Where Can I Find Help Understanding Kinematics Equations for Pelican Diving?

In summary, the conversation is about a pelican diving for fish and the time and distance involved in its dive. The problem involves finding the minimum height at which a fish must spot the pelican in order to escape. The solution requires using kinematic equations, specifically s=y_{i}+v_{i}t+\frac{1}{2}at^{2}, to find the time and distance of the pelican's free fall.
yoyo2112

Homework Statement

Pelicans tuck their winds and free fall straight down when diving for fish. Suppose a pelican starts its dive form a height of 20.0 m and cannot change its path once commited (uniform motion). If it takes a fish 0.1 s to perform evasive action, at what min height must it spot the pelican in order to escape

Homework Equations

No Clue

The Attempt at a Solution

Stumped

I have tried in numerous times but was away for a lesson and don't have a clue to what is going on

Please Help

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Find the time t taken by the pelican to reach the water from 20 m.
Then find the distance covered by the pelican in (t - 0.1) seconds. And proceed.

You will need [tex]s=y_{i}+v_{i}t+\frac{1}{2}at^{2}[/tex]

How long does it take the pelican to free fall to the water? How much time before that must the fish react?

OO thanks for the reply guys. Do you know where i can get a list of all these equations (kinematics)

Do you have a textbook?

What are the basic kinematics equations?

The basic kinematics equations are equations that describe the motion of an object in terms of its position, velocity, and acceleration. They are commonly used in physics and engineering to analyze and predict the motion of objects.

What is the difference between displacement and distance?

Displacement is the change in an object's position from its initial point to its final point, while distance is the total path length traveled by the object. Displacement is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, while distance is a scalar quantity, only having magnitude.

How do you calculate average velocity?

Average velocity is calculated by dividing the change in displacement by the change in time. This can be represented by the equation v = (xf-xi)/(tf-ti), where v is average velocity, xf and xi are final and initial displacements, and tf and ti are final and initial times.

What is the difference between average velocity and instantaneous velocity?

Average velocity is the total displacement divided by the total time, while instantaneous velocity is the velocity at a specific moment in time. Average velocity can be calculated over a range of time, while instantaneous velocity is only for a specific instant.

How do you use kinematics equations to solve problems?

To use kinematics equations to solve problems, you must first identify what is known and what is unknown. Then, choose the appropriate equation that relates the known and unknown variables. Substitute the known values into the equation and solve for the unknown variable. Finally, check your answer for accuracy and units.