Dark Fringe Ratios: Which Slit is Widest and What is the Ratio?

In summary, the single slit interference pattern is different depending on the angle at which the light is shone onto the slit. With slit 1, the first dark fringe is observed at an angle of 45 degrees, while with slit 2, the first dark fringe is observed at an angle of 55 degrees.
wilson_chem90

Homework Statement

Two different single slits are used in an experiment involving one source of monochromatic light. With slit 1 in place, the first dark fringe is observed at an angle of 45 degrees. With slit 2, the first dark fringe is observed at an angle of 55 degrees.

a) Which slit is widest? Why?
b) What is the ratio of the largest slit to the smallest?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a) Slit 1 would have the larger width length because once an angle increases the intensity of the maxima decreases. Since slit 1 has a smaller angle, it therefore has a larger width.

b) I'm onestly not sure how to get the ratio, simply because of the lack of information.. I'm not sure if i have to estimate the question or there's an actual full calculation. If anyone has suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
but I am still lacking information though. I don't have wavelength or anything.

Just go ahead and try! You likely won't be able to find the slit width, but you may well get something like the ratio of slit width to wavelength for slit 1 and the same for slit 2. Then taking the ratio of them, the wavelength would cancel out and you'll have your answer.

ohhhh i get it. so basically I am just setting them to each other. Well what i did was i had wavelength 1/wavelength 2 = dsinO1/dsinO2, then i canceled the wavelengths and got d2/d1 = sin02/sin01. Then i plugged the numbers in and got 0.81:0.71. Not sure if that's correct though.

According to the Wikipedia article, the single slit formula is
d*sin(A) = n*lambda
so you have d1*sin(45) = lambda
and d2*sin(55) = lambda
to work with. I think you have something upside down in your equation.

but don't you have to set them equal each other, as in dividing them from one another? like d1/d2 = sin(45)/sin(55) ?

if i do all of the steps i get 0.41:0.71

like d1/d2 = sin(45)/sin(55) ?
Surely it is d1/d2 = sin(55)/sin(45).

i get the same answer as my original attempt if i do it that way

d1/d2 = sin(55)/sin(45) = 1.16 would be the final answer for (b).

yeah but that's not a ratio though... I am supposed to find the ratio not a final answer right

Yes, it is the ratio of d1 to d2, the slit width in case 1 to the slit width in case 2.

so its 1.16 between the 2 slits?

Well, that's what I got. But you need to work it out yourself. I'm notorious for making mistakes in the arithmetic.

What is a "Dark Fringe Ratios Question"?

A "Dark Fringe Ratios Question" is a type of scientific question that involves calculating the ratio of dark fringes to bright fringes in an interference pattern. It is commonly used in optics and wave physics experiments to determine the wavelength of light or the spacing between two slits.

How do you calculate the dark fringe ratio?

To calculate the dark fringe ratio, you need to count the number of dark fringes and bright fringes in an interference pattern. Then, divide the number of dark fringes by the total number of fringes (both dark and bright). The result is the dark fringe ratio.

Why is the dark fringe ratio important in scientific experiments?

The dark fringe ratio is important because it can provide valuable information about the characteristics of light waves and the properties of the medium through which they are passing. It can also help scientists determine the accuracy and precision of their experimental setup.

What factors can affect the dark fringe ratio?

The dark fringe ratio can be affected by several factors such as the wavelength of light, the distance between the light source and the slits, the distance between the slits, and the medium through which the light is passing. Any changes in these factors can alter the interference pattern and therefore, the dark fringe ratio.

How can the dark fringe ratio be used to determine the wavelength of light?

By using the dark fringe ratio and other known variables, such as the distance between the slits, the wavelength of light can be calculated using the equation λ = mλ/d, where m is the order of the dark fringe, λ is the wavelength of light, and d is the distance between the slits. This allows scientists to accurately determine the wavelength of light being used in their experiments.