What is the Relationship Between Currents in Three Branches of a Circuit?

• Thread starter lampshader
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Currents
In summary, the total current in a circuit with three branches is generally the sum of the current through the resistors. However, this only applies if the resistors are of equal resistance. If one resistor has a higher resistance than the others, the current in that resistor will be lower. Ohm's law can be used to calculate the current in each resistor.
lampshader
I am doing some work with electric circuits and just have a general question. With the concern of a given current in three branches of a circuit, is the total current the sum of the current through the resistors? Are they all equal, or does half of the current flow through each resistor? I think that they are all equal, but my partner in crime thinks that all of the total current flows through the smallest resistor. Which I highly doubt.

I guess what I am asking is:

concerning the currents in the three branches of the circuit: are they all equal, does half of the current flow through each resisotr, or does the total current flow through the smallest resistor; like my friend is suggesting.

I would appreciate some feedback today if possible. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Without a diagram of your circuit I'll have to guess.
Generally yes, the total current is the sum of the current through the resistors. This assumes you have two resistors in parallel.
The current will be equal in two parallel resistors only if they are of equal resistance.
If one is bigger than the other, the current in each will be different and in inverse proportion to the values. For example, if A is twice the resistance of B, the current in B will be twice that in A.

lampshader said:
I am doing some work with electric circuits and just have a general question. With the concern of a given current in three branches of a circuit, is the total current the sum of the current through the resistors? Are they all equal, or does half of the current flow through each resistor? I think that they are all equal, but my partner in crime thinks that all of the total current flows through the smallest resistor. Which I highly doubt.

I guess what I am asking is:

concerning the currents in the three branches of the circuit: are they all equal, does half of the current flow through each resisotr, or does the total current flow through the smallest resistor; like my friend is suggesting.

I would appreciate some feedback today if possible. Thanks!

Resistors in parallel each have the same voltage drop and resistors in series each have the same current. With this you can answer your question, kind of. Also with this information and Ohm's law you can derive both formulas for parallel and series resistance, see any physics book, or see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Series_and_parallel_circuits

What are the three branches of currents?

The three branches of currents are direct current (DC), alternating current (AC), and pulsed direct current (PDC). DC flows in one direction, AC alternates direction periodically, and PDC is a combination of both.

How do currents flow through a circuit?

Currents flow through a circuit by creating a complete loop. The electricity flows from a power source, through a conductor (such as a wire), and back to the power source.

What is the difference between AC and DC currents?

The main difference between AC and DC currents is the direction of flow. AC alternates direction, while DC flows in one direction. Additionally, AC currents are more commonly used for long-distance power transmission, whereas DC currents are used for smaller devices and electronics.

What are the applications of PDC currents?

PDC currents are commonly used in electrotherapy and electrochemical processes. They are also used in some medical treatments and industrial processes.

How do currents affect the human body?

The effects of currents on the human body depend on the type and strength of the current. In general, currents can cause muscle contractions, nerve damage, burns, and even cardiac arrest. It is important to handle electricity safely and use proper protective measures when working with currents.