Min coeff. of fric. b/t block & surface that would be req. to keep block from moving?

In summary, the question is asking for the minimum coefficient of friction between a block and a surface to keep the block from moving. One method to solve this is to first find the acceleration without friction, and then calculate the minimum friction needed to counter the applied force. Another method is to set the tension force equal to the block's weight times the coefficient of friction, and solve for the coefficient. Both methods should result in the same answer, and the required coefficient is proportional to the tension force.
Kaxa2000
Minimum coefficient of friction b/t block and surface that would be required to keep block from moving?

I first solved to find the acceleration w/o friction since friction wasn't given in the problem. How do I solve for the min friction to keep the block from moving? Do I set the block's acceleration to zero and factor in static friction and then solve?

Hopefully you guys know what I mean..if not let me know

Physics news on Phys.org

I'm assuming you are given a force that will be acting on the block, and the blocks mass?
Remember that [tex]F_{f}=\mu_{s}N[/tex]. You hopefully know both the normal force and the frictional force required to counter whatever force is being exerted on the block. Can you solve for the coefficient of friction?

Is that what you were looking for?

There's a tension on the block, normal force, and gravity...but the problem doesn't mention a friction. So I first solved the problem for acceleration without friction at all. But then the problem proceeds to ask what coefficient of friction I would need to prevent the block from moving at all.

At first I did:

T = max

since tension is the only thing acting on the block

I didn't include friction since problem doesn't give friction.

Now to get the coefficient of friction to keep it from moving would I do this?

-Fs + T = 0?

Fs = usN being the static friction

and solve from there?

thats all i need to know

Last edited:

Couldn't I also set The Tension equal to the weight times the friction and solve for friction? I solved it both ways(this way and the way I explained in my previous post) and got the same answer of 1.02 as my coefficient of static friction.

The tension = 100N

the w = mg

=(10kg)(9.81m/s^2) = 98.1N

100N = (98.1N)(Fs)

= 1.02Doesn't this seem a little to high though? The weight of the block is 10kg and the weight of the mass hanging by a pulley on it is 100N = 10.2 kg. You would think not much friction is required to keep it from moving...I'm not sure...any input?

You essentially did the same thing in both methods no?

The required coefficient is proportional to the tension force.

1. What is the minimum coefficient of friction required to keep a block from moving?

The minimum coefficient of friction required to keep a block from moving depends on the weight of the block, the surface it is resting on, and the force acting on it. It is a measure of the amount of friction between two surfaces.

2. How is the coefficient of friction determined?

The coefficient of friction is determined by dividing the force needed to overcome friction by the weight of the object. This gives a unitless value that represents the roughness and stickiness of the surfaces in contact.

3. What factors affect the coefficient of friction between a block and a surface?

The coefficient of friction can be affected by the type of material the block and surface are made of, the roughness of the surfaces, and the force pushing the two surfaces together. Other factors can include temperature, humidity, and any lubrication present.

4. Can the coefficient of friction be negative?

No, the coefficient of friction cannot be negative. It is always a positive value, as it represents the resistance to motion between two surfaces. A negative value would imply that the force needed to overcome friction is less than the weight of the object.

5. How can the coefficient of friction be increased?

The coefficient of friction can be increased by increasing the weight of the object, using rougher surfaces, or increasing the force pushing the two surfaces together. Additionally, using materials with a higher coefficient of friction, such as rubber or sandpaper, can also increase the coefficient of friction between the block and surface.