary, the conversation discusses the mixing of magnesium and water in a small container with a ball valve, and how the reaction is not producing enough hydrogen to reach a desired pressure. There are suggestions of using a larger container or controlling the temperature, as well as the possibility of losses through tiny pores. The conversation also touches on the concept of Le Châtelier's principle and its application in this reaction. It is mentioned that the reaction is more vigorous with hot water or steam.
davo
So i am mixing Magnesium and water (the MRE heaters) in about a .3 mL container with a ball valve. It's reacting but not as well as usual, like in an unpressurized container such as a 2 liter coke bottle. It's just not producing enough Hydrogen (yes my calculations and ratios are correct) to get a good enough pressure of about 2.5 atm or 50 psi.

Please let me know if you have ANY ideas as to what I can do.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Of course it does. p*V is energy. If a reaction forms gas, then increased pressure will force the equilibrium towards in whatever direction that lowers the pressure.

That's basic high-school chemistry, really.

davo said:
So i am mixing Magnesium and water (the MRE heaters) in about a .3 mL container with a ball valve. It's reacting but not as well as usual, like in an unpressurized container such as a 2 liter coke bottle. It's just not producing enough Hydrogen (yes my calculations and ratios are correct) to get a good enough pressure of about 2.5 atm or 50 psi.

Do you mean that you have tried with a 2 liter coke bottle at controlled temperature? If the T is not controlled, then it's normal that in a small container the T don't rise as much as in a larger one (because of the ratio volume/container surface)

lightarrow said:
Do you mean that you have tried with a 2 liter coke bottle at controlled temperature? If the T is not controlled, then it's normal that in a small container the T don't rise as much as in a larger one (because of the ratio volume/container surface)

We are using metal piping with a volume of .03 L. Is it that the volume is smaller so therefore we are not getting enough temperature out of the reaction and therefore not getting enough pressure? We can get the temperature of the reaction to about 100 degrees Celsius through calorimetry and we can feel the temperature increase inside the metal piping but we cannot get nearly enough pressure to launch a projectile (We are creating a chemical based propellant for our cannon in our high school Chemistry class).

davo said:

In the case where gas is generated ... yes , there may be more instances , some physical processes such as boiling point depend on the pressure since the liquid needs to expand for cavities - or bubbles - to arise. We once had a massive hydrogen peroxide incident at the workplace within production and wanted to replicate the situation in the lab for investigation ... the lab demo was not on the scale of what happened simply because in the latter situation the tank was closed and the heat was confined within the tank.

Hydrogen can easily pass through very tiny pores, so maybe there are losses. H2 molecules can pass even through metal, and it dissolves in most substances.

How much water an magnesium is in that 3ml container anyway?

In case of an increase in pressure, the equilibrium will, according to Le Châtelier counter this increase in pressure. It does so by shifting to the side with the least particles
This is because less particles cause less collisions and thus less pressure?

But according to p = nRT / V an increase in pressure can also be countered by a decrease in temperature, so will an equilibrium also shift to the endothermic side?

By the way, it seems to be a general nature law (Le Châtelier, Lenz, ... ) that a system will try to counter change, why is that?

System has some amount of internal energy that it can spend during reaction - the harder it gets, the shorter it can proceed.

That's what (important part of) thermodynamics is about.

This reaction only happens vigorously if you have hot water or steam, so this may be the reason you are getting very little hydrogen.

Wikipedia:
magnesium reacts with water at room temperature, though it reacts much more slowly than calcium. When it is submerged in water, hydrogen bubbles will almost unnoticeably begin to form on the surface of the metal, though if powdered it will react much more rapidly. The reaction will occur faster with higher temperatures.

1. Can increasing pressure prevent a chemical reaction from occurring?

No, increasing pressure alone cannot stop a chemical reaction from occurring. However, it can affect the rate at which the reaction takes place.

2. How does pressure affect a chemical reaction?

Pressure affects a chemical reaction by altering the concentration of the reactants. This can lead to a change in the reaction rate and the final products formed.

3. Can pressure be used to control the speed of a reaction?

Yes, pressure can be used to control the speed of a reaction by altering the concentration of the reactants. Higher pressure can increase the rate of reaction, while lower pressure can slow it down.

4. Is pressure the only factor that affects the rate of a reaction?

No, pressure is not the only factor that affects the rate of a reaction. Other factors such as temperature, concentration of reactants, and the presence of catalysts also play a significant role in the rate of a reaction.

5. Can pressure be used to completely stop a reaction?

No, pressure alone cannot completely stop a reaction. However, it can be used in combination with other methods such as cooling or adding an inhibitor to effectively stop a reaction.