HELP : Q12 of Ch. 02 of Fundamentals of Physics, Resnick

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a rapidly growing plant that doubles in height each week and reaches the height of a building by the 25th day. The question asks at what time the plant was one-fourth the height of the building. After some attempts at a solution and clarification on the topic, it was determined that the problem has nothing to do with kinematics and the solution was found by working backwards from the time when the plant was the height of the building. The final solution was that on the 11th day, the plant was one-fourth the height of the building.
dawoodvora

Homework Statement

A rapidly growing plant doubles in height each week. At the end of the 25th day, the plant reaches the height of a building. At what time was the plant one-fourth the height of the building?

Homework Equations

The problem is a part of chapter which deals only with linear kinematics. But I cannot understand, which part of 4, general kinematic equation, I must apply.

The Attempt at a Solution

It looks like a case of geometric progression, But I am not able to get a start
Also, I tried to start it by actually creating a table where there are three columns.
column 1 = no. of weeks
column 2 = initial height
column 3 = final height.

After that I drew blank.....

Physics news on Phys.org
Work backwards from the time that the plant was the height of the building. When was it 1/2 the height of the building? When was it 1/4 the height of the building?

This problem has nothing to do with kinematics.

Hello Mark44,
U r DAMN RIGHT!

Once, I saw through your eyes, the prob was as clear as water

On 25th day height is h
On (25-7)= 18, height will be h/2
On (18-7) = 11, height will be (h/2)/2 = h/4

Beauty......

ThnX......a LooooooooooooooooooooT

1. What is the significance of Q12 in Chapter 02 of Fundamentals of Physics by Resnick?

Q12 in Chapter 02 of Fundamentals of Physics by Resnick is a conceptual question that tests the understanding of linear motion and its relationship with acceleration.

2. Can you explain the process of solving Q12 in Chapter 02 of Fundamentals of Physics by Resnick?

Solving Q12 requires the use of the equations of motion, specifically the equation v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time. The given data, including the initial and final velocities and the time, can be used to solve for the unknown acceleration value.

3. Is Q12 in Chapter 02 of Fundamentals of Physics by Resnick a difficult question to solve?

Q12 may be challenging for some individuals as it requires a strong grasp of the equations of motion and their application to solve a conceptual problem. However, with practice and understanding of the concepts, it can be easily solved.

4. Can you provide any tips or tricks for solving Q12 in Chapter 02 of Fundamentals of Physics by Resnick?

One helpful tip is to draw a diagram to visualize the problem and identify the given values. It is also important to carefully read the question and understand what is being asked before attempting to solve it. Additionally, double-checking the calculations and units can help avoid errors.

5. Are there any real-life applications of the concepts used in solving Q12 in Chapter 02 of Fundamentals of Physics by Resnick?

Yes, the concepts used in solving Q12, such as linear motion and acceleration, are applicable to real-life scenarios, such as the motion of vehicles, projectiles, and even sports. Understanding these concepts can help in predicting and analyzing the motion of objects in everyday life.