Ball falls from top of cliff; kinematics

In summary: Then isolate 't' to find the value of 't'.In summary, two balls are dropped, one from rest from the top of a cliff and the other thrown straight upwards at the same time. Their initial velocities are the same and their motions are the reverse of each other. To determine how far below the top of the cliff the balls cross paths, the equations x = u(t) + 0.5(g)(t)^2 and -x = -0.5(g)(t)^2 are used, where h is the height of the cliff and t is the time. After solving the equations, it is found that the balls meet after a certain time t, and the distance from the top of the cliff can be
dansunefusee

Homework Statement

A ball is dropped from rest from the top of a cliff that is 17.4 m high. From ground level, a second ball is thrown straight upward at the same instant that the first ball is dropped. The initial speed of the second ball is exactly the same as that with which the first ball eventually hits the ground. In the absence of air resistance, the motions of the balls are just the reverse of each other. Determine how far below the top of the cliff the balls cross paths.

Ball 1:
u1 (initial velocity)= 0 m/s
g= -9.81 m/s2
H (height of cliff)= -17.4m
V1 (final velocity)= ?

Ball 2:
u2= V1= ?

Unknowns:
t= ?
x (where balls meet above the ground)= ?

Homework Equations

V2=u2 + 2ax
x = u(t) + 0.5(g)(t)2

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I calculated the final velocity (V1) of Ball 1 as so:
V12=u2 + 2ax
V1= sqrt[(0m/s)2 + 2(-9.81m/s2)(-17.4m)
V1= 18.4673m/s ~18.47m/s

Therefore, the u2 (initial velocity) of Ball 2 is also 18.47m/s.

I know that the next step is to calculate the time by using x = u(t) + 0.5(g)(t)2, but I'm not sure on how to manipulate the equation to fit the criteria of this problem. Please help me!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi dansunefusee. welcome to PF.

Both the balls start simultaneously. When they meet they must have traveled same duration t s. If x is the distance from the top of the cliff, then for the falling ball
-x = -1/2*g*t^2...(1)
For the ball going up
h - x = ut - 1/2*g*t^2 ...(2)
Where h is the height of the cliff. Solve the two equations and find the time t.

Thank you! :) I'll need all the help I can get from PF this year. Haha.

To make sure I am doing this right, I would need to combine the 2 equations just to find time?

Given equations:
1) -x = -1/2*g*t^2
2) h - x = ut - 1/2*g*t^2

Therefore, I would plug the 1st equation for the -x variable in the 2nd equation to get:

h - (-1/2*g*t2) = ut - 1/2*g*t2

Then isolate the time (t) variable by itself?

:confused:

Hey , after you take the time(t) , substitute it to (1) equation , then x will come,

dansunefusee said:
Thank you! :) I'll need all the help I can get from PF this year. Haha.

To make sure I am doing this right, I would need to combine the 2 equations just to find time?

Given equations:
1) -x = -1/2*g*t^2
2) h - x = ut - 1/2*g*t^2

Therefore, I would plug the 1st equation for the -x variable in the 2nd equation to get:

h - (-1/2*g*t2) = ut - 1/2*g*t2

Then isolate the time (t) variable by itself?

:confused:

This step is wrong.

It should be h - 1/2*g*t2 = ut - 1/2*g*t2

1. How long does it take for the ball to reach the ground?

The time it takes for the ball to reach the ground depends on the height of the cliff and the acceleration due to gravity. Using the equation t = √(2h/g), where t is the time, h is the height, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), we can calculate the time it takes for the ball to reach the ground.

2. What is the velocity of the ball when it reaches the ground?

The velocity of the ball when it reaches the ground is equal to the initial velocity plus the acceleration due to gravity multiplied by the time it takes to reach the ground. So, v = u + gt, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time.

3. How far does the ball travel horizontally before hitting the ground?

The horizontal distance traveled by the ball depends on the initial velocity and the time it takes to reach the ground. Assuming there is no air resistance, the horizontal distance can be calculated using the equation d = ut, where d is the horizontal distance, u is the initial velocity, and t is the time.

4. Does the mass of the ball affect its motion?

Yes, the mass of the ball does have an effect on its motion. According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. So, a heavier ball would experience a greater force due to gravity and therefore have a faster acceleration compared to a lighter ball.

5. How does air resistance affect the motion of the ball?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can affect the motion of the ball by slowing it down. As the ball falls, it experiences a force in the opposite direction of its motion due to air resistance. This force increases as the speed of the ball increases, eventually reaching a point where it balances out the force due to gravity. This is known as terminal velocity, and at this point, the ball will no longer accelerate and will continue to fall at a constant speed.