Finding Fundamental Group: Step-by-Step Guide

In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of fundamental groups and how to find them for different types of spaces. The examples given included closed subsets in R3, the one point compactification of a disjoint union of two open discs in R2, and a space of upper triangular matrices with determinant equal to 1. The conversation concluded with a recommendation to study algebraic topology to better understand the topic. It was also mentioned that the fundamental groups for the given examples were 0, 0, and Z, respectively.
curtdbz
I'm studying for an exam which is a couple months away and I found an old exam which asks the following:

Find the fundamental group of:
a) The closed subset in R3 given by the equation x - y^2 -z^2 = in the standard coordinates.
b) The closed subset in R3 given by the equation x - y^2 -z^2 + 1 = in the standard coordinates.
c) The one point compactifcation of the disjoint union of two open discs in R^2
d) The space of upper triangular matrices of the size 2 by 2 over C (complex) with derminant equal to 1 considered as a closed subspace in the vector space of all matrices of the size 2 by 2 over C (complex).
Explain.

Now,my book (as well as Wikipedia) both define the fundamental group similarly. That is: fundamental group is a group associated to any given pointed topological space that provides a way of determining when two paths, starting and ending at a fixed base point, can be continuously deformed into each other.

What I want to know is how to solve the above? In my book, there are no examples of such things. I want to know if there is a step by step process for each, or if each case is completely different. Thank you for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's better for you to pick up any book on algebraic topology (hatcher for instance) and read it.

(a), (b) both spaces should be contractible if I'm not mistaken. So pi_1 = 0
(c) The space is just S^2 v S^2, again pi_1 = 0. (To be more rigorous you may need some Seifert VanKampen here)
(d) The space is homeomorphic to [tex]\mathbb{C} - 0 \times \mathbb{C}[/tex] (why?), so pi_1 = [tex]\pi_1 (\mathbb{C} - 0) = \pi_1 (S^1) = \mathbb{Z}[/tex]

What is a fundamental group?

A fundamental group is a mathematical concept in topology that describes the structure and connectivity of a topological space. It is a group of symmetries of the space that are preserved when the space is deformed or stretched.

Why is it important to find the fundamental group of a space?

Finding the fundamental group of a space is important because it can give insight into the topological properties of the space. It can also help determine if two spaces are topologically equivalent or if a space is simply connected (has a trivial fundamental group).

What is the process for finding the fundamental group of a space?

The process for finding the fundamental group of a space involves several steps. First, we need to choose a basepoint in the space. Then, we construct a set of loops based at the basepoint and determine which loops are homotopic to each other. Finally, we group together all homotopy classes of loops and this forms the fundamental group of the space.

What is a homotopy class of loops?

A homotopy class of loops is a set of loops that are considered equivalent under the concept of homotopy. Two loops are homotopic if one can be continuously deformed into the other while keeping the endpoints fixed. This means that all loops in a homotopy class can be transformed into each other without breaking or stretching the space.

What are some techniques for determining the fundamental group of a space?

There are several techniques for determining the fundamental group of a space, including using the fundamental group theorem, identifying the space as a quotient space, using van Kampen's theorem, and using covering spaces. Each technique has its own advantages and may be more useful for different types of spaces.