Discovering the Power of a 1.4L Car Engine's Starter Motor: An Equation Guide

• Thread starter elephunk
  • Start date
In summary: The power of the starter motor was found to be be 17.98W. The cars engine is a 1.4L. What's the equation used to find the power of this starter motor?The equation used to find the power of this starter motor is: P = W x H.
elephunk
Basically using the engine size, the power of the starter motor was found to be be 17.98w. The cars engine is a 1.4L. What's the equation used to find the power of this starter motor?

Basically I need to find how they got this so I can move onto my next part of the coursework.

Would be grateful for any assistance.

Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
elephunk said:
Basically using the engine size, the power of the starter motor was found to be be 17.98w. The cars engine is a 1.4L. What's the equation used to find the power of this starter motor?

Basically I need to find how they got this so I can move onto my next part of the coursework.

Would be grateful for any assistance.

Thanks,

What are your thoughts on this? Hint -- think initially in terms of torque, rather than power.

Am I supposed to be looking at the torque equation?

torque = r x F??

elephunk said:
Am I supposed to be looking at the torque equation?

torque = r x F??

Partly. What resists the turning of the crankshaft of the motor while you are trying to start it? You need to overcome that resistance to turning, correct?

The engine oil. Its cold and not up to temperature.

It seems like the atmospheric temperature is meant to be -20 for this assignment. Yes, I have to overcome that resistance. How do I overcome it though if I don't have a value for it?

Sorry for being so confused!

elephunk said:
The engine oil. Its cold and not up to temperature.

It seems like the atmospheric temperature is meant to be -20 for this assignment. Yes, I have to overcome that resistance. How do I overcome it though if I don't have a value for it?

Sorry for being so confused!

No, that's a small part of it. Think about pull-starting a lawn mower, or kick-starting a dirtbike. What causes all that resistance that you feel?

Are you pretty familiar with how internal combustion piston engines work? There's a pretty good intro article at HowStuffWorks.com:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/engine1.htm

The animation of the 4-stroke engine cycle is pretty helpful.

I'm pretty familiar with them but can't think of what this resistance could be. I'm thinking its crank resistance through the crankshaft. Is that correct? I've never pull started a mower (all electric here) or kick started a dirtbike :(

I haven't got two deep down with cars either :(

From the engine web page that I linked to, what are the 4 parts of the 4-stroke engine cycle? If the engine is being cranked trying to start, what is missing so far from those 4 parts of the cycle? But what is still present?

Only intake and combustion will be present when the engine is trying to start. Correct?

elephunk said:
Only intake and combustion will be present when the engine is trying to start. Correct?

No, combustion is the thing that's not happening yet. What are the other parts of the cycle?

(I have to bail for a few hours. Will try to check back later tonight.)

Sorry, I mean intake and compression (its late here :P )

elephunk said:
Sorry, I mean intake and compression (its late here :P )

No worries. There's also the exhaust stroke, where the (unburnt during starting) mixture is blown out the exhaust valve. So on intake the intake valve is open, and on exhaust the exhaust valve is open. What valves are open on compression? What does that mean about the resistance you might feel on the crankshaft during these three parts of the 4-stroke starting cycle?

On compression they are closed. Is this the resistance??

Thanks,

elephunk said:
On compression they are closed. Is this the resistance??

Thanks,

Yes, good. The resistance to turning the crankshaft during starting is from the compression of the cylinders. Now you need to calculate what that resistance is, and convert it into the starting torque required. That will be how you size the starter electric motor.

That 17.98 watts seems suspiciously low.

Maybe 17.98 KW? That's about 24 HP which could be reasonable, but maybe a bit high.

Perhaps 1798 watts. 12 V at 150 amps is in the right area. Maybe that decimal point was just not meant to be there.

1. How was the answer found using the scientific method?

The scientific method is a systematic approach to solving problems and answering questions through observation, hypothesis formation, experimentation, and analysis of results. By following this method, scientists are able to test their ideas and theories and come to a logical conclusion based on evidence.

2. What role do experiments play in finding the answer?

Experiments are a crucial part of the scientific method as they allow scientists to test their hypotheses and gather data to support or refute their ideas. By controlling variables and conducting experiments, scientists can gather evidence to support their findings and ultimately find the answer to their question.

3. How do scientists ensure the accuracy of their findings?

Scientists use various methods to ensure the accuracy of their findings, including using controlled experiments, replicating results, and peer-reviewing their work. By following these practices, scientists can minimize bias and errors in their research and increase the validity of their findings.

4. What role does data analysis play in finding the answer?

Data analysis is a crucial step in the scientific method as it allows scientists to make sense of the data they have collected during their experiments. By analyzing the data, scientists can identify patterns, trends, and correlations that can help them draw conclusions and find the answer to their research question.

5. Can the answer ever change based on new evidence?

In the scientific community, findings and answers are always subject to change based on new evidence. This is because science is a constantly evolving process, and new discoveries and advancements can challenge previous theories and ideas. Scientists are open to revising their findings based on new evidence, which helps to improve our understanding of the world around us.